Cointra water heater - should I get one?

Rivelin

Featured Posts

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cointra-COB11DB-Upright-Boiler-White/dp/B00LQEPUM2/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_79_tr_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BG1QFDD2CPRAQR6GP2R9

Could I install one of these?

It's for a non live-aboard narrowboat with propane already installed.

It gets good reviews, is very small and has battery powered ignition.

Thanks in advance!

Most people with gas water heaters have the Morco D61 B or E for around the same price. I've never heard of Cointra but they look similar. I just replaced a Valiant with a Morco and when I mentioned to the chap in the technical dept at Morco that they looked the same, he admitted that they were both made in the same factory in Spain. So perhaps those Cointra heaters are made there too. 

6 hours ago, nickhindle said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cointra-COB11DB-Upright-Boiler-White/dp/B00LQEPUM2/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_79_tr_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BG1QFDD2CPRAQR6GP2R9

Could I install one of these?

It's for a non live-aboard narrowboat with propane already installed.

It gets good reviews, is very small and has battery powered ignition.

Thanks in advance!

Now the Morco really is discontinued, this water heater looks set to be the one to fit. 

There is no ‘body of experience’ with them however, and I’ve never even seen one. They may turn out to have a major drawback once a few thousand are i general use so beware, if you buy one you ARE being a guinea pig. Please report back. Spare parts availability is unknown (to me at least) and this will be important as those fitted begin to fail with use and age. 

My advice would be go for what we know works, and buy a Morco. Either trawl the chandlers to find one or buy one second hand.  

I have one and it works well, came with a flue adapter and mounting  stand off bracket as a direct replacement. Ignition is via battery so does not waste gas. I was replacing a very old valiant and had to redo pipes as coonections were opposite. Purchased from a mobile home supplier in south wales, they also list spares. Popular in mobile homes I think.

Much more compact than a morco if the bracket is not used.

Edited by adrianh

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Got a reference for that? Great news if true! 

http://morcoproducts.co.uk/home.html

Water Heater Update

Morco have developed a range of water heaters to replace the G11E, D61B and D61E water heaters.

The D61B and D61E will be replaced with a single model called the Morco Innovita Primo 6. The G11E will be replaced with the Morco Innovita Primo 11.

We expect both models will be available for delivery from early October 2018.

For further information including prices, please contact the Sales Office.

Edit to add:

And the 11 kW one probably won't look anything like the Innovito Primo 11 :

http://www.innovita.it/prodotti/scaldabagni-camera-aperta/primo-11-c-14-c

Edited by TheBiscuits

42 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks for that. 

A brief google throws up an English page about this unit. Looks like a very close equivalent for the D61.

http://www.innovita-export.com/water-heaters/domestic-gas-water-heater-open/primo-6i-6ic-primo-1i-11ic-primo-14i-14ic

Looks fine, as long as the importers can legally sell a CE approved appliance after Match next year, of course.

MP.

2 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Looks fine, as long as the importers can legally sell a CE approved appliance after Match next year, of course.

MP.

Morco's comment about them 'developing' this as a new model suggests to me that Morco themselves will be importing the tin box then re-badging, documenting  and certifying it as a Morco branded product. 

13 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

MP.

"CE" (China Export) items are not uncommon, the font is very, very slightly different to the "CE" (Conformite Europeene) but the differences are not readily noticed unless you have both side-by-side

Image result for ce china export mark

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

"CE" (China Export) items are not uncommon, the font is very, very slightly different to the "CE" (Conformite Europeene) but the differences are not readily noticed unless you have both side-by-side

Image result for ce china export mark

Its made in Spain, not China.

• 1 year later...
On 08/09/2018 at 23:00, blackrose said:

Most people with gas water heaters have the Morco D61 B or E for around the same price. I've never heard of Cointra but they look similar. I just replaced a Valiant with a Morco and when I mentioned to the chap in the technical dept at Morco that they looked the same, he admitted that they were both made in the same factory in Spain. So perhaps those Cointra heaters are made there too. 

The new Morco is not made in the same factory as Cointra. Morco were offered the boiler but chose a different manufacturer