What boat builder for manufacture of a custom designed shell?

Phil_B

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Ray T said:

These also:

img_8617.jpg

Not my photo, one wot I found on t' net.

Do we know what this one is?

It's nothing like as curvy as a "Middle Northwich" like Sextrans, Sickle, Theophilus, Tycho etc, though.

They are about as "curvy" as any working narrow boat built for carrying actually got.

20 hours ago, Phil_B said:

In truth though is there that much down to the hull or is it more the weighting inside the boat - off centre water storage tanks/cylinders/heavy items etc that make the boat list and or shift weight awkwardly when moving? Large water tanks with a lot of water sloshing around or too light on thd bow, etc.

From those comments I'm guessing you haven't ever been on a canal boat!

FFS, put down the keyboard, close down the computer, get off your arse and get out and LOOK AT SOME BOATS!!

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

From those comments I'm guessing you haven't ever been on a canal boat!

FFS, put down the keyboard, close down the computer, get off your arse and get out and LOOK AT SOME BOATS!!

This ^^^^

To be fair, the OP originally just asked for suggestions about which shell builder to victimise patronise. Since he’s an architect, presumably he’s an ARIBA (Always Remember I’m the Bloody Architect).

There is a danger, I would hazard a guess, that a CAD designed boat would end up a sort of "Barratt Homes" type build.

Optimised efficient and ultra tweaked - but essentially soul-less.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, mark99 said:

There is a danger, I would hazard a guess, that a CAD designed boat would end up a sort of "Barratt Homes" type build.

And a long CAD designed snagging list

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Not really. CAD is an electronic 3D drawing board. The design still comes from the mind of the designer

35 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Not really. CAD is an electronic 3D drawing board. The design still comes from the mind of the designer

Exactly, but that doesn't seem to be what the OP wanted or was able to understand, and why I and others suggested he needed to actually talk to bodybuilders BEFORE he did anything.

46 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Yes - you are sort of making the point.

By using CAD, you risk delegating key decisions to the newbie and the real expert becomes a mere fabricator of patterns.

Edited by mark99

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do you think they'd help ?

Image result for bodybuilders

1 hour ago, billS said:

Handy for bending steel sheets to shape - I would have thought.

8 minutes ago, cuthound said:

And settling contract disputes ?

No good for working inside a narrowboat though, I think they'd struggle with getting through a lot of boat doors let alone trying to get inside cupboards etc to reach pumps & pipework etc.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:
1. (n) the condition that arises in males who have stopped taking steroids. The male body in reaction to the steroids starts producing large amaounts of female hormones such as estrogren and progesterone, resulting in the growth of breasts

How gross.