Solve my petter ph2w exhaust manifold riddle

efish__

Featured Posts

So we've been having issues with our raw water system - turned out the impeller shaft on the Jabsco 7860 was really scored and having a new one machined - this was letting water into the sump so have been giving her a deep clean - thought I would descale the exhaust manifold as it's full of limescale - on removal I noticed one cylinder has water in the exhaust part and little limescale while the other side has a dry exhaust but loads of limescale?

Why could this be??

Also any descaling solutions that won't harm engine or environment?

Thanks,

Ed

20180916_183746.jpg

20180916_183741.jpg

3 minutes ago, efish__ said:

what's the cause? cylinder head gasket? worn piston rings? 

Soot? Poor combustion/ long time since injector or pump overhaul/ leaking valves

Oil? Piston rings/ worn valve guides

Richard

15 hours ago, RLWP said:

Soot? Poor combustion/ long time since injector or pump overhaul/ leaking valves

Oil? Piston rings/ worn valve guides

Richard

I think Valve guides is possible on that cylinder as I get a ticking sound from that side - anything I need to consider when replacing / should I do a full decarb while I'm at it? Or is it not worth it - she's an old engine so a bit of smoke and noise aint bad.

Cheers

Last time I was on Albion, the engine seemed OK.

Chances are she's getting a bit tired and in need of a decoke. If you check your manual you'll find the recommended frequency which is in the hundreds of hours - not the same as a modern car

Richard