Marina/Mooring Review forum - good idea?

RichM

Would you like to see a Mooring & Marina review forum?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Mooring & Marina review forum?

• Yes, I think it's a good idea
    • No
    • Don't care
    • Abstain

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/09/18 at 13:39

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Stand by for letters from solicitors acting on behalf of marinas who get bad comments. ISTR this is what happened with Pillings Lock

Fair point. We do get these from time to time and review them on a case by case basis. 

I have also added a poll.

Cheers

58 minutes ago, RichM said:

I was thinking it might be a good idea to add a review forum to enable members to add reviews for Marinas/Moorings. What are your thoughts?

I don't think it will work realy. One mans meat is another mans poison. Trip advisor springs to mind which is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard having checked places out and finding them to be directly opposite to postings. 

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

I don't think it will work realy. One mans meat is another mans poison. Trip advisor springs to mind which is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard having checked places out and finding them to be directly opposite to postings. 

It might be that the places in question reacted to the reviews/comments which may explain why your experience was different to those posted.

I'm also looking at it from a search engine point of view. People no doubt search for information in relation to prospective moorings & marinas. Such content could lead them here, increasing page views and new member registrations etc etc. 

14 minutes ago, RichM said:

It might be that the places in question reacted to the reviews/comments which may explain why your experience was different to those posted.

It's very unlikely that a business will respond on an open forum

As anyone who has looked at an appliance review on say the Currys site know, reviews are very subjective.  I don't take a lot of notice of Currys customer reviews and for this reason I don't think a marina review site will be much help.  Some people think Pillings Lock is wonderful, not a view shared by all!

I voted no, reasons, as above, also the reputation of marina can hang round for years even when the management as was, has left.

I have read many comments about a marina on the GU which a farmer owned once which are purely based on hearsay.

Edited by Ray T

Marina "XYZ" Reviews :

Reviewer 1 : Super little marina, nice and quiet just what we wanted. Miles from anywhere.

Reviewer 2 : In the middle of nowhere, moorings squashed in, its like a council housing estate - miles to the nearest facilities. Not recommended.

Reviewer 3 : Its Ok, could do with better showers & toilets - can you believe there is no bus service !!!!!. Better off stopping on the tow-path.

Reviewer 4 : Its got all we need, empty the elsan, top up the water tank, a couple of nights electric, didn't really need to leave the boat.

Vote NO.

What would be of more use would be a directory of marinas / moorings showing contact details, facilities and costs (this is done annually for 'lumpy-water' marinas by region around the coast).

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 4

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What would be of more use would be a directory of marinas / moorings showing contact details, facilities and costs (this is done annually for 'lumpy-water' marinas by region around the coast).

It would, although it could be a nightmare to maintain. How are the coastal directories maintained?

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

No - I'm not really interested in somebody else's subjective opinion as they may well not be seeking the same set of features I am. 

Thanks for all the comments. 

Personally, subjectiveness doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. Equally, people will read an article/post/comment/whatever and make a judgement on whether it holds any relevance to them. For example, I am deaf in one ear and as such wouldn't care so much if a marina was said to be noisy. Though for Mrs Miggins who has difficulty sleeping at night, it could be a big deal and a reason for her to perhaps look for a different marina. 

Forums are commonly used for expressing opinions, subjective or otherwise. Sure, sometimes people may present opinions as fact but that seems to be the case regardless of what the forum is about and it's not just limited to forums.

53 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Marina "XYZ" Reviews :

Reviewer 1 : Super little marina, nice and quiet just what we wanted. Miles from anywhere.

Reviewer 2 : In the middle of nowhere, moorings squashed in, its like a council housing estate - miles to the nearest facilities. Not recommended.

Reviewer 3 : Its Ok, could do with better showers & toilets - can you believe there is no bus service !!!!!. Better off stopping on the tow-path.

Reviewer 4 : Its got all we need, empty the elsan, top up the water tank, a couple of nights electric, didn't really need to leave the boat.

Vote NO.

Nice idea with the directory but the truth is Google can get that information to you much quicker than we could. 

3 hours ago, RichM said:

I'm also looking at it from a search engine point of view. People no doubt search for information in relation to prospective moorings & marinas. Such content could lead them here, increasing page views and new member registrations etc etc. 

I don't think business reacts to anything posted. I certainly didn't, in fact I didn't even respond to trip advisor posts as they are a joke like Twitter. Mine at my last place were  mostly excellent or very good with a couple of average but nothing below that. Since I moved on they have had a couple of terribles and other not so good reports and I know they are doing a good job. Any burk can right anything on such forums even if they have never been.

I think whilst it would be interesting and useful to get other people's views it will probably end up being mostly negative comments. In a recent thread a negative view was given of a marina but my experience was the opposite of the comments made.

Just now, Rob-M said:

I think whilst it would be interesting and useful to get other people's views it will probably end up being mostly negative comments. In a recent thread a negative view was given of a marina but my experience was the opposite of the comments made.

Possibly though it could be prevented by setting out certain rules/criteria, being constructive could be one of those. Invision allows for rules to be prominently displayed at the top of forums that we specify. If those are ignored then there's other ways to keep it under control, e.g. pre-approval. Maybe it wouldn't even need to come to that.

In recent years Google has made changes which decrease the number of search indexes for discussion forums, so it would be great if we can find ways to counter that by promoting new but also very relevant content. 

2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I agree with Rob. In that thread he mentions, one particular poster (a new one, but perhaps an old one with a new sign in) posted numerous times saying how bad a particular marina was. The tone of the whole thread was tarnished by those posts. A 3rd party reading it would have felt it was a place not to go to as some of the assertions must be true. I don't think  any of the other posters felt that way any I would refute all the points the guy with the chip on his shoulder had. They were simply not true. 

I like Alan's idea of a marina data base. Not sure google works that way.

4 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I think it would be useful to have some form of marina list that shows facilities available such as launderette, clubhouse, etc. If this could be filtered by canal that would be handy.

I agree with this but also feel that as many before me have pointed out, a review system is too subjective to be of much use.  That said as a newbie I would be interested to know what's around and maybe what to avoid.  When I'm in that position I'll probably just put out a message on the forum which is flexible enough to add a bit of detail (e.g. looking for a quiet spot a couple of miles from shops), and invite public or PM feedback.

I therefore abstained in the vote.

1 minute ago, Halsey said:

No different to trip advisor type feedback

And Tripadvisor can afford a legal department. I'm serious about this, the forum has been sent legal stuff in the past because of what has been posted here, and it all ends up with the forum owner - Dan

Richard

25 minutes ago, RLWP said:

And Tripadvisor can afford a legal department. I'm serious about this, the forum has been sent legal stuff in the past because of what has been posted here, and it all ends up with the forum owner - Dan

Richard

Happy to defer to those who are better informed ..........

• Greenie 1