Stratford to Gloucester and beyond.

eid

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Funny, loads of brand new hirers, some with only a few hours experience, not days manage OK every season

I thought the same, plenty of hire boats are seen in Gloucester Docks.

However, on one occasion I asked the lock keeper if I could lock out of the docks but he said I had to wait until the day boat had been recovered from the weir.

9 hours ago, eid said:

Glad I made this post as I really had no idea. I'm sure I read in another post that going to Gloucester was just like going up a canal. I definitely got that idea in my head from somewhere anyway.

If you go down when the river is low and there's no tide, the eastern channel like a canal - lots of overhanging or fallen trees, murky water, floating debris, not much flow!

Worth noting that the entrance to Glos Lock when there is any flow can be interesting as the current sweeps from left to right across it. Aim for the left-hand gate and go at it a bit faster than one would normally. Also, make sure the lockie knows that you're coming by phone or VHF 74 from the upper parting with a second call when you're passing the bridges above the lock. If you have to tie to the wall outside the lock, use stern line only.

Martin/

ps bother, the posting has gone berserk!!!! Can't get rid of the spurious stuff below.

9 hours ago, eid said:

9 hours ago, eid said:

9 hours ago, eid said:
Edited by Onewheeler

4 hours ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

Which weir is that, out of interest?

3 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

I saw one on a weir at Nafford lock on the Avon.It's been there a good few years as they can't get to it safely.Haven't noticed one on the Severn.

Yes, that's the one, on the Avon. That is the river where some of the weirs are unprotected or have gaps in the protection, as I recall the one's on the Severn are all fully boomed. In my defence the OP did say,".... would like to go to Gloucester, through Stratford, on the River Avon...." and personally, unless someone invents a water handbrake for boats:wacko: I wouldn't go on any substantial river without an anchor.

We were held up at Marcliff Lock a while ago by a hire boat, fresh out of Bidford with a young family aboard, which was broadside on to the weir (or booms). Not a lot of water running at the time. I had the impression that Bidford Boats were used to pulling their boats off from there with a Landrover winch.