tycho

Jrtm

Featured Posts

just for those who are intrested saw this on way to bclm.

sad to say it looks like the bow has gone for good as its had a new solid stem post fitted.

looks like mostly a new counter too. not sure how much of Tyco will be left by looks of pics. sorry was waiting for a lock so didn't get much chance to take photos

20180827_131703.jpg

20180827_131655.jpg

Definitely Theophilus!

This is Tycho recently......

(And Sickle, of course, so that accounts for 3 of the 4 Middle Nortwich ice boat conversions - the other one of course being Sextans, which is the only one that is not still 40 foot hull length)

IMG_4797.JPG

1 minute ago, Ray T said:

Unless Tyco has been very badly treated I doubt it is Tyco. The last time I saw her she had gone grey.

Tyco was up for sale a while ago.

Took this piccy of Sickle's bow on Sunday.

IMGP3237.JPG

The way you can confirm it is definitely Theophilus, is the placement of those two riveted plates on the bow that were once part of what supported the ice ram.  Sickle and Theophilus had them in a different position fron Sextans & Tycho, and if you look at the Glascote photo or Ray's you can see it necessitated cutting the top guard short.

On Sextans and Tycho those brackets were set lower, between the two guards, so they didn't need modifying.

This detail has now been completely erased from Sextans.

The stem in the Theophilus picture. is like Sickle's the cut back remains of the ice ram.  On Theophilus more of it was left projecting when the ice ram was removed than was the cae for Sickle or Sextans

There endeth the Middle Northwich ice boat tutorial!

• Greenie 1

"Rescuing?". Well, if languishing and in need of repair or restoration where it had lain in Little Venice for many years and probably without any docking, then it was. The next owner previously had BUFFALO which he kept in Cumberland basin. We had a series of exchanges in email form, which sadly I have lost, quite how I do not know, save that Orange and Thunderbird may have been 'involved'. I wish I could remember his name, but I don't! I do know he had work interests in Switzerland, and knew he had an uphill climb with expenses on restoring THEOPHILUS to her former ice boat condition. Perhaps this has stalled.

It was an ambitious project, and she is now in a similar state to that which SICKLE was some years ago, albeit not so much of a 'flowerpot'. Another rescue is needed.

Edited by Derek R.

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

........and knew he had an uphill climb with expenses on restoring THEOPHILUS to her former ice boat condition. Perhaps this has stalled.

Yes,

I know the owner, and he has in the past communicated with me about plans and progress.

I don't think restoration to "ice boat condition" was ever planned - i.e. no plan to reinstate the ram, or the rocker frame & bar.

The last I heard was a traditional but extended cabin, to give a tug appearance, but I have not heard from him for a while.

He was once an active member on CWDF.

In some ways, a simple back cabin; engine 'ole and extended cabin would probably be the best bet. Even a cruiser stern and Wyvern hire boat style cabin would work, and the hull iteslf with that cut off ram leaving an unusually shaped stem post makes enough distinction from any other boat a talking point, not to mention that wonderful shape underwater. At least she survives in some form.

"Ice boat condition" - that was probably my rendition of a vague memory! I don't think putting a ram back on was either economically or practically feasible. A two inch steel plate replacing the stem post was do-able back in the forties and with good reason. Less so today. I do hope TYCHO keeps hers. I'd love her back, but that won't happen unless the lottery comes good.

Edited by Derek R.

35 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I remember herfrom little venice days 35 ft boat with 10 foot headroom in bow! Massive curve on cabin top. Seemed a shame.

40 foot boat, actually - they are 45 feet with the ram, or 40 feet without it.

Edited by alan_fincher

18 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

40 foot boat, actually - they are 45 feet with the ram, or 40 feet without it.

Does the ram put the boat in a dearer licence (and mooring) category?  If so, there is surely a case for some additional discount from CRT for preserving heritage.

George    

I can confirm that the boat on the bank at Glascote is Theophilus. 

We have had the boat for around 3 years now and have been working on and off on the boat as schedules and owners funds allow. As you can appreciate the owner does not have bottomless pockets and we have other projects that are keeping us busy.

Works already completed include a new 'V' bottom, plates let into hull sides, a new counter and curved uxterplates, internal and external shot blasting works. So although she may look a little sad for herself at the moment, the hull is in excellent order. 

The owner has purchased the cabin that was removed from Ladybank, which he has measured against that of Tycho (which was moored here at Glascote a year or so ago) and has found the dimensions to be remarkably similar. It is the intention to fit this cabin with a small extension and cover the hold with a tug deck.

I hope that answers a few of the questions raised.

Sarah

Edited by sarahavfc
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Does the ram put the boat in a dearer licence (and mooring) category?  If so, there is surely a case for some additional discount from CRT for preserving heritage.

George    

Yes, I believe you pay for the 5 foot of ram.

40 feet is 12.2 metres, washer 45 feet is 13.7 metres, so it actually pushes it up by 2 bands.

Non discounted cost for 40 feet is £797.68, for 45 feet it is £873.29, so about £76 more.

Of course you should be able to get the 10% historic boat discount taken off of these full list prices.

4 minutes ago, sarahavfc said:

Sarah

It certainly answers the question about what the mystery cabin was I saw parked near to Theophilus.

Thank you Sarah!

1 hour ago, sarahavfc said:

(snipped)

Works already completed include a new 'V' bottom, plates let into hull sides, a new counter and curved uxterplates, internal and external shot blasting works. So although she may look a little sad for herself at the moment, the hull is in excellent order. 

The owner has purchased the cabin that was removed from Ladybank, which he has measured against that of Tycho (which was moored here at Glascote a year or so ago) and has found the dimensions to be remarkably similar. It is the intention to fit this cabin with a small extension and cover the hold with a tug deck.

Sarah

Thanks Sarah, that's good news.

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

It was 1980s measured by view and all info hidden under Pete harrisons carpet, rather than available on internet. In those days history was  what people told you ..

Ah but it was also in the Wyvern Shipping Company hire boat brochure, where it is 40 feet. 

These were 6 berth hire boats - you don't get many 40 foot hire boats with 6 berths these days!

EDIT:

You have to love the quoted 2' 2" draught!

By way of explanation Wyvern's "Hesperus" was actually GUCCCo "Sextans", and definitely not GUCCCo "Hesperus"!

Hesperus & Theophilus.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher
added info

3 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

In those days history was  what people told you ..

History is still what people tell you, it is just the medium of conversation that has changed. What is always important about that conversation, whether literal or digital, is where the details were sourced from prior to them being passed on :captain:

• Greenie 1