What boat builder for manufacture of a custom designed shell?

Phil_B

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Agreed my take is that he is so set in his I know it all & what minute knowledge he doesn't have he can bring his self up to speed in half a a days computing He seems either incapable of accepting differing opinion from his own in a lot of cases incorrect or mislead info my query is why is he asks advice when he clearly has no intention of either accepting it or considering that it could be correct & proven & an improvement on his thinking

I agree. Its a regular pattern here.

Once every month or two we get a new poster who asks a question but does not want an answer, he (always a he) wants confirmation of what he has already decided. If he doesn't get it (as in this case) then gets shirty with people disagreeing, tells us we are all wrong and the insults begin to flow. 

Just now, Phil_B said:

Ok, well you've answered what I wanted to know in this topic so we'll end it here. Thank you all for your responses, some were very helpful :) I have no further comment to make.

I'm pleased that you found the responses useful. No doubt you'll be going to see some boatbuilders soon: your impressions, opinions and progress will be of interest, so don't be a stranger.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Once every month or two we get a new poster who asks a question but does not want an answer, he (always a he) wants confirmation of what he has already decided. If he doesn't get it (as in this case) then gets shirty with people disagreeing, tells us we are all wrong and the insults begin to flow. 

Not a problem Mike I know what canal knowledge I have & am happy with that from my point of view he can carry on. So much with trying to be helpful  at least most of whom he classes as stone age numptys have been there done that & obtained several "T" shirts

• Greenie 2

44 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Always a 'he', or is that an assumption on the part of a male dominated forum?

Did fallenangel of Victron inverter thread fame declare gender? I didn't see it but I did note there was an assumption that they were male. From the style of their posts I would put my fiver on that poster having been female if I had to make a guess.

JP

The gender doesn't really matter but the basic point is correct.

We get similar on Carvanning forums, along the (exaggerated) lines of 'I have a Fiat 500 and I want to tow a Hobby twin axle caravan'. When numerous people offer the advice which varies from it's down right dangerous to impossible they challenge sound advice and get increasingly rude in doing so.

Begs the question why people ask for advice when they don't want to hear it.

Edited by MJG

10 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Did fallenangel of Victron inverter thread fame declare gender?

I often wonder what folks are trying to hide by not declaring a gender, and then getting 'arsey' when you make an assumption based on their forum name.

One would have thought, for example, that "Dora The Explorer" was female - but no, say something such as 'I wonder how she is' and get a blistering reply "don't assume I'm female'.

If it worries you then declare what you are !!!

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I often wonder what folks are trying to hide by not declaring a gender, and then getting 'arsey' when you make an assumption based on their forum name.

One would have thought, for example, that "Dora The Explorer" was female - but no, say something such as 'I wonder how she is' and get a blistering reply "don't assume I'm female'.

If it worries you then declare what you are !!!

It's an open Internet forum so no one should feel obliged to declare anything and there should certainly be no assumption they are trying to hide anything by not doing so.

However the interaction needed to make such a forum work will result in people naturally making assumptions about the people they are addressing, that's just basic human nature. So there's really no point in getting arsey if you declare something that purports to be fact but isn't and someone takes you at face value. Personally I tend to take things I read literally and I am not very good at reading between the lines. Anyway, the dangers of trying to turn facts into fiction are amply demonstrated by Mr Trump.

Same applies if you choose not to declare. Folks will naturally fill in the gaps. You just have to accept that as a consequence.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

4 minutes ago, MJG said:

That doesn't make sense.

It does to me! Some people have supreme self-confidence, but some feel the need to seek the praise, approval or agreement of other people. 

Edited by Athy

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

It does to me! Some people have supreme self-confidence, but some feel the need to seek the praise, approval or agreement of other people. 

Come off it Mike - 

Care to enlighten me seeing by your statement you lay claim to superior knowledge.

Is hardly the posting of a person seeking 'reassurance' or of somebody seeking praise or approval. It's worded incorrectly for sure if it is,

Just now, MJG said:

Come off it Mike - 

Care to enlighten me seeing by your statement you lay claim to superior knowledge.

Is hardly the posting of a person seeking 'reassurance' or of somebody seeking praise or approval. It's worded incorrectly for sure if it is,

I was speaking, or rather writing, in general rather than in specific terms. However, yes, I think that the O.P.'s original stance was that he had clear ideas about designing his boat and hoped that these would meet with approval and encouragement.

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

If They require he latter part of your post why when folk try to help do they take an attitude to p**s off the reply's to their posts&s I was told as a child by my grandad "It's not what you say it's the manner you say it"

Edited by X Alan W

16 minutes ago, Athy said:

I was speaking, or rather writing, in general rather than in specific terms. However, yes, I think that the O.P.'s original stance was that he had clear ideas about designing his boat and hoped that these would meet with approval and encouragement.

A better way would have been with replies to the op woud have been why do you think your ideas would work /perform better than mine not you numptys are from the stone age Again not what but how some thing is  said

3 hours ago, MJG said:

That doesn't make sense.

You're right, it is illogical but it happens all the time. Humans are an odd lot in the main.

You or I might not ask a question of a group if we didn't feel the members were competent to answer but the OP is not particularly unusual, in my experience.

He is offended at Alan's "claim to superior knowledge" so he clearly didn't expect experienced comment from the forum, yet he still chose to ask the question.