Why???????

Movin' on

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Rickent said:

Eighteen minutes past eleven when he turned it off. He will be getting a piece of my mind today.

Start off by checking if he is aware of The Rule.... it may be news to him and he was unaware there are any restrictions on running time. 

22 hours ago, Halsey said:

yes in my case and with an added promise of violence - but only once - and........................... it was from an RN owner

And there lies the problem. The anti social lot get away with it as most people are quite rightly worried about confrontational  pee locks. I am getting too old now realy but my background in armed forces/ police and then as a public house licensee means I have met every kind of scum bag known to the human race and had to deal with countless situations often on my own. I do not suffer fools lightly therefore but am very very helpful in most instances except with pee takers.

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, Rickent said:

11 o'clock and the tw@t moored next to me still has his engine running !!!!!!! 

Have you tried the old "potato up the exhaust" trick?

Provided you do it quietly, it gives you time to return to your own boat before his engine stalls ?

No-one likes confrontation but on a couple of occasions, one just recently, I have steeled myself to challenge owners of boats running engines late on, simply because it's the only way these folk will appreciate how annoying it is for others.  On both occasions the owners were apologetic, though I was prepared for an argument.  Also on both occasions I felt bad about it afterwards even though I knew I was in the right.  I'm sure this is why most will simply put up with it or move on.  

Diesel engines and boating kind of go together.

In all our years of boating I can recall only one occasion where I was truly 'disturbed' by engine noise, and that was a boat at All Oaks Wood, Brinklow, running a frame genny until 11pm.

I assumed the boater needed to run it, and wasn't merely trying to annoy me.

I moved on next morning.

I chose to moor in a popular spot with other boaters, I have to accept the community.

I like to moor away from others, but my natural animal magnetism seems to attract people ;)

It always seems a shame when people refer to other boaters as 'idiots' as the op did, just because they choose to heat water/charge batteries via the engine.

Rog

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Start off by checking if he is aware of The Rule.... it may be news to him and he was unaware there are any restrictions on running time. 

I'm afraid ignorance of the "Rule" wouldn't stop me nagging at them, rule or no rule, you have to be very selfish, or thick, to not realise that running your engine at night is really annoying to everyone around you, especially if you have a horrible sounding Mitsubishi lump ?

Casp'

7 minutes ago, casper ghost said:

I'm afraid ignorance of the "Rule" wouldn't stop me nagging at them, rule or no rule, you have to be very selfish, or thick, to not realise that running your engine at night is really annoying to everyone around you, especially if you have a horrible sounding Mitsubishi lump ?

Casp'

True, but pointing it out to someone as a starting point sometimes results in them being mortified to have been such a bloody nuisance especially if a bit thick, and profuse apologies flow instead of trading abuse and insults, which is the other way it can go..   

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

True, but pointing it out to someone as a starting point sometimes results in them being mortified to have been such a bloody nuisance especially if a bit thick, and profuse apologies flow instead of trading abuse and insults, which is the other way it can go..   

Yep, I am a polite person so I wouldn't be too bad. I do find that most people are apologetic and a bit shocked, some are just arrogant. And, why is it never a nice single cylinder that starts up at night, something nice to listen to, it's always some multi cylinder tractor engine. The other thing I sometimes find is that, as they are these horrid engines, the exhaust exits out the back to one side, which, half the time is against the bank and makes the fumes come in my doors..

Casp'

6 minutes ago, casper ghost said:

Yep, I am a polite person so I wouldn't be too bad. I do find that most people are apologetic and a bit shocked, some are just arrogant. And, why is it never a nice single cylinder that starts up at night, something nice to listen to, it's always some multi cylinder tractor engine. The other thing I sometimes find is that, as they are these horrid engines, the exhaust exits out the back to one side, which, half the time is against the bank and makes the fumes come in my doors..

Casp'

Yes to all of that!

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

CRT are hot enough on jumping up and down on people moored there in midwinter when the river is in flood  so give them a call.:P

Be has been reported twice but he has apparently broken down. His engine runs fine and I can vouch for that, but he has no drive to his prop. Be has been here for over a week now and not once have I seen anyone down the engine hole. Looking forward to winter when occasionally I get decent neighbours.

