Inverter earth

fudd

Featured Posts

Apart from my drive plate giving up on holiday a few weeks ago, my inverter decided to take up smoking. I’ve got a replacement Victron 12-1600 Phoenix compact. It says in the manual that the chassis must be connected to the hull. The old Mastervolt wasn’t. What shall I do please. 

Presumably there is an chassis earth stud on the case, so if you want it earthing, run an earth wire from the stud to you AC system earth which should also be bonded to the hull.

Added - I would use a 6mm2 green/yellow insulated cable.  The iso standard allows an earth of cross sectional area the same as the 'live' supply cable (so probably 2.5mm2 ) but I would use 6mm2 as it is a safety wire and I like physically strong cables, but I do tend to over engineer things.

Edited by Chewbacka

6 hours ago, fudd said:

Apart from my drive plate giving up on holiday a few weeks ago, my inverter decided to take up smoking. I’ve got a replacement Victron 12-1600 Phoenix compact. It says in the manual that the chassis must be connected to the hull. The old Mastervolt wasn’t. What shall I do please. 

Ahh, that old ‘Victron Bonded Case’ chestnut again. 

The chassis is (unsurprisingly) connected to the earth terminal on the output. So assuming that your inverter then feeds your Consumer Unit and that CU has an earth wire going to the hull then the chassis IS connected to the hull. However, if you really feel the need to run another wire then knock yourself out :)

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, WotEver said:

Ahh, that old ‘Victron Bonded Case’ chestnut again. 

The chassis is (unsurprisingly) connected to the earth terminal on the output. So assuming that your inverter then feeds your Consumer Unit and that CU has an earth wire going to the hull then the chassis IS connected to the hull. However, if you really feel the need to run another wire then knock yourself out :)

Ok. Thanks. The inverter came out of a lorry. Might explain it. 

1 hour ago, fudd said:

I’ve fitted the inverter as per the manual. When I switch it on the lights flash and then nothing happens. Any ideas?

Sorry if this is obvious but lorries are often 24v and boats are usually 12v, could this be the problem ??

Edited by Chewbacka

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

Sorry if this is obvious but lorries are often 24v and boats are usually 12v, could this be the problem ??

The OP says it is a Victron 12-1600 Phoenix compact. The 12 in the model number is 12V.

I have had the all three LED's flash, then nothing fault on my Victron unit on two occasions when it has accidentally got damp, through someone ? leaving the hatch open when drizzling, or passing through a tunnel. Both times it has recovered after a day or two, but that is not to say that a more serious and terminal fault might not give the same results.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies