Marina slipways

Tom Morgan

Featured Posts

Just now, Tom Morgan said:

Is it acceptable to ask a marina to let you use their slipway just to put a trailered boat into the water and then the boat and car/trailer leave immediately, paying just for the use of the slipway?

Yes.  Some allow it and charge for it, some refuse permission, but it is always acceptable to ask.

You might have to show proof of licence/insurance/bss though. 

Where are you thinking of launching?  Somebody on here will know if you can or can't at nearby marinas.

Thanks for your replies, mates.  I'll come back to this topic in a while when actually looking for an available slipway.  At the moment, I haven't even got the boat, though that may change in a couple of days!  (The boat would be licenced, insured and have a current BSS before it goes into the water, by the way).

1 hour ago, Tom Morgan said:

Is it acceptable to ask a marina to let you use their slipway just to put a trailered boat into the water and then the boat and car/trailer leave immediately, paying just for the use of the slipway?

Yes

I suggest you look at the marinas website to find the charges or phone them.

Yes it is. That's what we have done several times with our boat now.

Slipway charges vary. We have had some that couldn't be bothered with the paperwork so didn't charge us and the most we have paid is £15 but at that one we flushed the trailer through with fresh water as it was a sea based slipway and we hosed the boat down to get the salt off it prior to leaving so I think some of the charge was use of the water.

Our own marina have never charged us for using the slipway.