is it possible to lower a boats airdraft by heavily ballasting?

Tara1234

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, MartynG said:

On the Fossdyke?

There is the Swan at Torksey which is accessible from the pontoon on the Trent.

The only other half decent pub I know of on the Fossdyke is the Pyewipe but I did have near death experience after eating there 20 odd years ago . I did rustle up the courage to return there  for a meal  a couple of years ago. After the 20 year gap it had not been demolished as I had hoped . However  things had improved.

We will save the Witham pubs until we are very old and perhaps revert to a smaller  boat.

Went into the Pyewipe a couple of years ago - 3 hours after ordering and no sign of any food, we walked out and had a fry-up on the boat.

Is it just me or has the price of cruisers fallen though the floor with offers of 50% of the asking price being the starting point whereas knackered old spingers are being sold for £20k plus. Historically 'gin palaces' were much more than narrow boats but the trend seems to have reversed. Or is there just no market for high powered motor boats any more?

1 minute ago, Mike Adams said:

Is it just me or has the price of cruisers fallen though the floor with offers of 50% of the asking price being the starting point whereas knackered old spingers are being sold for £20k plus. Historically 'gin palaces' were much more than narrow boats but the trend seems to have reversed. Or is there just no market for high powered motor boats any more?

interesting

• Happy 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

I think it must be 'just you'.

I have not bought a boat now for 18 months so have been looking around, looking at Cruisers in the £50k-£100 price bracket, and prices, whilst not having increased, have certainly not dropped at all.

Broker reckons I would get back what I paid for the cruiser. 

Boats we have looked at certainly seem to be in the 'area' of what they would have been a couple of years ago.

Like anything, there are the 'Trabants', the Ford Mondeo, the Mercedes SL and the Rolls Royce.

Many of the GRP boats suitable for canal use are approaching 50 years old (1970s) but 'Sea-Going' boats are either built better, looked after better, or a lot, lot younger.

You need to look beneath the surface to find out which is which

What a broker says you will get and what is achieved in the end seems to be very different - unless the boat is a real bargain at the asking price. For the boat under discussion I would be very suprised if it went for more than £10k. In my dealings with brokers both selling and buying there seems to be a large discount expected on the advertised price for cruisers. Perhaps this only applies to older boats where the cost of renovations is as much as the purchase price. Some boats seem to be advertised for years.

14 hours ago, MartynG said:

On the Fossdyke?

There is the Swan at Torksey which is accessible from the pontoon on the Trent.

The only other half decent pub I know of on the Fossdyke is the Pyewipe but I did have near death experience after eating there 20 odd years ago . I did rustle up the courage to return there  for a meal  a couple of years ago. After the 20 year gap it had not been demolished as I had hoped . However  things had improved.

We will save the Witham pubs until we are very old and perhaps revert to a smaller  boat.

The Swan

The Sun Inn (live music every 1st and 3rd saturday of the month)

The Anglers

Harbour Lights

The Pyewipe

Widow Cullens Well

Royal William

Magna Carta

Rogue Saint

The Mailbox

Witch And Wardrobe

The Snake and Lion

And they are only on the Fossdyke.

I could go on with the Witham but I think you get the idea.

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Went into the Pyewipe a couple of years ago - 3 hours after ordering and no sign of any food, we walked out and had a fry-up on the boat.

Odd.

We have never had a bad meal in there and they have always been very efficient at getting it out to us.

Went in a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday with a group of 14. We had not booked in advance but they did manage to accomodate us and we were all fed within an hour of placing our order. Only down side was there was no roast beef dinners left so we had to order other things. But it was all very nice.

They have refurbished the pub in the last few months and it looks great for it.

13 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

Just you.

Certainly prices at the brokerage at our marina are very keen at the moment and boats which appear to be over priced are selling within days. Some do not make it onto the website as they alreeay have buyers for them.

46 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

What a broker says you will get and what is achieved in the end seems to be very different - unless the boat is a real bargain at the asking price. For the boat under discussion I would be very suprised if it went for more than £10k. In my dealings with brokers both selling and buying there seems to be a large discount expected on the advertised price for cruisers. Perhaps this only applies to older boats where the cost of renovations is as much as the purchase price. Some boats seem to be advertised for years.

Really?

Please let me know where these large discounts can be had.

Certainly not in the markets we are looking in.:blink:

15 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

Is it just me

If you mean specifically old cruisers then no it isn't just you. There seem to be some surprisingly good quality, well specced and decent sized 1970's cruisers around in generally good nick for just a few £K these days. Hardly any more money than utterly knackered old heaps with the outboard missing, and fantastic value for money compared to the £20k Springers popping up everywhere. 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If you mean specifically old cruisers then no it isn't just you. There seem to be some surprisingly good quality, well specced and decent sized 1970's cruisers around in generally good nick for just a few £K these days. Hardly any more money than utterly knackered old heaps with the outboard missing, and fantastic value for money compared to the £20k Springers popping up everywhere. 

