Strange warning light in kitchen. Something to do with 12V.

jickstumps

Featured Posts

So, as the title suggests. I have a really weird problem. There are these two LED lights in my kitchen, foot level, that I have tried (Numerous times) to turn on and they never have! I thought they were for decoration, but now I'm worried they are a warning light.
They are somehow to do with the 12v system as there's a switch (That turns our water pump on) under the drainage area which also turns this light off. The light suddenly turned on the other day and keeps occasionally turning on. It's now on permanently... The other one, to the left of it, is not on still. So I have no idea what that is for either!

I have attached pics for reference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jamie (On WALT)

image3 (1) copy.jpg

image2.JPG

image1 (2).JPG

I doubt if they're warning lights being that colour. Many boat fitterouterers are obcessed with these LED lights and tend to dot them about at foot level all over the shop, usually worked by switches though.  Yours look like are placed there to illuminate the cats food bowl so pussey can locate it in the middle of the night. Can you trace their wires to their sauce.  Going on and off might mean that they are not voltage controlled ones for 12vdc, but low voltage mains domestic ones that work off a controlled transformer. Or there may be wiring connection faults causing intermittancy.

Edited by bizzard

11 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I doubt if they're warning lights being that colour. Many boat fitterouterers are obcessed with them and tend to dot them about at foot level all over the shop, usually worked by switches though.  Yours look like are placed there to illuminate the cats food bowl so pussey can locate it in the middle of the night. Can you trace their wires to their sauce.  Going on and off might mean that they are not voltage controlled ones for 12vdc, but low voltage mains domestic ones that work off a controlled transformer. Or there may be wiring connection faults causing intermittancy.

I'm hoping this is correct. It's just odd that it's only just been coming on recently.

7 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Remote fridge alarm warning voltage warning light. The one in our fridge is inside so only the beer knows the batteries are low

We have a light on the outside of the fridge already. This seems okay. And our batteries are almost 100%. So if you are right then it could be that a connection have caused a problem? I really have no clue. But if our batteries are tip top and our 12V system is working fine (With no sound of lag when we use the shower pump) then could this be something else?

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Pumpout tank going critical ? ☺️

Gladly we don't have one! haha! That would be a major PITA!

3 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Either your soup is ready or it's connected to a float switch in your bilge and you'll sink at 2.30am.

You're going to give me nightmares. This isn't based on anything you know about is it? I don't want to rip up all of my wooden floorboards for nothing.

So turning the water pump off turns this light on, but now its on and the pumps still working?  Do you have a remote water tank  level sender? Could the light be telling you your tank is low?

either that or your floor is the landing strip for an alien conquest. The fbi are currently evacuating the solar monitoring station near Rothwell. Are you  near northamptonshire aliens may have the wrong postcode.

13 minutes ago, jickstumps said:
14 minutes ago, jickstumps said:
  17 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Either your soup is ready or it's connected to a float switch in your bilge and you'll sink at 2.30am. 

You're going to give me nightmares. This isn't based on anything you know about is it? I don't want to rip up all of my wooden floorboards for nothing.

Of course not!!!! …. what would I know about soup? ?

11 hours ago, jickstumps said:

In any half decent fit-out there should be a trap in the floor just in front of the rear bulkhead to allow cabin bilge inspection. This should not have been boarded over. It is often under steps or in a  cupboard. If the boat has an all in one bilge then it is unlikely to have one.

I agree that it does not look like a warning lamp but who knows. I think tracing the wires is probably the only way to know. Has anyone mentions a gas alarm warning yet? (very unlikely - usually beeps).

On 15 September 2018 at 20:10, jickstumps said:

So, as the title suggests. I have a really weird problem. There are these two LED lights in my kitchen, foot level, that I have tried (Numerous times) to turn on and they never have! I thought they were for decoration, but now I'm worried they are a warning light.
They are somehow to do with the 12v system as there's a switch (That turns our water pump on) under the drainage area which also turns this light off. The light suddenly turned on the other day and keeps occasionally turning on. It's now on permanently... The other one, to the left of it, is not on still. So I have no idea what that is for either!

I have attached pics for reference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jamie (On WALT)

image3 (1) copy.jpg

image2.JPG

image1 (2).JPG

Warning lights for your water pump being on. With dodgy connections. There are dafter gimmicks on some boats?

You need to trace the cables to see where they go and what they are connected to.

Logically though, if it is part of the water pump circuit, where 'on' means it is pumping and then goes 'off' at normal pressure - then staying 'on' would suggest the pump is continuously running (a leak somewhere?) or a 'tired' pump - but then surely you would hear it running.

However, if the light is part of the water pump circuit, then it should be possible to switch it off with the pump switch, but if not then operate various local other switches until it goes out, if none local do it then progressively back to the main switch panel.

If the light is normally off, then turns on/off a bit (with the boat rocking) and then stays on it says to me it is a level warning light.

If so, level of what?

Ideas are -

1)  Sink waste tank if you have one - When you say water pump do you mean the pump that supplies water to the tap or a pump to drain the waste water from the sink?  If the latter it may be a warning light to tell you the sink tank pump is a bit blocked and it is about to overflow.

2)  Fresh water is low and about to run out

3)  Toilet tank is full and needs a pump out

9 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

If the light is normally off, then turns on/off a bit (with the boat rocking) and then stays on it says to me it is a level warning light.

If so, level of what?

Ideas are -

1)  Sink waste tank if you have one - When you say water pump do you mean the pump that supplies water to the tap or a pump to drain the waste water from the sink?  If the latter it may be a warning light to tell you the sink tank pump is a bit blocked and it is about to overflow.

2)  Fresh water is low and about to run out

3)  Toilet tank is full and needs a pump out

beer levels in fridge low...

The light might be footfall sensitive. Try hiding around the corner and suddenly dash out tremendously fast, 186,000 mps should do it and be enough to catch it red handed in the act of beginning to come on.

Edited by bizzard

The human eye can actually see the speed of light; When its dark and with your finger on the light switch and looking up at the light, get ready!! switch the light on and at the same time, nod and you will just see the light reach the floor. A similar test could be conducted with old analogue tv's with tubes in em. Whilst its on and watching the screen, shake the head from side to side everso vigorousely and swivelling the eyes about from side to side at the same time. By performing this act you should be able to chase and almost catch up with the electrons whizzing horizontally across the screen. Folk with extra fit necks and eye balls might even generate enough eye and neck motion to actually freeze the electrons and make the picture stand still. Take caution though as this experiment can cause odd after effects, like cricked or stiff necks, the popping out of eye balls, extreme dizzyness and even St Cathodes Ray  Dance,    But its worth it, if only to boast that you did it,