Car Park Stoke Buene

tommytelford

Featured Posts

We were on our way home from Edgbaston today and as Towcester High Street was closed we did a detour via Blisworth and Stoke Bruene.

Hating to miss the chance of having a little stroll around the locks we went into the Museum car park intending to stop for 20 minutes or so and went to the Pay and Display machine to buy a ticket and could not believe that the minimum charge is now £2.50 for up to 4 hours. I decided to give it a miss and left.

No wonder about 2/3 of the vehicles were not displaying a ticket, what a way to encourage people to visit our waterways

A little known fact, but which I am assured is true, is that the car park at the Navigation pub is actually also a public car park, and you don't need to visit the Navigation to qualify to use it.

By the way, although they would have you believe that there is no through route through Towcester at the moment, you can actually get around the closed bit of the A5 high street, albeit with a bit of a wait at busy times.

It is our route between home and the moorings, so I have made a point of finding out what is possible!

1 hour ago, tommytelford said:

No wonder about 2/3 of the vehicles were not displaying a ticket, what a way to encourage people to visit our waterways

Is it a CRT car park then?

If you can't or won't afford £2.50 to park your car don't even visit London then. I paid £37 to park for 5 hours the other day!

On 16/09/2018 at 20:37, tommytelford said:

We were on our way home from Edgbaston today and as Towcester High Street was closed we did a detour via Blisworth and Stoke Bruene.

Hating to miss the chance of having a little stroll around the locks we went into the Museum car park intending to stop for 20 minutes or so and went to the Pay and Display machine to buy a ticket and could not believe that the minimum charge is now £2.50 for up to 4 hours. I decided to give it a miss and left.

Well you could have parked in the Church Car park (you would have passed it on your way down the hill from the Blisworth turn (Stoke Road onto Shutlanger Road/Bridge Road)) - it would be on your right just after entering the 30mph zone and passing Wentworth Way), £2 donation all day but it is locked at night by the PCC.  If the CRT car park was  free it would open it up to all day parking from residents and you would get no 'churn' to make spaces available - every road in Stoke Bruerne is double yellow (Conservation yellow - lighter than normal) lined and yes parking is a challenge but the double yellows are from before my time and instigated, I believe, by the District Council - and monitored; a lot of Stoke Bruerne is in a 'double' conservation area being in the Grand Union Conservation Area and the Stoke Bruerne Conservation Area.  I don't think £2:50 for four hours is too bad when the parking in Milton Keynes for four hours is £8 - £4 if you can find the right place.  Yes some of the parking in the Navigation is available without being a customer - part of the planning application 21 years ago I understand - very difficult (well I can't find it) to find proof of that these days.  There's also parking down by the bottom lock and you could enjoy a walk up the old plateway railway line (the first railway in Northamptonshire) alongside the locks - the eastern (and wider) side is the line of the old railway down there and the western side is the designated towpath - the towpath changes sides at Lock 14 (Top Lock). There's also parking at Rookery Open Farm but I would imagine, understandably, they would rather you parked there when visiting their farm. I understand that CRT were looking for somewhere for additional parking in the area and drew a blank.

Edited by Leo No2

A few moons ago, our local town car park was free. Had been since the first slither of tarmac. Then, it was 10p minimum. Then 20p and up it went. Same car park. Same tarmac. Why? Well, I know, money making exercise because they can. Same at hospital car parks. If you have to visit very ill long term patients it costs a fortune.

8 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

A few moons ago, our local town car park was free. Had been since the first slither of tarmac. Then, it was 10p minimum. Then 20p and up it went. Same car park. Same tarmac. Why? Well, I know, money making exercise because they can. Same at hospital car parks. If you have to visit very ill long term patients it costs a fortune.

The underlying reason is that successive governments have developed in the Great British Electorate the view that spending of public money by local authorities is a BAD THING. As as result they have been allowed to rob the LAs year on year. In order to try and make marginal improvements overall the LAs look for other ways to generate income (because they still get demands made on them such as 'you must look after granny and not expect me to use up my inheritance helping her')  and car parking has long been seen as a cash cow. One day some people might wake up and make the link, realising that it would be better overall if we accepted that some things are better done as a community rather than the weakest go to the wall of the present acce0ped political philosophy.

• Greenie 1

I quite welcome car parks that charge. A by-product of charging is that there is usually a space to park in. People no longer feel free to abuse the facility and park there all day (or all year). 

Same with town centre on-street parking. When there used to be just a time limit (say 2 hours) there was never any space to park as people took a chance and parked all day. When charging came along and people now have to 'pay and display', the abuse has broadly stopped and the cars drive off when the ticket runs out as overstaying becomes FAR simpler to enforce.