I agree (I think what you are saying is) that '50 year old knackered' grp canal cruisers can be picked up at around the £5k mark.

When looking at the younger, 'quality', end of the market there does not appear to be such an abundance of them, and much less pressure on pricing.

At £40-£50k you get a fair choice of post year 2000 quality boats.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I agree (I think what you are saying is) that '50 year old knackered' grp canal cruisers can be picked up at around the £5k mark.

When looking at the younger, 'quality', end of the market there does not appear to be such an abundance of them, and much less pressure on pricing.

At £40-£50k you get a fair choice of post year 2000 quality boats.

I suppose this could be a left over from the past decade of reduced economic activities. 

A lack of first time boat owners to Hoover up the lower end of the market and those with mid market boats hanging onto them rather than trading up as they may have done when economically times were better.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

A lack of first time boat owners to Hoover up the lower end of the market and those with mid market boats hanging onto them rather than trading up as they may have done when economically times were better.

Except that now we are in the middle of economic boom time. 

Boomtime is never recognised as such at the time, only afterwards when the next recession hits.

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Except that now we are in the middle of economic boom time. 

Boomtime is never recognised as such at the time, only afterwards when the next recession hits.

People have a habit of believing the rubbish in the media, which would have you believe that it is still all doom and gloom despite the reality out on the streets pointing to something different.

22 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

Haha that's funny we walked past a little Springer looking very sorry for itself just the other day with a for sale sign in the window - £24,000 crossed out and replaced by - £20,000...  

I think that, unlike the narrowboat market where anything that floats is £25k these days, the grp boat scene does have a fair few lemons that you shouldn't touch with a barge pole. But you can't assume that just because you can have a petrol powered Binliner for peanuts the bottom has dropped out of the market.   I'm currently on the Lanky where grp rules and you'd be surprised at what folk are paying for elderly Freemans and Seamasters.   Personally I've always lusted after a big Sealiner or Princess thinking that one day when prices fall to reasonable levels I'll be able to afford one but every time I look they are always well out of reach.      

10 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

The Swan

The Sun Inn (live music every 1st and 3rd saturday of the month)

The Anglers

Harbour Lights

The Pyewipe

Widow Cullens Well

Royal William

Magna Carta

Rogue Saint

The Mailbox

Witch And Wardrobe

The Snake and Lion

A lot of those are in Lincoln half mile from the water or off Brayford Pool . I would say the Fossdyke ends when it meets Brayford pool .

The witch and wardrobe is definitely on the R.Witham where it flows out of Brayford pool.

I can't comment on the pubs at Saxilby or Harbour Lights but you may have a point there .

12 hours ago, MartynG said:

A lot of those are in Lincoln half mile from the water or off Brayford Pool . I would say the Fossdyke ends when it meets Brayford pool .

The witch and wardrobe is definitely on the R.Witham where it flows out of Brayford pool.

I can't comment on the pubs at Saxilby or Harbour Lights but you may have a point there .

The Magna Carta, Snake and Lion and Widow Cullens are perhaps a half mile from the pool but the others are no more then a three to five minute stroll from the moorings. Hardly a taxing walk for anyone!!

Did you never leave the boat and walk anywhere when you brought it to the ditch!!!!!

14 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Haha that's funny we walked past a little Springer looking very sorry for itself just the other day with a for sale sign in the window - £24,000 crossed out and replaced by - £20,000...  

I think that, unlike the narrowboat market where anything that floats is £25k these days, the grp boat scene does have a fair few lemons that you shouldn't touch with a barge pole. But you can't assume that just because you can have a petrol powered Binliner for peanuts the bottom has dropped out of the market.   I'm currently on the Lanky where grp rules and you'd be surprised at what folk are paying for elderly Freemans and Seamasters.   Personally I've always lusted after a big Sealiner or Princess thinking that one day when prices fall to reasonable levels I'll be able to afford one but every time I look they are always well out of reach.      

We have been amazed at the prices some of the Freemans are fetching on the Broads. They have really rocketed in value in the last few years.

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/freeman-23-17/

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/freeman-23/

That said there are still a few bargains to be had and I know that Tony has a couple of 22's for sale at around the £3k mark.

50 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The Magna Carta, Snake and Lion and Widow Cullens are perhaps a half mile from the pool but the others are no more then a three to five minute stroll from the moorings. Hardly a taxing walk for anyone!!

Did you never leave the boat and walk anywhere when you brought it to the ditch!!!!!

Yes but being picky about it Brayford pool isn't the fossdyke and  the watercourse exiting Brayford is the witham. 

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have been amazed at the prices some of the Freemans are fetching on the Broads. They have really rocketed in value in the last few years.

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/freeman-23-17/

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/freeman-23/

That said there are still a few bargains to be had and I know that Tony has a couple of 22's for sale at around the £3k mark.

