Dawncraft questions

Craigw

Featured Posts

Hello guys, 

I’m new to boating, just got a dawncraft 22 which I’m renovating and really looking forward to getting into the water. It’s just a shell really and have started to fit it out. It’s on a trailer atm and I would like to get it on the water to check it’s all watertight and sound before I completely fit it out (my thinking being if there was a dribble I’d rather sort it first and not by ripping the internals out to get to it). I would then plan to do the last bits whilst it was floating. I know I need a safety certificate etc before going on the water but would I get one granted for little more than a shell? Any advice would be appreciated 

11 minutes ago, Craigw said:

Any advice would be appreciated 

It sounds as if the boat would be exempt from the BSS (until you start fitting out.

Can you comply with the attached ?

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/733-boat-safety-scheme-certificate-application-for-exemption.pdf

Thank you Alan, there is no gas or electrics  fitted and it has an outboard so I guess it would be exempt for the time being and after I’ve done them I could get the certificate. 

harry I’m hoping to keep it light but I’ve never seen it in the water so I don’t know how low it sits, I’m hoping not very. The rubbing strips have been screwed in and a bit of sealant rubbed around them but they come all the way through, making me a touch nervous.

I also have a Dawncraft 22. We should start a gang  ;):D

Mine has two big planks of wood along the bottom of the boat which are completely submerged. I was (wisely!) advised to put plenty of sealant around them to keep the water out as I believe they're screwed into the bottom of the boat.

Like the others have said, the wooden side beams are screwed into the side of the boat and in some cases, you can see the screw on the inside. They should all be above the water line.

I might be talking rubbish here, but what if you put several inches of water inside the empty boat while it's on the trailer? If some leaks out, then you have a hole somewhere.

11 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

I also have a Dawncraft 22. We should start a gang  ;):D

Mine has two big planks of wood along the bottom of the boat which are completely submerged. I was (wisely!) advised to put plenty of sealant around them to keep the water out as I believe they're screwed into the bottom of the boat.

Like the others have said, the wooden side beams are screwed into the side of the boat and in some cases, you can see the screw on the inside. They should all be above the water line.

I might be talking rubbish here, but what if you put several inches of water inside the empty boat while it's on the trailer? If some leaks out, then you have a hole somewhere.

The dawncraft 22 club! We should get some stickers made and have a Freemasons style handshake.

Someone I was talking to taking to the other day suggested filling it up but it’s already got some standing water in it I’m trying to take out (it’s been out of the water for a few years) and the thought of popping a hose in it and filling it up makes me feel queasy 

42 minutes ago, Craigw said:

The dawncraft 22 club! We should get some stickers made and have a Freemasons style handshake.

Someone I was talking to taking to the other day suggested filling it up but it’s already got some standing water in it I’m trying to take out (it’s been out of the water for a few years) and the thought of popping a hose in it and filling it up makes me feel queasy 

While it's on the trailer you can get all of the standing water out by drilling a hole in it at the lowest point.  The added advantage is that you'll know for sure you have a hole it. 

I used to have a Dawncraft 30 Centre Cockpit which because of the weight of the BMC 1.5 diesel in the back cabin all of the wooden strakes at that end were below water level.  To my horror one year after a particularly confrontational trip up and down the Grand Union I observed that the strake at the rear left hand side was missing.  However there was a row of screws protruding.

It was quite expensive finding a boatyard willing to crane it out at short notice, remove the screws, manufacture replacement wooden strakes (I had the other side done as well) seal it all and crane back in.

35 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

While it's on the trailer you can get all of the standing water out by drilling a hole in it at the lowest point.  The added advantage is that you'll know for sure you have a hole it. 

You're a sick man! But I like your way of solving puzzles...  :D

1 hour ago, Craigw said:

The dawncraft 22 club! We should get some stickers made

I'm thinking little enamel badges of the old Dawncraft logo.  :D

http://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/documents/Dawncraft-22_1.pdf

1 hour ago, Craigw said:

it’s already got some standing water in it I’m trying to take out (it’s been out of the water for a few years) and the thought of popping a hose in it and filling it up makes me feel queasy

If you have a battery in it, or spare, you could use a bilge pump (about £15 on Amazon) with a bit of tubing crudely and hook it up to the battery. It'd pump out the water (new or old) in no time.

Edited by ronnietucker