Ash disposal

Sapphal

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

I was told by CaRT chaps ashing prior to a quick repair to a lock that the best ash for this purpose comes from a local steam railway - a result of the type of coal that they use, I believe.

I don't understand why ash (porous) is supposed to be so good for this. On the Basingstoke Canal they use mud and it seems to work.

On 13/09/2018 at 09:51, Machpoint005 said:

Don't chuck it in the cut. The bottom is too near the top already in many places.

And not being biodegradable and relatively heavy, it will stay where it was thrown in indefinitely. Cool it down and put it in an empty coal bag, then into the rubbish bin.

2 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I don't understand why ash (porous) is supposed to be so good for this. On the Basingstoke Canal they use mud and it seems to work.

My understanding is (and I could easily be wrong!) that the right fineness of ash (or any other substance) means that it does not fall in the water too quickly so that it has time to be sucked in to the gaps by the flow of water rather than rush by on its way to the bottom. Not all muds, like not all ashes, are the same. Something like good quality pottery clay is comprised of fine particles - same with puddling clay, it is what makes it do what it should, so I guess has a similar property but needs to be properly puddles before it is applied, otherwise as large lumpy stuff it will also fall to the bottom. Of course, if the gap is exposed then slapping a large wet lump into the hole will do the job.

6 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Locations that regularly ash the gates often use a keb to lift previous ash from the bottom rather than continually add fresh ash from the top.

George

I didn't want to confuse the issue to much with the "tricks of the trade ie kebbing out & reuse confuse the issue to much

• Greenie 1

• 2 months later...
On 13/09/2018 at 11:32, Sapphal said:

Jen, at those prices, I see why you made your own tippy.

If you that that was expensive for a tippy, what about this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-Metal-Hot-Ash-Tidy-Box-Incinerator-Coal-Paper-Tippy-Fireplace-Carrier/272079168693?hash=item3f592ea4b5:g:MgQAAOSwhkRWca8e:rk:4:pf:1&frcectupt=true

30 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Maybe that includes the butler to take it out for you.