What does the team think about running a diesel heater such as an Eberspacher outside those hours? We have sometimes run ours both early in the morning and late in the evening, as those tend to be the times that the temperature is at its lowest. We notice only a hum inside the boat, but apparently the exhaust can sound like a jet engine from the outside. Is such use considered infra dig?

16 minutes ago, Athy said:

What does the team think about running a diesel heater such as an Eberspacher outside those hours? We have sometimes run ours both early in the morning and late in the evening, as those tend to be the times that the temperature is at its lowest. We notice only a hum inside the boat, but apparently the exhaust can sound like a jet engine from the outside. Is such use considered infra dig?

When an Evilsparker has the correct Silencer fitted it is virtually inaudible from a couple of Metres away,

22 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is it an engine, or an electricity generator ?

Whilst the Boat is on the Waterway, you must behave considerately towards others (boaters and non-boaters alike) and in particular you must not:
(a) do anything which will cause damage or nuisance to any other person or their property;
(b) use any electricity generator, including the Boat's engine, at any mooring along the Waterway between 8pm and 8am, unless you are moored in isolation, out of earshot of other people. We do not intend this Rule to stop you moving the Boat from the mooring;

4 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

When an Evilsparker has the correct Silencer fitted it is virtually inaudible from a couple of Metres away,

They seem to be becoming standard on hire boats. And without the silencer mentioned above.  It is getting to be virtually impossible to be moored among other boats without some kind of engine noise.

Sometimes I can hardly hear my damn trombone.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Presumably then most of what one encounters do not have such a silencer?

The common Silencer is for Vee Hickles and is not Gas tight due to Condensation Drain Holes in it'

The Marine Version is Stainless Steel and will add a Hundred Pounds or so to the Price.

It probably gets omitted from Budget Installations..

Edited by cereal tiller

Showering and using a washing machine every five minutes don't help either. Folk could save a fortune on battery charging costs and not upset each other or disturb the peace of the countryside by doing away both. After all, my mum said that bathing and washing oneself frequently, washes away all the body's natural and unatural oils and leaves it unprotected and vulnerable to chills, certain deseases, queer maladies and things, the main and sensible reason why bath night took place only once a week, usually on Fridays. But its best never to wash, bath or shower oneself at all, ever again. After about two weeks of stinking and finding that folk tend to try anything to avoid you. There are great benefits to be had though, like having train carriage compartments, aeroplane seats and bus seats all to oneself, in severe stinking cases the whole carriage, aeroplane or bus to oneself or even the whole cinema, theatre or even the whole Albet Hall to onself on the last night of the Proms.  Being able to queue up for something all by yourself is quite wonderful too.   However the stink will eventually ease and gradually die away as the natural oils thicken up and lock it all in. Once that happens you can continue abstaining from the silly habit of washing and also cease washing clothes and things for ever too. The only item of clothing that I think does need discarding entirely and burning is socks, the foul stench which they can omit is absolutely impossible to combat, just don't wear any. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

You Can destroy the Foot Odour Bacteria ! get a Job Behind the Counter in a Chippy.you will be Sprinkling Salt and Vinegar onto the Chips lots of and some of it will spill directly on to your Feet!

The Two Condiments mixed together form a mild Acid Solution which will Sterilise  your Feet and keep a lot of Customers away and only the Desperately Hungry Ones will stick it out!

If Salt and Vinegar will clean Brass it must be good for Tootsies?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

You Can destroy the Foot Odour Bacteria ! get a Job Behind the Counter in a Chippy.you will be Sprinkling Salt and Vinegar onto the Chips lots of and some of it will spill directly on to your Feet!

The Two Condiments mixed together form a mild Acid Solution which will Sterilise  your Feet and keep a lot of Customers away and only the Desperately Hungry Ones will stick it out!

If Salt and Vinegar will clean Brass it must be good for Tootsies?

Wellies could be worn by the operative, full of the salt'n'vinegar mixture.   A doorman could be stationed at the Chippys door issuing clothes pegs for customers noses.  Bless his little cotton socks, yuk!!!

• Haha 1

In days of yore folk used to go about wearing boots of some kind, blokes wore elastic sided Chelsea boots and women, sort of bootie things, all designed to imprison the stinks.  My mum always made my dad wash his own socks.

Edited by bizzard