wey and arun canal

frances doherty

Featured Posts

52 minutes ago, frances doherty said:

Hi there.....we're building a boat and will be mooring each winter down on the wey and arun. Is there a map of this bit of the canal? It doesn't seem to be in the GU, Oxford and SE one that I"ve ordered.  Ta!  Frances

The Wey and Arun Canal is in the process of being restored by volunteers from the Wey and Arun Canal Trust.

https://weyarun.org.uk

At present there are some unconnected lengths in water. Probably won't be fully open for decades yet.

Edited by cuthound
To change Weymouth back to what I wrote, Wey

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

The Weymouth and Arun Canal is in the process of being restored by volunteers from the Wey and Arun Canal Trust.

https://weyarun.org.uk

At present there are some unconnected lengths in water. Probably won't be fully open for decades yet.

And the Wey and Arun Canal won't ever go anywhere near Weymouth!

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And the Wey and Arun Canal won't ever go anywhere near Weymouth!

Bluddy spillchucker interfering again.  I'll edit it. 

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Doesn't the Wey come from linking to the Wey Navigation at Guildford...?

Yes, the junction is close the the M25 bridge over the River Wey Navigation.

11 minutes ago, frances doherty said:

Yes... But it's open from Godalming up to the Thames... And that's the bit I want a map for. 

So you need a map of the Wey navigation and the Godalming navigation. Both in the care of the National Trust. I understand mooring on there are like hen's teeth apart from Pryford Marina and Farncombe Boathouse.

Put River Wey map in Google and take your pick but many include the Basingstoke Canal that is again anothe5 navigation authority with separate license, much like eh Wey.

1 hour ago, frances doherty said:

Hi there.....we're building a boat and will be mooring each winter down on the wey and arun. Is there a map of this bit of the canal? It doesn't seem to be in the GU, Oxford and SE one that I"ve ordered.  Ta!  Frances

You will likely moor at Gunsmouth , where the Wey Navigation meets the Wey and Arun Canal.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Bluddy spillchucker interfering again.  I'll edit it. 

Yes, the junction is close the the M25 bridge over the River Wey Navigation.

I think you will find that it is the Basingstoke Canal that joins the River Wey by the M25 crossing!

1 minute ago, Tim Lewis said:

I think you will find that it is the Basingstoke Canal that joins the River Wey by the M25 crossing!

Yes, you are right, it's been almost 5 years since we moved to the Midlands and my memory was playing tricks. ?

2 hours ago, frances doherty said:

The latest Nicholsons  Guide (No 7) covers the Wey & Goldalming navigations and Wey & Arun Canal

You'd think that - as owners of the navigation - the National Trust would have a map on their site - but I couldn't see one. Perhaps they don't really want boaters.... 

Chris Cove-Smith covers t in some detail and copies of his book - The "River Thames Book" are often on sale via Amazon - £12 is the current best price but it does cover the Thames if you want to go slumming.....

If you just want to have a look a Farncombe, then take the A281 out of Guildford and turn right at the Parrott.