Transferring ownership

Tom Morgan

Featured Posts

Well, we bought a boat!  Now for a newbie question about transferring ownership via the CRT website.  I've registered and am having a good read of the site, but there's something I'm not sure about.  I can see how a seller can "transfer out" a boat following a sale, and the new owner can "transfer in" the boat and then (with evidence of insurance and BSC) buy a licence.  Does the new owner have to wait for the seller to "transfer out" first, before he can "transfer in" or is it possible for the new owner to just get on with it?

38 minutes ago, Tom Morgan said:

Thanks you TheBiscuits.  That's the answer I was hoping for!

Your licence will be backdated to 1st Sept and the seller will lose 1 months licence fee on surrender of the licence - C&RT do pretty well on the deal getting almost 2 months licence fee for the same boat.

When you fill out the new 'ownership form' make sure that you date the change of ownership from 1st October otherwise you will only be getting an 11 month licence.

While I think about it - I'm forgetting my manners.  I bought a lovely boat and am really happy about it, but I should have mentioned how grateful I am to the forum members who gave me such good and helpful advice when I was asking questions to get a bit of knowledge before going to look at it.  Thanks, all.  

• Greenie 2

23 hours ago, Tom Morgan said:

Well, we bought a boat!  Now for a newbie question about transferring ownership via the CRT website.  I've registered and am having a good read of the site, but there's something I'm not sure about.  I can see how a seller can "transfer out" a boat following a sale, and the new owner can "transfer in" the boat and then (with evidence of insurance and BSC) buy a licence.  Does the new owner have to wait for the seller to "transfer out" first, before he can "transfer in" or is it possible for the new owner to just get on with it?

Welcome to the wonderful world of boating Tom.

Once you have completed the sale let us know the name of the boat (by updating your profile) so we fellow forum members can wave and say hello to you as our paths cross. ?

13 hours ago, Tom Morgan said:

While I think about it - I'm forgetting my manners.  I bought a lovely boat and am really happy about it, but I should have mentioned how grateful I am to the forum members who gave me such good and helpful advice when I was asking questions to get a bit of knowledge before going to look at it.  Thanks, all.  

What did you get?

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:38, Alan de Enfield said:

Your licence will be backdated to 1st Sept and the seller will lose 1 months licence fee on surrender of the licence - C&RT do pretty well on the deal getting almost 2 months licence fee for the same boat.

When you fill out the new 'ownership form' make sure that you date the change of ownership from 1st October otherwise you will only be getting an 11 month licence.

Alan I thought I had replied to your post before now, but apparently not.  Thanks for your advice which is very helpful and something I hadn't thought of.

Yesterday, I contacted CRT via the drop down chat box on their website.  At the moment, the facility to "transfer in" a newly-acquired boat has been suspended while they iron out a few hiccups.  I was told that the way to do it is for the previous owner to "transfer out" giving my name and address as the new owner, whereupon the system will recognise me as a CRT account holder and transfer the registration automatically.  I'll then be able to order a licence and will follow Alan's advice as start it from 1st October.

Just now, Tom Morgan said:

Yesterday, I contacted CRT via the drop down chat box on their website.  At the moment, the facility to "transfer in" a newly-acquired boat has been suspended while they iron out a few hiccups.  I was told that the way to do it is for the previous owner to "transfer out" giving my name and address as the new owner, whereupon the system will recognise me as a CRT account holder and transfer the registration automatically.  I'll then be able to order a licence and will follow Alan's advice as start it from 1st October.

Oh well, it was working when I did it :D

By the way Tom - you were asking about slipways just before you bought the boat - was that for a one off delivery or are you going to be keeping the boat out of the water?

You only need a full licence if the boat is kept on the water.  If you are trailing it and storing it off the water a 30 x 1-day explorer licence might be what you want.

8 minutes ago, Tom Morgan said:

At the moment, the facility to "transfer in" a newly-acquired boat has been suspended while they iron out a few hiccups. 

Implying that CRT is currently unable to process your licence application, should you make one. I woudn't stress out about it yet, as you don't need a licence to get insurance (although you do arsy-versy). 

26 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Oh well, it was working when I did it :D

By the way Tom - you were asking about slipways just before you bought the boat - was that for a one off delivery or are you going to be keeping the boat out of the water?

You only need a full licence if the boat is kept on the water.  If you are trailing it and storing it off the water a 30 x 1-day explorer licence might be what you want.

Thanks for that - I'll remember that for the future.  But for now, I need to get the boat out of the water to move it to the marina I want to moor it in. 

20 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Implying that CRT is currently unable to process your licence application, should you make one. I woudn't stress out about it yet, as you don't need a licence to get insurance (although you do arsy-versy). 

The very helpful Natalie said that it's only the "transfer in" facility that's been suspended.  Once the previous owner "transfers out" and the system picks me up as the new owner, I'll be able to licence the boat as the CRT will have  the boat in my name. .  That's the plan, anyway!  I insured the boat today, so that's sorted.

Edited by Tom Morgan
typo

7 minutes ago, Tom Morgan said:

The very helpful Natalie said that it's only the "transfer in" facility that's been suspended.  Once the previous owner "transfers out" and the system picks me up as the new owner, I'll be able to licence the boat as the CRT will have  the boat in my name. .  That's the plan, anyway!  I insured the boat today, so that's sorted.

Just make sure that C&RT have noted your call and their response - if they don't notify to licence it (say) until middle of October, and then back-date it to 1st October, you will lose your early payment 'bonus'.

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just make sure that C&RT have noted your call and their response - if they don't notify to licence it (say) until middle of October, and then back-date it to 1st October, you will lose your early payment 'bonus'.

Thank you again, Alan.  I'll keep an eye on this.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Likewise ensure that when the seller transfers out and they automatically transfer you in that they don’t then license it from then, which would be 1st Sep. 

Just to round off this topic from my point of view - the system has worked!  The previous owner went online last night and transferred my boat out of his ownership.  This morning, the boat appears in the "My Boats" section of my CRT account without me having to do anything.  As a new customer, my payment details aren't known to the CRT so they can't issue a licence until I buy one, so I can choose the starting date I want.

17 hours ago, Tom Morgan said:

probably suspended due to someone fraudulently transferring a few boats into made-up names a few weeks back shortly after that data breach they had. coincidence?