New boats need room sealed boilers?

OllyO

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Which is why I said :

But you were wrong. As I said, you have to be competent to do your own work.

Under UK principles of law it is not up to you to prove you are competent, it is up to someone else to prove you weren't competent. If you end up being prosecuted, that is almost certainly because something went drastically wrong, which pretty much by definition means you weren't competent to do the work.

Lets say you installed a house boiler badly and it blew up or the occupants died of CO poisoning a week later. Do you think the court would say "Oh, you have the bit of paper from Gas Safe so clearly it wasn't your fault, carry on". In other words, if it "all blows up in your face" you are going to be in deep doodoo regardless of which bits of paper you do or don't have.

I can't imagine that there have been any or many prosecutions where someone has done their own work and nothing has gone wrong. Prosecutions where nothing has actually gone wrong tend to occur when folk are doing it as a business without the right bits of paper.

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Prosecutions where nothing has actually gone wrong tend to occur when folk are doing it as a business without the right bits of paper.

Actually prosecutions tend to occur when someone is doing it as a business without the right bits of paper and something DOES go wrong. 

Often in circumstances like where a plumber pishes off a customer who then calls GSR and asks them to come and inspect allegedly faulty work. If the installer's registration is not correct the GSR bod inspects to the 'N'th degree looking for real or imagined faults to use for a prosecution. 

"Oh look, there's a screw missing from that flue bracket. DISCONNECT EVERYTHING, dangerous installation by unqualified installer."

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Actually prosecutions tend to occur when someone is doing it as a business without the right bits of paper and something DOES go wrong. 

Often in circumstances like where a plumber pishes off a customer who then calls GSR and asks them to come and inspect allegedly faulty work. If the installer's registration is not correct the GSR bod inspects to the 'N'th degree looking for real or imagined faults to use for a prosecution. 

"Oh look, there's a screw missing from that flue bracket. DISCONNECT EVERYTHING, dangerous installation by unqualified installer."

Ok fair enough but my point is really that if you DIY competently and nothing goes wrong, it seems highly unlikely that you would be prosecuted and thus challenged that you weren’t competent.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh look, there's a screw missing from that flue bracket. DISCONNECT EVERYTHING, dangerous installation by unqualified installer."

As in my situation where an inspector issued an “Unsafe” certificate because the flue was missing a couple of brackets in a space where it was next to impossible to fit one simply because it was his job to find ‘something’

17 minutes ago, WotEver said:

As in my situation where an inspector issued an “Unsafe” certificate because the flue was missing a couple of brackets in a space where it was next to impossible to fit one simply because it was his job to find ‘something’

In the dim and distant past when my brain worked and I had a proper job it was always my policy to leave some work undone prior to an audit that way the auditors had something to put in their report. Auditors were happy as they could write a report with some valid content, management was happy as they had some work to dish out and be seen as being compliant with auditors requirements. 

And thus the world kept on turning.

I take much the same position, where it is safe to, with the BSS.

Edited by reg