When and where are the angling matches?

MtB

Featured Posts

Much as anglers seem to dislike boats passing through their swims, I dislike unexpectedly encountering an angling match and finding I have to cruise through two miles of anglers resenting my passage.

So, is there a site which publishes when and where all angling matches are scheduled for? I'd use it to avoid making a PITA of myself when possible if there were one. 

If there isn't, is there any way of finding out when matches are planned for any given waterway? 

If there isn't a such a site, maybe any serious anglers reading here might like to propose to their controlling body starting one. It might reduce stress on both sides if it became popular. 

I'm sure plenty of boaters would like to see when and where the matches are.

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Much as anglers seem to dislike boats passing through their swims, I dislike unexpectedly encountering an angling match and finding I have to cruise through two miles of anglers resenting my passage.

So, is there a site which publishes when and where all angling matches are scheduled for? I'd use it to avoid making a PITA of myself when possible if there were one. 

If there isn't, is there any way of finding out when matches are planned for any given waterway? 

CRT have their own Fishing Support management team. They are very successful at arranging events to co-incide with the boating high season.  They do not necessarily communicate with the boating or cycling teams but are always the first to any major water loss event to rescue the fish....sometimes vefore the stoppage notice is issued.

So Waterscape - or whatever it is called this week is your first port of call. 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/matches-and-competitions/angling-match-results

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/matches-and-competitions/angling-match-results/forthcoming-angling-events

Edited by matty40s

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is it? Why?

All the matches I can find listed are in the past. Fat lot of good that is! Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Ah, then I can see how actually reading the links properly might are a difference! :D  Still think they should be listed along with navigation restrictions though - shouldn't be difficult. 

looking more into that Junior and youth competition led me to the webpage of the Izaak Walton (Stafford) Anglers Association which has listings for 2014 ?

their facebook page however gave me;

Iwaa match calendar for the Autumn / Winter :
Sept 30th Autumn league Staffs & Worc canal Boat Club area. 
Oct 6th proposed pairs practice open Trent & Mersey canal Hoo Mill / Fruit farm. 
Oct 7th proposed pairs practice open Staffs & Worc canal at Stafford. 
Oct 14th Autumn league Little Onn. 
Oct 20th pairs final Staffs & Worc / Trent & Mersey canal Hoo Mill / Great Haywood. 
Oct 21st Junior championship Little Onn. 
Nov 11th Autumn league Little Onn. 
Your cooperation will be appreciated. 
Match secretary Alan Round.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Ah, then I can see how actually reading the links properly might are a difference! :D  Still think they should be listed along with navigation restrictions though - shouldn't be difficult. 

After getting particularly pissed off a couple of years ago I wrote to Damien asking why/suggesting that fishing matches should emailed out to boaters in the same way as many other 'events' are. He promised to pass it on the angling team but what happened after that. Nothing I guess. We get told about all sorts of charity events, duck races, dragon racing, paddle boarders, etc. Why not fishing matches. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes good point, as they ARE navigation restrictions. Also, they are mooring restrictions. One cannot stop. 

22 minutes ago, pearley said:

After getting particularly pissed off a couple of years ago I wrote to Damien asking why/suggesting that fishing matches should emailed out to boaters in the same way as many other 'events' are.

First class idea.

19 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes good point, as they ARE navigation restrictions.  Also, they are mooring restrictions. One cannot stop. 

Agree for informal moorings - but you can still stop at any designated mooring location.  (Although you might not be popular!)

C&RT Standard Angling Agreement says:

4. Obligations of the Licensees

The Licensees hereby jointly and severally agree with the Trust that they will:

4.6 Not actively obstruct or impede:

4.6.1 navigation on the Waterway;

4.6.2 the mooring of craft at locations signed by the Trust as being for the purpose of mooring;

4.6.3 the passage of other legitimate users along the towing path on the Permitted Length;

If they peg out a signed mooring spot they only have themselves to blame if someone wants to stop there in the middle of a match.

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

Agree for informal moorings - but you can still stop at any designated mooring location.  (Although you might not be popular!)

C&RT Standard Angling Agreement says:

If they peg out a signed mooring spot they only have themselves to blame if someone wants to stop there in the middle of a match.

Moored at Stone 2 weeks ago above the top lock and they pegged the gaps between the moored boats. 

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

By the letter of the agreement,  perhaps. Not really conducive to good relations between two user groups with the most interest in the canal itself and who really should be allies though, eh? There has to be a better way than "that'll teach the bar stewards", surely?  

Agreed - that's why I said "You might not be popular"!  And I wouldn't do it unless for some reason I had no choice.

But until someone points out that they really shouldn't peg designated mooring areas, either by complaint to C&RT or actually mooring on them when they are pegged, anglers will continue to do it.