Why???????

Movin' on

Featured Posts

Two moans to end a very good day

Why do we all leap out of the way when 20mph+ Lycra clad cyclists approach on the towpath??? Doesn’t this reinforce their feelings that they have the right of way?

Why when you finally find that idyllic rural spot at the end of the day does some generator/engine running idiot decide that’s a nice place and moor right next to you - I know I could move on but what motivates these people - are they frightened of being alone?

Edited by Halsey

30 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Two moans to end the day

Why do we all leap out of the way when 20mph+ Lycra clad cyclists approach on the towpath??? Doesn’t this reinforce their feelings that they have the right of way?

Because we don't want to be hit by a bicycle?

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

31 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Why when you finally find that idyllic rural spot at the end of the day does some generator/engine running idiot decide that’s a nice place and moor right next to you - I know I could move on but what motivates these people - are they frightened of being alone?

Yes it is frustrating.  What's worse is if the new neighbour then decides he wants to be your best friend.  Decades ago my dad observed that if we went out for a car-ride and  picnic, and found a perfect spot, within 10 minutes, two other vehicles would be squeezing themselves in alongside.  He also thought it was because people are afraid of being on their own.  

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Halsey said:

It's the opposite way for us. Being gas free so cook electric we have a built in diesel generator. Whilst we don't run it out of hours we do understand that not all boaters will like it even though you can't hear it 2 boat lengths away. So we try to moor where we can be alone. And then someone will come and moor behind us, usually with only a few feet gap. 

59 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Some of us don't! Weighing in at over 100kg Ill take my chances with cyclists. I used to be  known as the portable roundabout for a very good reason.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 2

55 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Two moans to end a very good day

I often think that the best use of a boat pole is to stand on the towpath holding the pole with the other end resting on the towpath at an angle just on the water's edge.

"Sorry I didn't see you coming..."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Some of us don't! Weighing in at over 100kg Ill take my chances with cyclists. I used to be  known as the portable roundabout for a very good reason.

Precisely. I have never been hit by one yet I find the eejuts all slow or stop. Their infantile bully style brains simply can't react quickly enough to work out how else to deal with the non moving obstacle. The gennies don't bother me if it's between 8 and 8 I just think why would you to myself but it's no big deal.

• Greenie 2

I  must be different from you, because I tend to find the boats likely to run generators don't tend to turn up after I have.  They are more likely to already be at a popular spot, and I fail to notice that they are likely to do it.

A new one on me recently has been several Hudson boats making full use of a noisy generator.  I must admit I thought most wee a bit better sorted power-wise than that, but I supppose if you have a shiny Gardner or Russell Newbery you don't want to wear it out charging batteries.

1 minute ago, Halsey said:

.......... we moved.

And have reinforced the presumed right of another selfish boater to continue with their actions although of course it ain't 8 pm yet so they are doing nowt wrong engine wise at least innitt ?

• Happy 1

I always try and tie with the stern to the bow of prior moored up boats, but there are usualy hints that the 5pm shagged engine start up will begin. Tv ariels crap on towpath and boats in the same spot  near a road,  as when we came through  months ago are pretty much a clue.

picked tonights 2 starters pretty accuratly and at 530 rrrrrrrr

1 minute ago, roland elsdon said:

I always try and tie with the stern to the bow of prior moored up boats, but there are usualy hints that the 5pm shagged engine start up will begin. Tv ariels crap on towpath and boats in the same spot  near a road,  as when we came through  months ago are pretty much a clue.

picked tonights 2 starters pretty accuratly and at 530 rrrrrrrr

I don't see the problem with charging batteries at 5.30 pm? The bylaws on cart controlled anyway are 8 till 8. I tend to charge my batteries when they need charging not when they are full and I will be running mine later between 7 and 8 this throws a bit of charge in but also ensures I have a tank full of still very hot water for our showers in the morning. Not every body moves every day and will still need lectricerry.

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I don't see the problem with charging batteries at 5.30 pm? The bylaws on cart controlled anyway are 8 till 8. I tend to charge my batteries when they need charging not when they are full and I will be running mine later between 7 and 8 this throws a bit of charge in but also ensures I have a tank full of still very hot water for our showers in the morning. Not every body moves every day and will still need lectricerry.

Just to be clear I have absolutely NO problem with engines/gennies running within the 8 till 8 rules although you can and should be aware of disturbance/ exhaust fumes - my problem was with the close mooring up as we do try to find occasional remote spots to allow our dogs a treat of some freedom without disturbing others - and YES we do clear up

Edited by Halsey
  • Greenie 2

No dont have a problem its only fumes that peeve me. We are in a busy spot. When i think back in 1980/90s we used to run a generator a lot as no solar and on a butty.

for a short while we had a petter av1 and a mooring at cowley. That was seriously antisocial .... gave up in the end and bought a suitcase genny. Course if i charged batts with our engine that would be seriously noisy. Lister hb is pretty out there..

Today while walking along the towpath with another boater, there was much dinging of bells behind. We both ignored it and eventually 5 or 6 cyclists squeezed past using the grassy bits. I'm sure they would have preferred the track we were walking on :)

Regarding mooring - if it's a wild spot, seeing a boat can be a good indication that there is sufficient draft - sometimes I pass very nice looking spots but decide as no one is there it must be shallow. However, if mooring near someone in a wild spot, I always leave a respectable amount of room between boats - for everyone sake. If its a popular spot ie with rings, I don't waste any space and even share a ring - nothing more annoying than not being able to moor because there are all sorts of silly gaps that you can't quite fit into!

Just joined the genny brigade with a little suit case jobby - again, I try to put it away from others - if boats at both ends, I put it in the middle of where I am, other wise away at each end as far as poss. Nothing after 8pm of course.

32 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The bylaws on cart controlled anyway are 8 till 8.

I wonder if you could quote which Bye-Law this is.

I have read thru all of the BW Bye-laws from 1965 to 1976 and cannot find it.

I do note however that it is a 'requirement' in the Licence T&Cs, (but is simply a request ) but it is unenforceable as the penalty is to revoke the licence, which C&RT cannot do if the 3 licensing criteria are met.

It is, however, courtesy and consideration & not unreasonable to abide by the request and I'm sure most would agree.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wonder if you could quote which Bye-Law this is.

I have read thru all of the BW Bye-laws from 1965 to 1976 and cannot find it.

Where did you find them please?

A casual goggle reveals nothing. I've an idea there is a bylaw that you may not make a pain in the arse of yourself, but I'm not sure.