Boat licence

Chezzonmark

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My guess it is this way to make you get an insurance policy. When the licence was transferred with the boat in years past, the new owner only needed to get an insurance policy when renewal time arrived.

I think it probably has more to do with each new owner making a declaration about a home mooring, or lack of it.

CRT did not want people who were CC-ers selling on and automatically transferring a "CC" licence to someone they felt did not meet the criteria.

(And yes, I know there is no such thing as a "CC-er" licence, but I'm sure you know what I mean!).

Also it is an "earner" for CRT, as they are now charging two different people for the month in which the transfer takes place....

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My guess it is this way to make you get an insurance policy. When the licence was transferred with the boat in years past, the new owner only needed to get an insurance policy when renewal time arrived.

I thought it was to make sure the new owner agreed to the license t's and c's.

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Also it is an "earner" for CRT, as they are now charging two different people for the month in which the transfer takes place....

The sums involved are trivial so I very much doubt this was a factor influencing the new rule. But  agree you're probably right about it being to force the new owner to make a positive declaration about their mooring status.

7 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I disagree. I reckon Alan is right about it being to smoke out piss-taking CMers.

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

A gold licence is transferred I think to a new owner. 

That was our experience on selling. The seller advises CART of their departure but cannot receive a credit for any of the remaining licence period. The licence details and credit though are amended to those of the new owner. Come the new year the owner then has the choice as to which licence to purchase. If your cruising pattern include forays into EA waters on some years then it  is an advantage to have your boat on a Jan1 licence start regime.

6 hours ago, DandV said:

That was our experience on selling. The seller advises CART of their departure but cannot receive a credit for any of the remaining licence period. The licence details and credit though are amended to those of the new owner. Come the new year the owner then has the choice as to which licence to purchase. If your cruising pattern include forays into EA waters on some years then it  is an advantage to have your boat on a Jan1 licence start regime.

It doesn't work quite so well the other way.  I am currently based on the Fens, where annual EA licences only start in April. A 3 month temp licence is more than the difference between gold and EA licences,  so I am still on gold despite not having needed it since 2015.... I will need it next year though. 

12 hours ago, Rob-M said:

The licence process seeks to establish a contractual relationship between CaRT and the boater. (I know there are those who contest this but remember that a contract is only valid if both parties agree willingly to it, a forced contract is not valid) This means that CaRT, at least technically as it is not very effective, have a means of addressing those boaters who do things that CaRT would rather they did not.

As such it is clearly unsatisfactory to have the licence transferable although, in the wider world, it is not unknown for contracts to be transferable. It is probably, on balance, better for all of us if CaRT have at least a minimum of data about all of those who are entitled to be on the canal system, if only to contact them in the even of a breach threatening a moored and empty boat.