wey and arun canal

frances doherty

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, frances doherty said:

That's good to know.... I'll have to figure out where we can put our boat into the water once it's done. It'll be coming up from Shoreham 

Considering the restricted area you are looking at, it may be worth while ensuring / booking / putting a deposit on a mooring before the boat is 'done'.

I know its not in your planned area but the waiting list for moorings in some areas is excessive (Cambridge is 10 years for a narrowboat and just over 20 years for a widebeam and the council have now actually closed the waiting list)

It would be a little inconvenient to roll up and say "we'd like a mooring please" to be told "come back next year".

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Is it a cruiser or narrow Boat? Can't think of anywhere with a crane for a narrow boat on the Wey. TLC have a crane (for surveys, blacking etc.) but I don't think you can get a truck near to it to get a boat lifted into the water. Might be easier to get a narrow boat craned in on the Thames.

If a cruiser would be easier. Pyrford Marina has a slipway. I think there is a public slipway at Stoke Lock. Not sure what new Cartbridge Basin has.

The Pyrford slipway is quite shallow, but the Cartbridge slipway is newly built and a good depth.

TLC do have space to crane in a boat from a lorry, ask them for max length/weight. 

Are you aware that Farncombe is on a river section and can be in flood and inaccessible for several weeks at a time?

2 hours ago, Mike on the Wey said:

The Pyrford slipway is quite shallow, but the Cartbridge slipway is newly built and a good depth.

TLC do have space to crane in a boat from a lorry, ask them for max length/weight. 

Are you aware that Farncombe is on a river section and can be in flood and inaccessible for several weeks at a time?

And at the virtual end of Nav so you have to trundle 20 miles every time you want to escape the Wey. Nice though it is!

Thank you for the useful info! Yes... I realise we'll always have to navigate that section... But we live in Brighton and can get there easily on the train in winter to keep an eye on it. .. Plus it looks like we can winter moor there reasonably. We are going to volunteer with the restoration group working on that canal so would like to feel part of it. 

This group is great for info (though the jokes are a little cheesy haha?!)   By the way... TLC? 

Edited by frances doherty

29 minutes ago, frances doherty said:

Thank you for the useful info! Yes... I realise we'll always have to navigate that section... But we live in Brighton and can get there easily on the train in winter to keep an eye on it. .. Plus it looks like we can winter moor there reasonably. We are going to volunteer with the restoration group working on that canal so would like to feel part of it. 

This group is great for info (though the jokes are a little cheesy haha?!)   By the way... TLC? 

You mention winter mooring ... are you aware that the National Trust require sight of an annual mooring agreement before an annual navigation licence can be issued? A visitor licence won't be appropriate for you.

• Greenie 1

Ok.. Well I'll arrange what I need to do come the time. Got to finish building it first! As to volunteering.... It's all still part of the only network this part of the SE has so that's where we want to offer our time. Long project though it undoubtedly is :)

Edited by frances doherty