Should Magnet Fishermen be licensed

Heartland

Featured Posts

Magnet fishing has become more popular late and magnets more powerful. The dedicated can haul bikes out of the canal and recent finds have included safes and loaded guns. CRT appear to discourage the practice, yet it is a benefit to the navigation if rubbish can be removed from the waterway. The CRT objection may be the result of the finds being abandoned on the bank. Some who use the magnets do arrange for the metal to be taken away and may even have some financial benefits from doing so. If a licence was introduced then the CRT might also benefit as well as having their waterways cleansed. There is nothing worse than having mattress springs around the propeller shaft as some previous contestants in the BCN challenge have found out!

• Greenie 2

AIUI, the concern is the risk of dredging up unexploded ordnance. If CRT say don’t do it and you go ahead anyway and haul a present from the Luftwaffe out onto the towpath, they can’t be blamed for sanctioning your behaviour or your subsequent distribution around the scenery, unlikely as that may be.

• Greenie 2

I don't know about magnet fishers but cyclists hould be licensed and taxed. But back to the topic. It's not just ordnance which could happen but is unlikely. Anything that is dragged up from the depths could cause injury or worse. CRT are just protecting their back because in this day and age they could get sued for almost anything. To be honest I don't blame them trying to discourage magnet fishing.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Ace 01 said:

Heading up the GU today through Milton Keynes and almost every bridge hole had a pile of metal bits dredged from the canal next to it.

I wish someone had been magnet fishing near the Grafton Road aqueduct (New Bardwell, MK).  They might have fished out this trike and prevented it from becoming entangled round our rudder last week. :(

20180913_143102.jpg

39 minutes ago, Ace 01 said:

Heading up the GU today through Milton Keynes and almost every bridge hole had a pile of metal bits dredged from the canal next to it.

A good thing, as long as it gets taken away before it gets reintroduced. Hopefully the catch rate will continue to outstrip the restocking, but then it's going to be a short lived hobby and we'll eventually be back to normal, I suspect. 

I used to indulge in the odd bit of magnet fishing with my sea-searcher after stopping for the day. But in concentrated on locks and their surrounding looking for windlasses. I don’t see any strong reasons for licensing and in any case it would be unenforceable. How many towpath gnomes do you think have licenses?

16 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The tribal practices of the troglodytes appear to include throwing metal objects into the cut. May be C & RT should reclaim the material placed on the bank. There must be a scrap value 

Unfortunately the cost of collection and transport would likely be higher than the scrap value. 

Now if the scrotes were throwing in Aluminium or Titanium that would be a different matter. However neither would be easily retrievable by a magnet. 

23 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The tribal practices of the troglodytes appear to include throwing metal objects into the cut. May be C & RT should reclaim the material placed on the bank. There must be a scrap value 

35 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

It is a pity that CaRT do not take the opportunity to remove the scrap from the towpath before someone throws it back in again to foul a boaters propeller.

A missed opportunity I think.

who exactly are the representatives of CRT who have nothing better to do than clear away scrap from the towpath?  In our local dog walking park we often refer to the dog poo fairy and the litter fairy (both entirely imaginary, I should add).  Does CRT have equivalent employees?

Not quite on message but the thing I foind interesting is the state of the stuff they fish out.

There is a debate on here from time to time about the need to black the baseplate. It has been argued that at baseplate depth the water contains little oxygen but judging by the state of the stuff that comes out of the canal I would say that steel still rusts, even at depth.

41 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Not quite on message but the thing I foind interesting is the state of the stuff they fish out.

There is a debate on here from time to time about the need to black the baseplate. It has been argued that at baseplate depth the water contains little oxygen but judging by the state of the stuff that comes out of the canal I would say that steel still rusts, even at depth.

Alternatively, all the scrap iron in the cut will scrape the blacking off the baseplate anyway.

I don't know whether this topic was inspired by a recent item on the BBC website:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-45527455/magnet-fishing-for-guns-in-midlands-canals

In the video a CRT man is quoted as saying "Technically it's against the law". He seemed to me to be emphasising the word "technically", as if to say "Officially I'm telling you not to do it, but if you're going to remove some junk from the bottom of the canal, CRT probably don't mind". Sensible attitude as far as I'm concerned; turn a blind eye to it but anyone who gets hurt can't blame CRT.

My local magnet fishers dragged this little lot out of the Coventry Canal and arranged for the local "totters" to collect them the next day.

However others leave piles of scrap by each bridgeholes, presumably for the "scrap metal fairy" to collect.

20180829_102427.jpg

20180829_102409.jpg

19 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

I wish someone had been magnet fishing near the Grafton Road aqueduct (New Bardwell, MK).  They might have fished out this trike and prevented it from becoming entangled round our rudder last week. :(

20180913_143102.jpg

Bluddy towpath cyclists - they start 'em young these days ?

On 16/09/2018 at 13:19, BruceinSanity said:

AIUI, the concern is the risk of dredging up unexploded ordnance. If CRT say don’t do it and you go ahead anyway and haul a present from the Luftwaffe out onto the towpath, they can’t be blamed for sanctioning your behaviour or your subsequent distribution around the scenery, unlikely as that may be.

Fifty or so years ago , working in and on the Ashton and Rochdale Canals, all the live ordnance we discovered was of British origin. Anti-aircraft shells, .303 bullets,  hand grenades  and  a couple of  clip-on tail fins  for 250 pound bombs.  Two hand grenades, found in central Manchester required, according to Bomb Disposal, a controlled explosion. This in the run up to Christmas  needed  temporary closure of Princess St and Whitworth St on a Saturday afternoon. I had noticed the safety  pins on these grenades had rusted away and the levers(?) were held in place by muck and rust.

A few years later we fished a German Luger pistol  from the canal, we were dragging rubbish into a boat and it landed  on the floor. There was  great consternation at the local cop shop as we handed it to the PC on the front  desk:  "We just found this".....

OK, supposing magnet fishers need licences. You drop your windlass in the cut are you going to leave the seasearcher in the locker? Beware unintended consequences.

I would lump magnet fishers alongside metal detectorists, you never know what you might find and sometimes it's a bloody good find, like archeology. If someone does drag out some explosive, is that worse than you boating a few inches over it? 

What does the presence of WW2 hardware within range of a magnet say about dredging over the years?

• Greenie 1

If they fish the stuff out, it doesn't get collected from the towpath and gets thrown back into the canal, it could be worse for we boaters than if it had been left alone.

Most of the stuff would have been in the canal for years and would have settled on the canal bed probably in the deepest part towards the middle but out of the way of our propellers. But there's a distinct chance that the newly thrown in stuff would be sticking up more and possibly in shallower waters nearer the edge. 

• Greenie 1

Don't forget the rivers some might find muskets, swords, coins and arrowheads there- and perhaps others have. There were fording places where road traffic passed and was a location noted for loss.

Edited by Heartland