Locked and unavailable threads

nicknorman

Featured Posts

In the “good old days”, when the mods decided to get rid of an entire thread, it disappeared from “view new content”. When they decided to lock a thread to further input, this was indicated on “View new content” by an icon. Both these things meant that one didn’t visit a thread only to find it was either unavailable or locked to further input.

However these days this isn’t the case, witness the two threads called “Victron Invertor” (sic). One was a duplicate and is no longer available - you just get a “You do not have permission to view this content”. The other can be read but it isn’t until you get right to the end that you find it’s locked to further input. Both threads look perfectly “normal” from the VNC list. It is slightly frustrating - though admittedly not the end of the world. Any chance of bringing back the icon that showed a thread’s “locked” attribute, and of fully hiding threads that we are no longer allowed to see?

Seems odd.

You always got 'is no longer available' when trying to view a removed/merged topic, but as you say, it didnt appear on the view-new-content button.

Equally as you say, if the locked padlock icon is no on view-new-content thats also a shame. Do you get it anywhere at the top of the tread, or in the forum menu view?

And this something recent, in the last few weeks, presumably due to the new search tool? Rather than a year or so ago when we moved to the current software version.

Daniel

3 hours ago, DHutch said:

Seems odd.

You always got 'is no longer available' when trying to view a removed/merged topic, but as you say, it didnt appear on the view-new-content button.

Equally as you say, if the locked padlock icon is no on view-new-content thats also a shame. Do you get it anywhere at the top of the tread, or in the forum menu view?

And this something recent, in the last few weeks, presumably due to the new search tool? Rather than a year or so ago when we moved to the current software version.

Daniel

Locked: No I think you only now see it when you scroll right to the last post in the thread. Although of course a clue is that the "quote" and "reply" buttons are no longer there.

You do get the padlock in the forum menu view, but I think most people (including me) tend to consider VNC as the main gateway to topics. Perhaps a tweak is needed to the VNC function?

No I don't think it is a particularly new thing. I have noticed it before. Obviously the number of times one encounters it is fairly rare (I don't go hunting for locked and hidden threads!). Yes could be as long as a year or so ago.

3 hours ago, RichM said:

This only seems to occur for topics that are hidden but in any case it shouldn't be doing it. I think it's possibly a bug in the way the forum software interacts with ElasticSearch. I have reported it to Invision.

Locked too. As above, in VNC there is nothing to suggest that a topic is locked. In Forum view there is. Perhaps this is the issue, the VNC function isn't picking up the locked attribute nor the hidden attribute. I'm confident it predates the change to elasticsearch.

12 hours ago, nicknorman said:

However these days this isn’t the case, witness the two threads called “Victron Invertor” (sic). One was a duplicate and is no longer available - you just get a “You do not have permission to view this content”. The other can be read but it isn’t until you get right to the end that you find it’s locked to further input. Both threads look perfectly “normal” from the VNC list. It is slightly frustrating - though admittedly not the end of the world. Any chance of bringing back the icon that showed a thread’s “locked” attribute, and of fully hiding threads that we are no longer allowed to see?

They weren't duplicate threads. The first one was locked by Athy, which could be seen in VNC Expanded, because his was the last post. The second thread with the same title was a rant by the same OP about the forum, the moderator, the world, the fact that he has a small willy, and no one understands what a Very Important Person he is. That one had two replies before it was "deleted", but still stayed on view. That was the one that gave the error message if you tried to open it.