There's a very tired example just a few yards away from me at the moment at £11,500.   These boats are definitely holding their value.  I think what's going on here is the transition that we saw way back when the Morris Minor went from being a cheap banger to a cult status vehicle, the same thing happened with the VW van/camper and many others.  I talk to a lot of grp boat owners these days and most folk prefer the earlier incarnations of many marques, I think Freeman is a classic example where they tried to modernise the design but time has not been kind to the revamp - the later boats with all the sharp angles don't seem to have the same appeal.  Must admit though if I was looking at one of these petrol powered boats I would have to stick a little Kubota or something in it, our neighbours here relate a horrific story of when their petrol engined boat caught fire a few years ago.  

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

There's a very tired example just a few yards away from me at the moment at £11,500.  

[...]

our neighbours here relate a horrific story of when their petrol engined boat caught fire a few years ago.  

I now understand your thinking - you are looking at prices at Bridge House Marina!

There is a significant uplift in prices of boats that have a mooring on Bridge House marina itself.   We looked at a Nauticus 27 there quite a few years ago for £15k that was only worth £7k, and have seen this sort of pricing for many of the other boats there.  The bloke selling it was wondering about taking it somewhere else instead of selling it, and I advised him not to - half the value of the boat was because it had a transferable mooring in that marina.

At the time, it was quite a bit cheaper to keep a boat in the marina than it was to keep a caravan on the site, and there were quite a few people who didn't care about boating at all - they just wanted a floating caravan in that location, hence the premium.

This does hugely skew price perception on the Lancaster for classic cruisers, but as you commented sellers are getting offers at under half their asking prices.

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

Yes but being picky about it Brayford pool isn't the fossdyke and  the watercourse exiting Brayford is the witham. 

So how come you don't know any of the pubs?

Be picky all you like but even if we say that they are not on the Fossdyke (which is debatable) then at most they are a ten minute walk away from it. Easily within reach of people who moor their boats and get off them to explore their surroundings.

ETA: The two pubs at Saxilby couldn't really be closer to the water if they tried!!

4 hours ago, Neil2 said:

There's a very tired example just a few yards away from me at the moment at £11,500.   These boats are definitely holding their value.  I think what's going on here is the transition that we saw way back when the Morris Minor went from being a cheap banger to a cult status vehicle, the same thing happened with the VW van/camper and many others.  I talk to a lot of grp boat owners these days and most folk prefer the earlier incarnations of many marques, I think Freeman is a classic example where they tried to modernise the design but time has not been kind to the revamp - the later boats with all the sharp angles don't seem to have the same appeal.  Must admit though if I was looking at one of these petrol powered boats I would have to stick a little Kubota or something in it, our neighbours here relate a horrific story of when their petrol engined boat caught fire a few years ago.  

We witnessed two petrol boats set on fire last year whilst refuelling at Burton Waters. Not a pretty sight and the fuel berth is still not fully fixed.

Edited by Naughty Cal

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I now understand your thinking - you are looking at prices at Bridge House Marina!

There is a significant uplift in prices of boats that have a mooring on Bridge House marina itself.   We looked at a Nauticus 27 there quite a few years ago for £15k that was only worth £7k, and have seen this sort of pricing for many of the other boats there.  The bloke selling it was wondering about taking it somewhere else instead of selling it, and I advised him not to - half the value of the boat was because it had a transferable mooring in that marina.

At the time, it was quite a bit cheaper to keep a boat in the marina than it was to keep a caravan on the site, and there were quite a few people who didn't care about boating at all - they just wanted a floating caravan in that location, hence the premium.

This does hugely skew price perception on the Lancaster for classic cruisers, but as you commented sellers are getting offers at under half their asking prices.

That's a fair point, but I'm not sure it's as big a factor as it was before eg Barton Grange, Tewitfield and the expansion of Garstang marina.  I met a bloke a couple of weeks ago that had just bought a very cheap Nauticus, and not to use as a floating caravan either.  To be honest looking around I'm not sure they are doing that well these days, they have certainly cut down on staff and a lot of the pontoons are very tatty if not downright dangerous.  The standard of grounds maintenance is the worst I have seen on any marina.  

BTW it wasn't me that made the comment about offers under half the asking price.

5 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

: The two pubs at Saxilby couldn't really be closer to the water if they tried!!

The Sun was truly atrocious at one time and was boarded up last time we were there in the boat. Google says  it was re-opened in 2017.

I know Lincoln reasonably  well  ........ but not so much its pubs.

13 hours ago, MartynG said:

The Sun was truly atrocious at one time and was boarded up last time we were there in the boat. Google says  it was re-opened in 2017.

I know Lincoln reasonably  well  ........ but not so much its pubs.

Yes it reopened last year. Unfortunately when it was refurbished they took out the open fires. It used to be a regular winter meeting place for us all sat in front of the fires with a few beers.

They have done a good job with the revamp and when they have bands on the place is heaving. They still have not got food on though which is a shame as neither the Anglers or the Pavillion serve food either so no chance of a pub lunch. Plenty of choice in the village mind with the pizza shop (which does excellent pizza), the chippy, the chinese takeaway and the indian restaurant.

There is a cracking butchers just opened up as well in what was the DIY shop. Proper butchers selling proper meat.