I Pads and Android (In)compatibility

Stilllearning

Featured Posts

Apple are (in)famous for supporting one way and one way only - their way. It doesn't matter what the standard says, Apple support Apple and nothing else. Android on the other hand expect you to do a certain amount of "browsing" the file structure which Apple see as 'wrong'. You should be looking for photo's in one place and one place only, the photo store (which they helpfully won't tell you where it is because you should know - all Apple devices do)

So an Android device see's an empty directory with no way of navigating.

Follow the crowd (I did, eventually, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth) and mail the photo.

I long since completed my divorce from Apple products but I seem to recall that Apple's take on Bluetooth is that it's virtually a proprietary version meaning that you can only transfer files to another Apple device and vice versa, or is my memory faulty?

I think they manage to open them up for things like audio.

16 minutes ago, MJG said:

I long since completed my divorce from Apple products but I seem to recall that Apple's take on Bluetooth is that it's virtually a proprietary version meaning that you can only transfer files to another Apple device and vice versa, or is my memory faulty?

I think they manage to open them up for things like audio.

I can get my iPad to link to my hiding receiver by Bluetooth, but not much else.

we have several thousand digital pictures from the last eighteen years, all carefully sorted on our main pc by year/month/event or subject.  If I sync this to the iPad it can only cope with one level of directory at best. Ass a result, pictures are almost randomly displayed, based on how Apple think they should be displayed. A pain (although android is not much better)!

No you can't do what you're wanting to - without getting into Jailbreaking and / or sideloading the iPad

Best bet would be to use a service like google photo which is multiplatform (and unlimited space)

In addition google photo is very clever, if I keyword search my account for "elephant" it will bring up the 3 pictures of elephants from a zoo visit earlier this year. 

Edited by sirweste

18 hours ago, dor said:

I've had problems with Apple's connectivity (or lack of it).  I often just finish up emailing myself with the file attached and picking up the email on the other device.

Ditto; and thats between Apple devices. It probably don't help that one of them is an elderly iPad running the older 32 bit iOS.

you could also use Dropbox (www.dropbox.com) to store all sorts of files and access from any device that has the app/program.

don't be conned into paying though, the free Basic package is all you need.

and if you feel generous use this link and we both get 500mb extra storage free, I won't be offended if you don't though :D 

18 hours ago, dor said:

I can get my iPad to link to my hiding receiver by Bluetooth, but not much else.

we have several thousand digital pictures from the last eighteen years, all carefully sorted on our main pc by year/month/event or subject.  If I sync this to the iPad it can only cope with one level of directory at best. Ass a result, pictures are almost randomly displayed, based on how Apple think they should be displayed. A pain (although android is not much better)!

Had a similar (ish) problem in that when I user the auto loader in Flickr it would upload the photo albums but place them all in one place so that I have to recreate the directory structure in Collections which annoyingly do not show on mobile devices.

I had however discovered the Amazon photo drive which allows unlimited cloud storage of photos as part of the Amazon Prime package. This drive automatically uploads all my photos in the original directory structure and is viewable on all devices. For me it is worth paying for Amazon prime just for this!

Edited by Tim Lewis

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

I had however discovered the Amazon photo drive which allows unlimited cloud storage of photos as part of the Amazon Prime package. This drive automatically uploads all my photos in the original directory structure and is viewable on all devices.

Oohhh.. I’ll check that out. Sounds like it might be a better bet than Flickr (although I’ll still keep Flickr for redundancy). 

22 hours ago, dor said:

As I wouldn't touch anything apple with a barge pole with a large lump of doggy doo on the end I cannot answer the OP's question. But Mr dor what I can tell you is that sooner or later your "main pc with several thousand pictures on it" will pack up so I sincerely hope you have those "several thousand pictures" backed up somewhere else.

1 minute ago, pete.i said:

As I wouldn't touch anything apple with a barge pole with a large lump of doggy doo on the end I cannot answer the OP's question. But Mr dor what I can tell you is that sooner or later your "main pc with several thousand pictures on it" will pack up so I sincerely hope you have those "several thousand pictures" backed up somewhere else.

Thanks for your concern Pete.  My pictures ( and all my other user files) are in at least four different places by 2:30 AM every day (and six at least once a week).  Having been responsible for a company's IT and all its account data, I have always been meticulous about backups.  Not just doing them, but verifying the backup data as well.  I'll still find it remarkable how often you hear "my hard drive packed up and I've lost all my pictures".

13 minutes ago, dor said:

Thanks for your concern Pete.  My pictures ( and all my other user files) are in at least four different places by 2:30 AM every day (and six at least once a week).  Having been responsible for a company's IT and all its account data, I have always been meticulous about backups.  Not just doing them, but verifying the backup data as well.  I'll still find it remarkable how often you hear "my hard drive packed up and I've lost all my pictures".

Or that they have lost their not-backed up phone which contains all their pictures!

Edited by Tim Lewis

I usually (rightly or wrongly) trust Google. If you use Google Photos then you have pretty much unlimited storage space. Your photos will appear on any device (or in a browser) with the  Google Photos app. Plus, you can't lose a photo as you can set your device to auto upload photos to Google Photos and, again, it'll appear on all your devices.

For files, I use Google Drive. Again, cloud-based and will appear on anything with the Drive app. Drive also uses Google Docs/Spreadsheet for office stuff.

All free.  :)

43 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

I usually (rightly or wrongly) trust Google. If you use Google Photos then you have pretty much unlimited storage space. Your photos will appear on any device (or in a browser) with the  Google Photos app. Plus, you can't lose a photo as you can set your device to auto upload photos to Google Photos and, again, it'll appear on all your devices.

For files, I use Google Drive. Again, cloud-based and will appear on anything with the Drive app. Drive also uses Google Docs/Spreadsheet for office stuff.

All free.  :)

This is what I do now. Plus I have files backed up to an external hard drive at home. 

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Apple is slowly changing, they now have USB connection, and the 2019 I-Pad & I-Phones coming out will no longer uses the 'lightening' plug and has moved over to the Android USB-C connection

Is that fact?

13 minutes ago, MJG said:

This is what I do now. Plus I have files backed up to an external hard drive at home. 

Is that fact?

There are a large number of commentators discussing it :

Here is one (www.Forbes.com)

Apple Loop: New iPhone Design Confirmed, Goodbye Lightning Port, Apple Faces Awkward iPhone Problems

Goodbye Lightning, Hello USB-C?

Apple continues to use the proprietary lightning connector on its iOS-powered devices, but that could be set to change. According to a number of suppliers, Cupertino is looking to move the iPhone and iPad lines over to USB-C, just as it has with the MacBook family of laptopsWhy would Apple make the switch?

…I suspect Apple no longer sees major revenue in wired cables and accessories by design. This began in 2016 when Apple removed the 3.5mm headphone jack and drove wireless headphone adoption with AirPods. 2017 took the next step with the introduction of wireless charging (Apple ‘AirPower’ fast wireless charging is coming at some point).

Now 2018 will take this a step further as new iPhones will come with wired fast charging cables in the box so revenues from third-party fast charging cables will dry up. Meanwhile, music docks have long been replaced by audio streaming over Bluetooth and AirPlay.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Somewhat ironic really, given they pioneered the 'doesn't matter which way around it is' connectivity by wire.

But surely the next move would be to remove the need for wired connections all together?

Wireless charging is here as is wireless streaming, file exchange etc etc.

Makes sense for them to switch to usb-c has all the benefits of the lighting socket.  They only really did the lightning socket because I think the usb-c standard took so long.

its the magnetic power cable that I would miss.

Edited by Robbo