ABC Leisure buys Pridewater Estates marinas

nicknorman

Featured Posts

I see ABC Leisure has just bought Pidewater estates, who own 4 marinas including our Fazeley Mill and Kings Orchard. Hmmm, bit worrying as I like FMM the way it is, and the way it is run. Hope they aren’t going to stuff it with hire boats! Anyone have any experience of mooring at an ABC Leisure marina?

Just now, alan_fincher said:

Even one's butler would presumably not be happy with that!

Well mainly because the way the marina is laid out at present, more than 1 boat on the Services blocks the entrance and exit. I have nothing against hire boats when they are out and about, but I do when they are stacked 3 abreast cluttering the place up.

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I see ABC Leisure has just bought Pidewater estates, who own 4 marinas including our Fazeley Mill and Kings Orchard. Hmmm, bit worrying as I like FMM the way it is, and the way it is run. Hope they aren’t going to stuff it with hire boats! Anyone have any experience of mooring at an ABC Leisure marina?

For the last year I had a Share in a shareboat (2013) it was managed by ABC and moored at Gayton.

Very friendly, capable and professional, but a bit expensive for fuel, maintenance and repairs (even with a 10% discount for being moored there).

Edited by Athy
Poster's request.

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

I have nothing against hire boats when they are out and about, but I do when they are stacked 3 abreast cluttering the place up.

Ah! You need to try Clifton Cruisers regular attempts to stop passage on the Northern Oxford!

16 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Ah! You need to try Clifton Cruisers regular attempts to stop passage on the Northern Oxford!

Yes I have experienced that on a couple of occasions. Ditto Anglo Welsh at WW, Gt Haywood, Bunbury. In fact probably most hire bases that are "on line"-ish

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Pridewater estates now called Waterpride.

I had some gas work done at an ABC marina (Anderton) this summer.  They were accommodating, efficient and friendly, after I'd spent several weeks trying to get other gas engineers even to reply to calls.  On the expensive side, but I was glad to get it done.  But I chose to leave my boat for a week at Overwater, directly opposite, because they were about half the price.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

As if by magic, it has been changed.

Oh, the last couple of posts don't make sense now...

Thanks Athy.

Did RichM ever bottom out why some people can only edit for an hour after posting, whilst others can edit for 24 hours after posting? 

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

Thanks Athy.

Did RichM ever bottom out why some people can only edit for an hour after posting, whilst others can edit for 24 hours after posting? 

I might suggest that only owners of Hudsons can do the latter, but that would be cheeky, so I shan't.

3 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

ABC at Gayton were great. Our shared boat moved to another ABC site which was chaotic at best. To some extent it entirely depends who is running the show and whether they have lost the respect of the staff.

Edited that for you :giggles:.

One potential advantage of the ABC takeover is the greater number of other marinas available for reciprocal mooring. We wanted to leave our boat at the Pridewater marina at New Mills but they didn't have space. As both Pridewater & ABC allow mooring at their other marinas at no extra charge, this should give more options. Whether it'll make up for any negative changes, is another matter.

Popped into Gayton last week, new chandlery offices etc.  Friendly service and diesel (self declaration) was .71p plus 15% off until the end of October. That discount applies to most things it seems - but please check. Will most likely go back next week as I need a barge pole and they have some for under £40.