Gas locker paint.

tosher

Featured Posts

Advice please.-------- I want to paint the inside of my combined Gas/bow locker. The floor is very rusty due to the constant inflow of water through the gas vent holes at each side of the locker at it's lowest point. These holes are quite close to the water line and whenever the boat is moving a small amount of water is always present on the locker floor. The gas bottles stand on rubber mats clear of the floor.    What is the best paint to use for this job please?   I wondered about using blacking?       

34 minutes ago, luggsy said:

Just use standard blacking 

I have an invoice from my boatyard for painting the gas locker with "gas locker paint" but, looking at it, I think it's just ordinary bitumen blacking.

Either way, it seems to be working.

4 hours ago, tosher said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have gone down the route of wire brushing/scraping the rust off, then Vactan on the area and finally blacking. Looks a nice waterproof job. Thanks again.

Well done for doing it, and finishing it to a standard you are happy with. For me, it was always a job I found worse than painting inside a water tank, and that was ‘orrible!

6 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Cool ive ordered some at will get at this job if i can at the weekend

In your opiniins would hamerite be preferable to blacking in terms of longevity?

Nope, because it's brittle and therefore chips easily and you don't need it's rust preventative properties as the Vactan has done that already.  Blacking will protect it like it's underwater.  If you want it to look smart, try Rylards Premium as it dries very smooth and has a slightly glossy sheen. My gas locker bottom is not subject to flooding and I have "Dri-Dek" tiles in the floor to rest my bottles on, but the Premium looks like new over a year since I did it.