Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
billh

email notifications

Featured Posts

Since the change of forum servers about two weeks ago, I have received no email notifications of members  replies to the topics I have contributed to. Anyone had the same  problem and what is the reason? Do I need to change something in my profile?

"Notify me of replies" switch  is checked as below......

Thanks

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never receive them. I get an e-mail only when I receive a new personal message. Is that not the norm?

I do get a white number in a red "notification" box at the top of the page to show that someone has replied to topics to which I have contributed. That's fine by me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Athy said:

I do get a white number in a red "notification" box at the top of the page to show that someone has replied to topics to which I have contributed.

I thought that was only when someone actually quoted you - not - just posted in the same thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I thought that was only when someone actually quoted you - not - just posted in the same thread.

You could well be right. I will monitor my notifications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Athy said:

I never receive them. I get an e-mail only when I receive a new personal message. Is that not the norm?

 

No, before two weeks ago, I received email  notifications even when I wasn't signed in to the forum, this very handy feature had worked for about 12months prior to the server changeover. Now it doesn't, even for this topic. I'm not that bothered just wondered what changed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, billh said:

No, before two weeks ago, I received email  notifications even when I wasn't signed in to the forum, this very handy feature had worked for about 12months prior to the server changeover. Now it doesn't, even for this topic. I'm not that bothered just wondered what changed?

Sorry to hear that. I wonder if RichM, who I think understands how it all works, could advise you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, billh said:

No, before two weeks ago, I received email  notifications even when I wasn't signed in to the forum, this very handy feature had worked for about 12months prior to the server changeover. Now it doesn't, even for this topic. I'm not that bothered just wondered what changed?

Maybe its a consequence of one of the new 'improvements'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Athy said:

I never receive them. I get an e-mail only when I receive a new personal message. Is that not the norm?

I do get a white number in a red "notification" box at the top of the page to show that someone has replied to topics to which I have contributed. That's fine by me.

Same for me, never had an email yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just checked mine.  Clicked on my name top right - Account Settings- Notification settings.  Then a list of check boxes, but below them (which I missed at first) a much longer list of toggle switches to set the precise e-mail preferences.  They seemed set to what I actually get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears your ISP who hosts your email is currently blocking emails from us. If you have another email address I'd recommend using that for receiving email from Canal World.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RichM said:

It appears your ISP who hosts your email is currently blocking emails from us. If you have another email address I'd recommend using that for receiving email from Canal World.

 

 

Thanks for that. Is it a co-incidence that the problem started at the same time as the forum server change?  How do I get my ISP to accept forum emails? .

I have changed some settings in the browser about notifications from websites, I'll see if that works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, billh said:

How do I get my ISP to accept forum emails?

If your ISP, or some intermediary in the delivery chain, is mistakenly classifying the mail as spam (and assuming the emails are not in your "spam" folder) this can be tricky , or close to impossible!   I've had exactly this with some other "automated" senders.    Originally, everyone's Inbox used to get clogged up with spam; then ISPs developed automated processes to divert it to a separate 'spam folder' (and you could retrieve stuff that they had put there mistakenly); but now some are just deleting it unilaterally - which is a real pain if it is something you actually want to receive.

 

You can try adding the forum email address to your address book / contacts, but in my experience this doesn't always work.  (I.e. the address that notification emails are sent from.  Not sure what this is - it might be helpful to mention it on the site somewhere, perhaps in a sticky in Technical & Account Support, as if we all added it to our contacts this might feed back to ISPs that it isn't a spam issuer).

 

It also helps if everyone on the site never classifies notification emails as spam, as that will certainly get back to ISPs and cause more problems.  Change notification settings or just delete the emails if they are not wanted.

 

I don't know if the forum itself can do anything, with security certificates or similar,  to identify the site as a "valid" non-spam sender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cheese said:

If your ISP, or some intermediary in the delivery chain, is mistakenly classifying the mail as spam (and assuming the emails are not in your "spam" folder) this can be tricky , or close to impossible!   I've had exactly this with some other "automated" senders.    Originally, everyone's Inbox used to get clogged up with spam; then ISPs developed automated processes to divert it to a separate 'spam folder' (and you could retrieve stuff that they had put there mistakenly); but now some are just deleting it unilaterally - which is a real pain if it is something you actually want to receive.

 

You can try adding the forum email address to your address book / contacts, but in my experience this doesn't always work.  (I.e. the address that notification emails are sent from.  Not sure what this is - it might be helpful to mention it on the site somewhere, perhaps in a sticky in Technical & Account Support, as if we all added it to our contacts this might feed back to ISPs that it isn't a spam issuer).

 

It also helps if everyone on the site never classifies notification emails as spam, as that will certainly get back to ISPs and cause more problems.  Change notification settings or just delete the emails if they are not wanted.

 

I don't know if the forum itself can do anything, with security certificates or similar,  to identify the site as a "valid" non-spam sender.

This is correct.

I have just now configured the forum software to use SMTP auth rather than phpmail. As for certificates, we will probably look into TLS encryption soon.  

 @billh Is the issue still apparent? 

 

Cheers

 

RichM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

@RichM Do you also know the canalworld.net emails are producing a DKIM fail?

We don't use DKIM at present. We use SPF and while not the same it's similar. Most emails we send are accepted by the recipient mail servers but we will likely make further improvements in coming months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RichM said:

This is correct.

I have just now configured the forum software to use SMTP auth rather than phpmail. As for certificates, we will probably look into TLS encryption soon.  

 @billh Is the issue still apparent? 

 

Cheers

 

RichM

 

Hi Richm,

still apparent, nothing changed that I can see.

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.