Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
nicknorman

ABC Leisure buys Pridewater Estates marinas

Featured Posts

I see ABC Leisure has just bought Pidewater estates, who own 4 marinas including our Fazeley Mill and Kings Orchard. Hmmm, bit worrying as I like FMM the way it is, and the way it is run. Hope they aren’t going to stuff it with hire boats! Anyone have any experience of mooring at an ABC Leisure marina?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Hope they aren’t going to stuff it with hire boats!

 

Even one's butler would presumably not be happy with that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, alan_fincher said:

 

Even one's butler would presumably not be happy with that!

Well mainly because the way the marina is laid out at present, more than 1 boat on the Services blocks the entrance and exit. I have nothing against hire boats when they are out and about, but I do when they are stacked 3 abreast cluttering the place up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I see ABC Leisure has just bought Pidewater estates, who own 4 marinas including our Fazeley Mill and Kings Orchard. Hmmm, bit worrying as I like FMM the way it is, and the way it is run. Hope they aren’t going to stuff it with hire boats! Anyone have any experience of mooring at an ABC Leisure marina?

 

For the last year I had a Share in a shareboat (2013) it was managed by ABC and moored at Gayton.

 

Very friendly, capable and professional, but a bit expensive for fuel, maintenance and repairs (even with a 10% discount for being moored there).

Edited by Athy
Poster's request.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

 I have nothing against hire boats when they are out and about, but I do when they are stacked 3 abreast cluttering the place up.

Ah! You need to try Clifton Cruisers regular attempts to stop passage on the Northern Oxford!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Ah! You need to try Clifton Cruisers regular attempts to stop passage on the Northern Oxford!

Yes I have experienced that on a couple of occasions. Ditto Anglo Welsh at WW, Gt Haywood, Bunbury. In fact probably most hire bases that are "on line"-ish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Onewheeler said:

At the rate they're expanding they'll be buying CART next.

Interesting that they are not daft enough to take on BWML though!

 

I seem to remember @Alan de Enfield summarising the BWML offer as "How F**king Much!" (slight paraphrase)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I see ABC Leisure has just bought Pidewater estates, who own 4 marinas including our Fazeley Mill and Kings Orchard. Hmmm, bit worrying as I like FMM the way it is, and the way it is run. Hope they aren’t going to stuff it with hire boats! Anyone have any experience of mooring at an ABC Leisure marina?

Pridewater estates now called Waterpride.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had some gas work done at an ABC marina (Anderton) this summer.  They were accommodating, efficient and friendly, after I'd spent several weeks trying to get other gas engineers even to reply to calls.  On the expensive side, but I was glad to get it done.  But I chose to leave my boat for a week at Overwater, directly opposite, because they were about half the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cuthound said:

 

For the last year I had a Share in a shareboat (2013) it was managed by ABC and moored at Gailey.

 

I think Mr Hound means Gayton!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, davem399 said:

I think Mr Hound means Gayton!

 

Indeed,  I meant Gayton.

 

Damn, too late to edit my post now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

 

Indeed,  I meant Gayton.

 

Damn, too late to edit my post now.

As if by magic, it has been changed.

Oh, the last couple of posts don't make sense now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Athy said:

As if by magic, it has been changed.

Oh, the last couple of posts don't make sense now...

 

Thanks Athy.

 

Did RichM ever bottom out why some people can only edit for an hour after posting, whilst others can edit for 24 hours after posting? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cuthound said:

 

Thanks Athy.

 

Did RichM ever bottom out why some people can only edit for an hour after posting, whilst others can edit for 24 hours after posting? 

I might suggest that only owners of Hudsons can do the latter, but that would be cheeky, so I shan't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Athy said:

I might suggest that only owners of Hudsons can do the latter, but that would be cheeky, so I shan't.

Surely the owners wouldn't lower themselves to such manual work - they would have 'their man' do it for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Surely the owners wouldn't lower themselves to such manual work - they would have 'their man' do it for them.

Don't know about "Their man", The Man.

DSCF5895.jpg

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ABC at Gayton were great. Our shared boat moved to another ABC site which was chaotic at best. To some extent it depends who is running the show and whether they have lost the respect of the staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

ABC at Gayton were great. Our shared boat moved to another ABC site which was chaotic at best. To some extent it entirely depends who is running the show and whether they have lost the respect of the staff.

Edited that for you :giggles:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One potential advantage of the ABC takeover is the greater number of other marinas available for reciprocal mooring. We wanted to leave our boat at the Pridewater marina at New Mills but they didn't have space. As both Pridewater & ABC allow mooring at their other marinas at no extra charge, this should give more options. Whether it'll make up for any negative changes, is another matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Popped into Gayton last week, new chandlery offices etc.  Friendly service and diesel (self declaration) was .71p plus 15% off until the end of October. That discount applies to most things it seems - but please check. Will most likely go back next week as I need a barge pole and they have some for under £40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, roggie said:

Will most likely go back next week as I need a barge pole and they have some for under £40.

Pine or ash poles?  It does make a lot of difference if you use them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Don't know, I'd just moored up and saw a guy walking away from the marina carrying one, will ask when I go there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.