Gas bottle size

MHS

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

13Kg is the weight of the gas.  From memory the empty weight of a cylinder can be more than that, so a full cylinder wighs at least twice what the gas in it weighs, (say 26 Kg).

So more than any sack of pre-packed solid fuel.

There was a time when coal was delivered by the large sack - that is 2cwt or a bit over 100kg.

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

I don't have to lift my 13kg calor bottles

Surely you have to at BSS time - under the 'new' regs the examiner has to see the locker empty, and, he is not allowed to disconnect / lift / re-connect the cylinders.

Advice to owners :

LPG cylinder lockers - boat owners must ensure the BSS Examiner can carry out careful checking of the LPG cylinder locker for condition, including the removal of all loose portable items, base protection mats, removable false floors and the temporary removal of connected LPG cylinders.

Discuss your LPG cylinder locker arrangements with your examiner in advance of the examination as this may require your attendance or you to make prior arrangements involving service agents.

LPG lockers not accessible enough to allow an assessment of condition will involve the BSS Examiner having to return to carry out the check with the obstruction removed.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Surely you have to at BSS time - under the 'new' regs the examiner has to see the locker empty, and, he is not allowed to disconnect / lift / re-connect the cylinders.

Advice to owners :

LPG cylinder lockers - boat owners must ensure the BSS Examiner can carry out careful checking of the LPG cylinder locker for condition, including the removal of all loose portable items, base protection mats, removable false floors and the temporary removal of connected LPG cylinders.

Discuss your LPG cylinder locker arrangements with your examiner in advance of the examination as this may require your attendance or you to make prior arrangements involving service agents.

LPG lockers not accessible enough to allow an assessment of condition will involve the BSS Examiner having to return to carry out the check with the obstruction removed.

Many folk will need a Hi-Ab fitted to the boat to handle that job. Useful for swinging them on and off too.

Edited by bizzard

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Advice to owners :

I'll worry about that in 3 years time. Perhaps he will be happy just to hit the underneath of the locker hard with a sledgehammer...  Alternatively maybe I'll have a very long shower the day before BSC day and get all 4 bottles empty (nearly!).  

While a BSC man cannot lift bottles, the same man without his BSC hat on, for a small charge, can. If he is of that persuasion.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Advice to owners :

I had some discussion with the BSS about the bit I highlighted in Red.

The regs read as if the cylinder must be able to be lifted out of the gas locker and placed elsewhere (on the deck ?) whilst still connected.

Section 7:9:4 states that the maximum length for a hose on the low-pressure side is 1 metre.

The question I asked was, what if the cylinder cannot be lifted out of the locker and  placed in a safe place with a hose under 1 metre.

Answer "we haven't considered that, as its unlikely to happen".

There is the Caravanlite version from Calor. It's empty weight is less than a normal bottle as it is designed to reduce the nose weight on a caravan as the majority of caravan manufacturers make the gas locker ar the front. There was a price premium on it though when we had a van a few years ago, it may have changed now.

David

16 minutes ago, Ace 01 said:

There is the Caravanlite version from Calor. It's empty weight is less than a normal bottle as it is designed to reduce the nose weight on a caravan as the majority of caravan manufacturers make the gas locker ar the front. There was a price premium on it though when we had a van a few years ago, it may have changed now.

David

No it hasn't changed, they cost a couple of quid more for each re fill. They are also being withdrawn by Calor due to a high failure rate so you can freely exchange them with the std. steel ones at the moment.

When Calor bring in their replacement version apparently you will be required to show your original rental agreement in order to be able to rent a 'lite' version again.

We've changed boats this year and the new one uses 6kg bottles.  I was wary at first but it's been a revelation they are so much easier to manhandle I used to dread changing the 13kg type.  You only have half the volume of gas but the container is so much lighter and obviously you save on storage space as well.  The downside is the expense but when I add up the boat expenses every year the cost of gas isn't that significant.  

3 hours ago, Neil2 said:

We've changed boats this year and the new one uses 6kg bottles.  I was wary at first but it's been a revelation they are so much easier to manhandle I used to dread changing the 13kg type.  You only have half the volume of gas but the container is so much lighter and obviously you save on storage space as well.  The downside is the expense but when I add up the boat expenses every year the cost of gas isn't that significant.  

Like us do you use the gas for cooking only?

19 hours ago, MHS said:

Like us do you use the gas for cooking only?

Sort of, we do have gas fired blown air heating but have hardly used it so far.  TBH if that starts to make a big difference I would change to diesel fired. 

Our previous boat had a gas water heater and that did use a lot of gas, I'm amazed at the difference, it seems as though we have to change bottles less frequently now even though the cylinders are half the capacity.  I would certainly recommend 6kg cylinders if it's just for cooking.  

On 15/09/2018 at 07:18, MHS said:

We are thinking of swapping our 13kg gas bottles to the smaller 7kg ones. It’s very tight getting them into our gas locker and it’s difficult to get to other items in there. 

We only use a bottle every 10 months or so, as while we are currently aboard around 100 days per year, they are only used for cooking. 

If we swap them, will they last pro-rata with the bigger ones? i.e. 7/13 as long which is around 5 months or do you get less gas out due to any pressure losses or similar?

Depends on whether the items you intend to store in your gas locker damage the flexible hoses or not ?

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Don't know the facts but there was a posting on Facebook saying that Calor and going to stop selling some sizes of cylinder 

Oh do tell. Which sizes?

Edited by MHS

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Don't know the facts but there was a posting on Facebook saying that Calor and going to stop selling some sizes of cylinder 

They are withdrawing the calor lite cylinders but are replacing them with a new design.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

No idea, which is why I said I don't know the facts

Facebook is full of bollocks, misinformation, Chinese whispers and downright rubbish.

Edited by MJG

On 15/09/2018 at 19:06, Tacet said:

There was a time when coal was delivered by the large sack - that is 2cwt or a bit over 100kg.

Are you sure about 2cwt because I well remember ordering coal by the cwt s d checking I got my ton or half ton delivered by counting the bags.

Phil 

4 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Are you sure about 2cwt because I well remember ordering coal by the cwt s d checking I got my ton or half ton delivered by counting the bags.

Phil 

Yes,

I chose not to query this, but coal men would have needed to be almost superhuman to handle 2 cwt sacks. surely?  When I was a kid, ours definitely came in 1 cwt sacks, and if you have ever tried to carry one of those on your back for any distance I think you would question many people being able to carry double that.

• Greenie 1

On 15/09/2018 at 19:06, Tacet said:

55 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Phil 

49 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes,

I chose not to query this, but coal men would have needed to be almost superhuman to handle 2 cwt sacks. surely?  When I was a kid, ours definitely came in 1 cwt sacks, and if you have ever tried to carry one of those on your back for any distance I think you would question many people being able to carry double that.

Well, I don't remember it.  As a kid in the 1960s it was my task to count the 40 x 1cwt sacks that were delivered when summer prices prevailed.

But my father told me that 2cwt sacks were previously in use- and wikipedia offer some support for a unit known as the large sack  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_(unit)