Why???????

Movin' on

Featured Posts

Sorry no I don't get out of the way of wannabee racing cyclists either, they need to be impeded otherwise these idiots will continue this anti social practice.  Last year we were caught up in a full blown club run of maybe 30 - 40 of them, all trying to ride at road speed.  We took great delight in slowing every single one of them down to walking pace, a few of them actually had to get off and push.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

We have a boat moored next to us on the 48hour moorings who has been there for seven days, I have knocked on his boat twice now as his engine was running at 10.45pm.

Doesn't normally bother me but when it's time for bed it takes the p!!!!ss.

1 minute ago, Rickent said:

Yes, he turned it off which is good,but the point being is he should not have had it running so late.

Indeed. But I’ve always wondered with those types if a request would be met with “F off”

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Indeed. But I’ve always wondered with those types if a request would be met with “F off”

I was expecting that to be honest, fortunately I was met with a reasonable response so didn't have to untie him and send him on his way.

• Haha 1

A few more why's

(1) Why do some fishermen set up at a winding hole and moan when a boat turns in front of them ?

(2) Why do some boaters leave gate paddles up where there is no reason to do so ?

(3) Why do not the CRT and other canal owners do more to maintain the navigable depth?

(4) Why such owners do more to trim back overhanging trees?

(5) Why do not such owners provide more mooring spaces?

(6) And why are some "boaters" allowed to occupy prime mooring spots (with limited mooring periods) for weeks on end?

Caught unawares and I leap out of the way. Otherwise I get in the way. Doesn't half annoy them. 

We were moored up somewhere and the next door boater knocked on the boat and said they have issues with their batteries and would we mind if they ran their engine for a while. We didn't mind and they did. Respect is all it takes. 

• Greenie 2

C&RTs instructions to Fishing Clubs :

Winding holes

Often known by anglers as turning bays, winding holes were built to allow boaters to turn their craft around. Boaters clearly have priority here and whilst anglers may choose to fish at winding holes (they are renowned for being preferred habitat for shoals of bream) they must fully expect boaters to use these facilities. It’s the angler’s responsibility to take any necessary steps to allow the boaters to go about their business without obstruction.

Locks and lock approaches

Some places are out of bounds to anglers and fishing in the lock chamber is an absolute no no. Our agreements with clubs are every clear when it comes to fishing near locks, it states 'fishing is prohibited in a lock and within 25 metres of a lock wall approach or moveable bridge used for navigation’.

The 25 metres distance was chosen as the length of one boat mooring. In busy peak navigation periods, it makes absolute sense to leave more room than this. It’s very much a case of using a sensible judgement and understanding the likely volume of traffic on your local waterway.

The call of nature

It’s perhaps not as well advertised as it could be, but the Trust’s sanitary stations are available for all to use. All you require is to purchase a standard key from our online shop.

Unfortunately, the Trust simply doesn’t have the cash to provide these sorts of facilities at all locations. If you really must go, and this advice applies equally to anyone to anyone using the network who finds themselves caught short, then exercise sensible discretion appropriate to the location.

20 hours ago, Halsey said:

Two moans to end a very good day

Why do we all leap out of the way when 20mph+ Lycra clad cyclists approach on the towpath??? Doesn’t this reinforce their feelings that they have the right of way?

Why when you finally find that idyllic rural spot at the end of the day does some generator/engine running idiot decide that’s a nice place and moor right next to you - I know I could move on but what motivates these people - are they frightened of being alone?

Self preservation is the answer to the first question. But what annoys me is when the Missus then apologies to the cyclists!! Why??

The second question is one I have asked for years! Its a side of human nature I don't understand. For some reason, people see a moored boat out in the sticks and seem attracted to moor adjacent, along with the generator and free roaming dogs, despite there being 100's yards of space behind you  You can almost guarantee it.

In a previous life, we used to do a lot of caravanning, more often than not staying on farm sites. Same thing - if you were to "moor" your caravan in a secluded corner of an empty 5 acre field for a bit of piece and quiet, some numpty comes along and parks himself 20ft from you.

But then I am an antisocial old git.

Edited by Big Bob W

43 minutes ago, luggsy said:

Why do fishermen always want to fish on the opposite side to where they are ?

That I can understand, though why people engage in coarse fishing in the first place is a mystery to me. The offside is frequently shaded and has a shallower depth gradient, making it more attractive to the fish than the towpath side.

Edited by BruceinSanity
Typos

4 hours ago, Halsey said:

yes in my case and with an added promise of violence - but only once - and........................... it was from an RN owner

Good heavens - what on earth is the boating world coming to.

Publish the name of the boat and get the Register to downgrade it to a National......

• Haha 1

People seem incapable of being without all the household electrical goodies, I've turned gennys off if they've annoyed me, but a neighbour that runs their boat engine at night, when they've had all day to charge the batteries if needed, is annoying. I'm more considerate, which is a shame, as my old Ruston cranking up at midnight would be a nice noise..

Casp'

7 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

8 to 8 is in your licence terms and conditions,  not byelaws

Page 22 

Here

Not according to your own link. 

AFAICS from reading Page 22 of your link it is in Schedule 5, "The Navigation Rules", not in the terms and conditions.

Section 4(b). 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not according to your own link. 

AFAICS from reading Page 22 of your link it is in Schedule 5, "The Navigation Rules", not in the terms and conditions.

Section 4(b). 

I'm pretty sure 1.3 means the schedules are part of the terms and conditions. 

3 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I'm pretty sure 1.3 means the schedules are part of the terms and conditions. 

I disagree having read 1.3.  Its academic however as CRT issuing a licence is mandatory if insurance and BSS exist, and a mooring declaration is made.  All the T&Cs are optional.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I disagree having read 1.3.  Its academic however as CRT issuing a licence is mandatory if insurance and BSS exist, and a mooring declaration is made.  All the T&Cs are optional.

Its taken some time but you have finally 'come around' to agreeing with my post #21.

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

All the T&Cs are optional.

That is not quite true.

The T&Cs contains both legal requirements as specified in various acts - these are not optional, and are enforceable.

The T&Cs contain stuff C&RT would like you to do, but if the penalty is the revocation of your licence then they cannot be enforced whilst you have met the three legally required criteria.

I think the only circumstances in which the board can revoke a licence (if the three legally required criteria are met) is if they determine that the boat is 'unsafe'. I seem to remember that they tried this approach with one of the forum members (was it Onion bargee ?)