Bosley locks

Gareth E

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There is, I think, but the farmer doesn't allow living on, apart from the odd night here and there, and usually only rents on an annual basis. I'll be down there this week so if I see him I'll ask, or I can pm you his number if you like,which might be quicker. He's a friendly soul.... It's a mile south of Congleton station. 

Cheers I know where your mooring is. I dropped some old lights off at your boat a couple of years ago, you might remember? 

6 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

Cheers I know where your mooring is. I dropped some old lights off at your boat a couple of years ago, you might remember? 

Ah, but I don't think you were Gareth E then! I'm easily confused.  The lights are still working and are appreciated by my wife who likes reading in bed, and not at all by me who doesn't... I'll pm you his details and you can give him a ring.

24 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Ah, but I don't think you were Gareth E then! I'm easily confused.  The lights are still working and are appreciated by my wife who likes reading in bed, and not at all by me who doesn't... I'll pm you his details and you can give him a ring.

You're right, circumstances at the time meant I needed a change of name :))

Latest info 

Macclesfield Canal
Starts At: Lock 1
Ends At: Lock 12

Update on 13/09/2018:

Although some rainfall has occurred over recent weeks, low levels of rainfall have persisted throughout August and are forecasted to continue through the latter part of September, this has impacted on the reservoir holdings which are still extremely low. At least 5 weeks of prolonged rainfall would be required before holdings were to reach a sustainable water level to consider reopening of the Macclesfield Canal. Therefore, it is anticipated that it is unlikely that the Bosley Flight will re-open until at least the end of October, possibly later if we don’t experience any significant and prolonged rainfall over the coming weeks. We have opened up discussions with the Environment Agency regarding temporary abstractions to protecting the canal environment, these abstractions will not be for the purpose of supporting navigation. 

The Bosley flight is padlocked closed and the gates have been ashed up to reduce leakage.  To prevent unauthorised use, measures have been taken to make the locks inoperable. While the closure will prevent use of that stretch of canal by boats the towpath will remain open for visitors and the local community alike to enjoy. 

While we have had the canal closed our teams have been taking advantage of the lock closures to deliver a large programme of works to remedy some of the usability issues on the locks.  Works have included leakage repairs on the gates.  We have also completed gate replacement works at lock 5, wash wall repairs between locks 5 and 6.  Taking the current situation in to consideration we have chosen to bring forward our winter works programme for the following locks, lock 3, lock 5, lock 6. We will now deliver these works during September while the lock flight remains closed.

We will provide a further update on the water situation at the end September, if the water resources have still not improved we will review the opportunity to bring forward the planned winter works at Locks 8 and Lock 12.

This does mean that customers wishing to access or leave Macclesfield canal won’t be able to do so until the stoppage works have been concluded and the reservoir holdings have improved.

14 minutes ago, Bugsworth Tippler said:

What does this mean - apart from boaters don't matter?

No, this is the bit that says stuff the boaters

While the closure will prevent use of that stretch of canal by boats the towpath will remain open for visitors and the local community alike to enjoy. 

1 hour ago, Jamboat said:

We have opened up discussions with the Environment Agency regarding temporary abstractions to protecting the canal environment, these abstractions will not be for the purpose of supporting navigation.

19 minutes ago, Bugsworth Tippler said:

What does this mean - apart from boaters don't matter?

It means that water levels are currently so bad that CRT are having to buy water from the EA to stop the puddling clay drying out, so the canal can reopen after we have had enough rain.

I'd be interested to know how much it's costing, but I assume it will be less than the cost of relining the whole canal if they don't do it.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jamboat said:

We have opened up discussions with the Environment Agency regarding temporary abstractions to protecting the canal environment, these abstractions will not be for the purpose of supporting navigation. 

Just remember C&RT have taken money* from big industry to allow them to extract water from the canals, the potential 'cost' to C&RT for not being able to provide that water could be HUGE compensation claims.

* C&RTs income from such extraction licences, etc is almost the same as their income from boaters.

Cynical - Moi ???????

Edited by Alan de Enfield