What boat builder for manufacture of a custom designed shell?

Phil_B

Featured Posts

Maybe here would be something like you're looking for? I've attached one of their sample CAD drawings, no idea what their reputation is though...

https://www.thefitoutpontoon.co.uk/

https://www.thefitoutpontoon.co.uk/narrowboat-widebeam-hulls-sailaways/

narrowboat-design-2.jpg

Edited by IanD

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

Maybe here would be something like you're looking for? I've attached one of their sample CAD drawings, no idea what their reputation is though...

narrowboat-design-2.jpg

Is that showing the 3 versions ?

Northern Hemisphere,

Equatorial

Southern Hemisphere

Edited by Alan de Enfield

If you are only intending a 35ish foot boat with decent swims you will have no a very little straight side & any swim behind the front & in front of the rear bulk head will reduce the cabin space dependent on draft say 18"/ 24"this will encroach half way up the usual 1metre sides

5 hours ago, IanD said:

https://www.thefitoutpontoon.co.uk/narrowboat-widebeam-hulls-sailaways/

narrowboat-design-2.jpg

Thanks Ian, yes I saw their DIY design plans. Handy you put this one up as it gives a starting point from which something could be drawn up. Many thanks :)

2 hours ago, X Alan W said:

If you are only intending a 35ish foot boat with decent swims you will have no a very little straight side & any swim behind the front & in front of the rear bulk head will reduce the cabin space dependent on draft say 18"/ 24"this will encroach half way up the usual 1metre sides

That's handy to know Alan, I can probably compromise on internal width a little so don't mind to much there. As long as I can get a good 6ft internal height, which is my height so 6ft 1" or perhaps preferably 6ft 2" then that's what I really need to avoid a stoop.

2 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Hi Phil B welcome to the forum. You could try Will Trickett, it's not his usual style of build but he does do 'one offs' - http://www.willtrickettboats.com

If he can't help you he can probably point you in the right direction and he is based in Wiltshire. 

And the quoted £12k budget will get you the initial consultation, not the finished boat!

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's not a custom shell.  That's a standard shell in a style you like with a couple of extras, and is far more likely than what you originally described.

If you want "odd" window placement the builder will need to know in advance to avoid landing them on joins or supports, but honestly a CAD drawing is way too far to take this level of tweaking to a standard design.

Do you have any simple drawings/sketches showing concept elevations and plan?  That would be enough for most builders, and if you are feeling very brave post them on here so you can get the combined wisdom of the forum.

Just remember what they say about opinions ... 

Well Biscuit I think for the most part you're probably right in it not largely being a custom shell. I would want specific window placement to make thd best of the views etc and small standard items in specific places. Small small exterior add ons to the cabin and seating area in the semi trad stern and at the bow done how I like. Shutters also. That's about it.

I am aware that some boat builders may be of the mind of you have their 'standard' standard design which is much the same from one to another and would be unwilling to deviate much even on the external cabin. Then there are those boat builders that are happy for you to tweak around with the cabin and even describe such changes as either part of the basic hull package or additional extras which some list with prices.

So I guess I'm looking for a boat builder that is not too rigid. One that is not too dismissive or 'that's what we do' take it or leave it mentality. I think as someone said earlier visiting them to see what they are like on a personal level and also example of their work is a good idea.

I would however go with CAD and insist on it being followed accurate to measurements given for Windows etc and this being a part of the contract. I'm really not into a vague 'can you do something along these lines' sort of drawing. If something is done I'm no happy about then there would be little recourse for me. 

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

And the quoted £12k budget will get you the initial consultation, not the finished boat!

Possibly, possibly not,  it's worth asking him as he has self employed guys there who will do all sorts of stuff.

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That would be a concern of mine. I watched the TV thing he did with Kevin McCloud. I guess I'm not looking to push the boat out that much as it were. It's more little quirks of style of mine than something off the wall. i.e. something personalised but not anything of a big deviation as such.

11 hours ago, Athy said:

Mel Davis would probably build what you wanted - he prefers traditional desighns but has built odd things like an "Eco-boat" to customers' individual equirements. But I doubt whether he'd do it for £12,000.

The bows he does seem to look ok. Not too much of the weird upturn like some of them. Any idea of a rough figure what he might charge for a hull with a few external cabin specifics?

22 minutes ago, Phil_B said:

I would however go with CAD and insist on it being followed accurate to measurements given for Windows etc and this being a part of the contract. I'm really not into a vague 'can you do something along these lines' sort of drawing. If something is done I'm no happy about then there would be little recourse for me. 

You can give them more than a sketch and less than a full CAD drawing to achieve this - they do it all the time.

A plan & 2 elevations with dimensions clearly marked would be more than sufficient, and will likely be what a "proper" boatbuilder will use in the workshop.   A full up CAD drawing will either get ignored or worse the bloke whose computer can read it will sketch notes on the back of a fag packet and they will use those in the workshop!

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You can give them more than a sketch and less than a full CAD drawing to achieve this - they do it all the time.

A plan & 2 elevations with dimensions clearly marked would be more than sufficient, and will likely be what a "proper" boatbuilder will use in the workshop.   A full up CAD drawing will either get ignored or worse the bloke whose computer can read it will sketch notes on the back of a fag packet and they will use those in the workshop!

I'm not saying about a CAD drawing with a ridiculous level of detailing. I could draw it on a drawing board or on a computer screen it makes little difference other than being able to make changes more easily on a computer and generate a 3D model. I have some specific small detail requirements that I wish added and CAD would be the easiest way to communicate these plus both I and the boat builder gets a full idea of what it looks like.

I would print out the CAD drawings rather than send a file so they have it on say an A1 format, up large for ease of reference. I really wouldn't want a boatbuilder that would disrespect such drawings and goes off to hammer away what 'he thinks' is a close proximity to the actual design. I certainly wouldn't pay for it if was not what I asked for.

Just now, Phil_B said:

I'm not saying about a CAD drawing with a ridiculous level of detailing.

[...]

I would print out the CAD drawings rather than send a file

[...]

I really wouldn't want a boatbuilder that would disrespect such drawings and goes off to hammer away what 'he thinks' is a close proximity to the actual design.

That is what I was trying to get across, so you will be fine.  If your requirements are to have that window X mm from the bulkhead and the other window Y mm from the first window, you will get what you order.

1 hour ago, Phil_B said:

I would however go with CAD and insist on it being followed accurate to measurements given for Windows etc and this being a part of the contract. 

You sure know how to alienate the more experienced shell builders out there!

I think you have unrealistically high expectations given your low budget, and once you start dictating the accuracy of the window positions, I think you're likely to get shown the door again and again and again. No builder is going to risk you rejecting his shell because one window is 1/4" away from the position on your drawing when in reality it doesn't really matter..

Far better to go with the flow and work with a good builder the way he likes to work. Biro sketch on the back of an envelope says you trust him. CAD says you don't. 

Just sayin'....

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Biro sketch on the back of an envelope says you trust him. CAD says you don't. 

It says I'm a fool. I trust no one. I'm the one paying and there is no point me paying if I'm not going to be getting what I am paying for.

I mean this is absolutely ridiculous we are well into the 21st century here and your telling me most of them are not even vaguely familar with CAD that came in decades ago, lol. I think you must be winding me up! 

I'm looking for a boat builder with a big of intelligence up top to understand what is required of a CAD drawing, a perfectly reasonable request. I don't need some hillbilly or oaf who pleases himself and is ignorant of what the customer wishes. Would I be right in thinking I would be best avoiding the smaller Boatbuilders who I'm guessing are old boys and set in their ways?

Edited by Phil_B

1 hour ago, Phil_B said:

That's handy to know Alan, I can probably compromise on internal width a little so don't mind to much there. As long as I can get a good 6ft internal height, which is my height so 6ft 1" or perhaps preferably 6ft 2" then that's what I really need to avoid a stoop.

If you go with the mostly standard of 1 Metre hull side plate & 1 Metre cabin side plates with a slightly curved roof with your angle floor bearers 19 mm ply  floor& allowing for roof insulation & lining you should end up with either or slightly north of 6' 2" headroom maybe a whisker less at the side /roof joint

6 minutes ago, Phil_B said:

It says I'm a fool. I trust no one. I'm thd one paying and there is no point me paying if I'm not going to be getting what I am paying for.

I mean this is absolutely ridiculous we are well into the 21st century here and your telling me most of them are not even vaguely familar with CAD that came in decades ago, lol. I think you must be winding me up! 

I'm looking for a boat builder with a big of intelligence up top to understand what is required of a CAD drawing, a perfectly reasonable request. I don't need some hillbilly or oaf who pleases himself and is ignorant of what the customer wishes. Would I be right in thinking I would be best avoiding the smaller Boatbuilders who I'm guessing are old boys and set in their ways?

I can see you point of view, but boat building is a craft, its not really engineering. If you have a computer controlled lathe or mill then yes, CAD is what its all about. But boatbuilding is about forming 6mm steel plates, they are part welded then maybe lugs welded on and a block and tackle used to bend them into shape, in fact I expect many builders have their own "special" method of forming the shapes, pull a bit, stand back and look, pull a bit more, yes, that looks right, weld it in place. CAD only really works with CNC tools!

Boats are like Victorian houses, the tape measure and spirit level are a starting point, but standing back and looking is also important.

...............Dave

• Greenie 3