What boat builder for manufacture of a custom designed shell?

Phil_B

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Phil_B said:

You know it is short form for 'Computer Aided Design' the hint is there that it is all about computers, lol.

See you have NO IDEA about manners. Only my own good manners prevent me from saying you have the manners of a pig. 

So instead, I'll say you don't have the manners of a pig. 

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, Phil_B said:

If your not on a computer doing the design then it is not 'computer aided'. So yes it IS all about computers, you can't do it without one.

I would suggest the computer is used a tool for recording one's own design. I very much doubt the computer 'aids' in the actual designing. Or are you saying it helps with the design by saying 'oh, that won't be strong enough!' or 'hey that will look shyte so do it like this instead'?

11 minutes ago, Phil_B said:

If your not on a computer doing the design then it is not 'computer aided'. So yes it IS all about computers, you can't do it without one.

No more than being a draughtsman is all about paper. The medium is pretty useless without the skill to understand what you are designing.

JP

• Greenie 2

48 minutes ago, Phil_B said:

Do their boats handle well?

They have been building excellent boats for 40 years. They have subtle curves which cost time and money to create. Our boat has long swims fore and aft and handles very well without the need for a bow thruster. Photos are of our boat when out of the water for blacking. - it might be old and Colecraft may have slightly altered the lines of current boats. There are also subtle curves in the cabin sides - in the last photos note the way the front corner of the cabin gently curves inwards - a detail few fabricators do as it makes fitting out more difficult. Teh cabin also has a upwards sweep at the rear. The isgn writing is by Jon Leeson trading as Letter Knight - he is very good.

Phil_B I think that you have received some very good advice about shell fabricators from forum members. I think it is now time for you to go out and talk to a few shell builders about your ideas and see if they can accommodate your ideas.

IMG_4794.JPG

IMG_1884.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

Edited by Richard T

20 minutes ago, Richard T said:

They have been building excellent boats for 40 years. They have subtle curves which cost time and money to create. Our boat has long swims fore and aft and handles very well without the need for a bow thruster. Photos are of our boat when out of the water for blacking. - it might be old and Colecraft may have slightly altered the lines of current boats. There are also subtle curves in the cabin sides - in the last photos note the way the front corner of the cabin gently curves inwards - a detail few fabricators do as it makes fitting out more difficult. Teh cabin also has a upwards sweep at the rear. The isgn writing is by Jon Leeson trading as Letter Knight - he is very good.

Phil_B I think that you have received some very good advice about shell fabricators from forum members. I think it is now time for you to go out and talk to a few shell builders about your ideas and see if they can accommodate your ideas.

IMG_4794.JPG

IMG_1884.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

Thanks Richard, it's good to know and see the pics also. I quite like thE bow on their boats so may be worth a visit to get an idea of price.

1 hour ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Silly question to ask a Colecraft owner.

Phil 

My first boat was a colecraft made a huge wash and handled like a pig. I suspect by now its a rotting liverboard in lunnun. It Had a square stern, and very short swim.

Of course in those days amstrad and zx81s were all the rage in computers, using one of them to design it im sure would have helped. Strangely they went away from the square back cruiser.

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Subtle curves? Really?

THIS is my idea of 'subtle curves...

20180827_131703.jpg

Brinklow

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Subtle curves? Really?

THIS is my idea of 'subtle curves...

20180827_131703.jpg

Mike,

I agree that Theophilus has very subtle curves in the hull which are much better than nearly all shells currently being constructed. There are a few builders who create versions of original working boat hulls but they are so far out of the OPs budget that they are not really worth mentioning. I was really referring to the cabin curves which are subtle. I would rather have a Colecraft hull than many clonecraft ones. Colecraft hulls also do have a reputation for swimming well.

Cheers

Richard

4 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Brinklow

Glascote.

1 minute ago, Richard T said:

Mike,

I agree that Theophilus has very subtle curves in the hull which are much better than nearly all shells currently being constructed. There are a few builders who create versions of original working boat hulls but they are so far out of the OPs budget that they are not really worth mentioning. I was really referring to the cabin curves which are subtle. I would rather have a Colecraft hull than many clonecraft ones. Colecraft hulls also do have a reputation for swimming well.

Cheers

Richard

Ah ok, I agree with you about the cabin curves on a colecraft. In particular the little lift at the front is delightful and few other builders do it. And the proper semi-elyptical stern on yours. I like that too. Just under the waterline colecrafts are as crude as the next hull fabricator.

In truth though is there that much down to the hull or is it more the weighting inside the boat - off centre water storage tanks/cylinders/heavy items etc that make the boat list and or shift weight awkwardly when moving? Large water tanks with a lot of water sloshing around or too light on thd bow, etc.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, MJG said:

This has to be worthy of the 'thread of the month' award.......surely?

It really is quite surreal, isn't it?..............

I know I'll be wasting some more of my life if I come back to it, but somehow I can't help myself!

1 hour ago, Phil_B said:

In truth though is there that much down to the hull or is it more the weighting inside the boat - off centre water storage tanks/cylinders/heavy items etc that make the boat list and or shift weight awkwardly when moving? Large water tanks with a lot of water sloshing around or too light on thd bow, etc.

You truly still have much to learn!

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Every post you make just demonstrates your ignorance of all things boat related. 

Phil 

How many of us knew much about how narrowboats are built the first time we encountered one? The O.P. is of course a tyro, but obviously a thoughtful one. He is somewhat startled by the reality which he's encountered, but he's learning from it. Isn't that what many of us did?

Just now, Athy said:

How many of us knew much about how narrowboats are built the first time we encountered one? The O.P. is of course a tyro, but obviously a thoughtful one. He is somewhat startled by the reality which he's encountered, but he's learning from it. Isn't that what many of us did?

But......he doesn't appear to be learning at all, he is fixed on the fact he is right and everyone else is a numpty 

Phil 

1 hour ago, Phil_B said:

Care to enlighten me seeing by your statement you lay claim to superior knowledge.

Within reason getting the for & aft trim wrong will only alter the boat's pivot point when turning although getting it badly wrong may make it difficult to handle.

It is the center part of the hull that gives narrowboats whatever stability they have, not the swims so the longer the center part the less tender the boat will be. However the shorter the boat the greater the length of the swims as a proportion of the hull so shorter boats tend to sway about a lot more.

Any off center weight should be counter balanced during the build by ballasting more on one side than the other so they trim with no list but naturally things like off center holding thanks will cause a small degree of list as they fill and empty. A well ballasted boat would have a small list one way when the said tank is empty and a small list the other way when full. Bow and stern mounted tanks do affect the trim but as you have probably read in other topics by not as much as you would imagine.

Narrowboats do not go fast enough for centrifugal force to push the contents of the water tank to one side so liquid slopping about in the tanks normally has no noticeable effect on the boat and in any case the weight and thus inertia in the many tons of ballast would tend to damp any such movement of the hull.

Your musings so far lead me to think that you will end up with a fairly tender boat.

Edited by Tony Brooks
Chage blasting in para 3 to ballasting
  • Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

But......he doesn't appear to be learning at all, he is fixed on the fact he is right and everyone else is a numpty 

Phil 

Agreed my take is that he is so set in his I know it all & what minute knowledge he doesn't have he can bring his self up to speed in half a a days computing He seems either incapable of accepting differing opinion from his own in a lot of cases incorrect or mislead info my query is why is he asks advice when he clearly has no intention of either accepting it or considering that it could be correct & proven & an improvement on his thinking