Odd enquiry

Hudds Lad

Featured Posts

I know this is a bit odd and i'm unsure where to put this thread but figured here was as good a place as any, so....

does anyone have any top tips for removing lock winding gear grease from clothing, namely waterproofs?

last time out my daughter managed to get some on her brand new (yellow) coat whilst crossing the lock gate and trying to avoid the gate paddle gear

the thick of it was hastily wiped off with tissue but some remains and I now fear its set for life, unless you know different?

right, there you go, i'll now await the sage/sarcastic advice :D

38 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I know this is a bit odd and i'm unsure where to put this thread but figured here was as good a place as any, so....

does anyone have any top tips for removing lock winding gear grease from clothing, namely waterproofs?

last time out my daughter managed to get some on her brand new (yellow) coat whilst crossing the lock gate and trying to avoid the gate paddle gear

the thick of it was hastily wiped off with tissue but some remains and I now fear its set for life, unless you know different?

Oxalic acid ,the vanish stain remover powder has it in the mix ,warm Water and soak for a while ,rinse and repeat if necessary .White Spirit also effective and what everyone else says...

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

I bought some stuff called "Elbow Grease". It really is excellent. It's a spray on degreaser intended for household use. It does a great job taking grease spots out of my polo shirts where I've rubbed a lock gate. I paid something like a pound a bottle in a supermarket in, I think, March in Cambridgeshire, but I can't seem to find it in London. You can buy it on Ebay, but it's more expensive. Get it if you can.

I've just checked and you can buy it in "The Range" if there's a branch near you.

Edited by monkeyhanger
added a sentence
  • Greenie 2

44 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Leave it.

It's a badge of office.

Now she can pose at lock sides as an obvious old hand and order those sporting shiny new jackets what to do.

To really get the look right, a boating jacket should have a dark patina in various places, notably the cuffs and anywhere the hands go, so around the pockets and the zip especially. Not just lock grease, you need some slime off the walls, some diesel and rust, and of course coal dust. For economy it's best to start off with something a bit expendable; mine was £13 from Primark in Croydon. It isn't waterproof, but it'll keep light rain out for a long time. Sadly they seem to have stopped doing them; if I can find another one like it the old one will go on eBay as genuinely distressed clothing, laying on its heritage with a trowel.

43 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

I bought some stuff called "Elbow Grease". It really is excellent. It's a spray on degreaser intended for household use. It does a great job taking grease spots out of my polo shirts where I've rubbed a lock gate. I paid something like a pound a bottle in a supermarket in, I think, March in Cambridgeshire, but I can't seem to find it in London. You can buy it on Ebay, but it's more expensive. Get it if you can.

I've just checked and you can buy it in "The Range" if there's a branch near you.

Excellent stuff. We use it on everything on the boat and at home.

We get it from Boyes.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

'Xactly. 

Each time she crosses a lock more grease staines will accumulate. Pointless worrying bout it. This is why real boaters always dress like scarecrows.

im so into the scarecrow look ,we will blend right in

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

'Xactly. 

Each time she crosses a lock more grease staines will accumulate. Pointless worrying bout it. This is why real boaters always dress like scarecrows.

Very pleased to read this... I'm usually dressed like a scarecrow whilst boating and feel a bit self-conscious when I meet others who are dressed less scruffily than me (i.e. most people). Now I will just consider myself to be a real boater, albeit only part-time.

• Happy 1

7 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Leave it.

It's a badge of office.

Now she can pose at lock sides as an obvious old hand and order those sporting shiny new jackets what to do.

if it was mine i would, but she’s almost 13, 5’8” and very self-conscious so things have to be “just so”, its hard enough to get her off the boat and working locks as it is ;)

thanks for all the above suggestions, gives me something to try and my daughter does like a trip to The Range (usually because she comes home with a load of art supplies).

I used to feel a right scruff when I walked up to the nearest village in my boating clobber.Now,I just go without any thought at all.Not sure what this says about me, but in my very young days- I wouldn't have gone out for the paper without wearing mascara,eye liner & eye shadow.Wore some mascara twice during our 12 wk summer cruise ?.

• Happy 1

Just be aware if it's a waterproof coat any cleaning agent will strip the proofing off so you will have to re proof it. 

If it's just grease, swarfega would be as good as anything.  I used to be in the upholstery cleaning business and despite all the so called professional products we had access to, more often than not it was good old swarfega for a stubborn oily stain.  Another really good product for grease which is pretty much safe to use on anything is auto glym engine and machine cleaner which you can get eg in Halfords.  I have this at home, on the boat, in the car, it really is miracle stuff.

• Greenie 1

On 14/09/2018 at 10:41, Hudds Lad said:

Swarfega.

Rub it in then wash the item.

100% I think on fresh oil and grease.

James

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 01:13, JamesWoolcock said:

Swarfega.

Rub it in then wash the item.

100% I think on fresh oil and grease.

James

that's all well and good, but I had no idea it now came in different flavours.

which do I want? Original Classic, Original, Heavy, Power or Orange? colour me confused ?

On 14/09/2018 at 20:35, The Bearwood Boster said:

Wore some mascara twice during our 12 wk summer cruise ?.

Well I never! Who'd  have even thought you could take it off and then reapply the stuff? And to think many blokes moan about how much money their wives spend. We just don't know the half of it. ;)