Self-duplicating threads

Featured Posts

A couple of threads ('Putting in a shower '  and 'New to Boating'  ) seem to have duplicated themselves recently. (at least in 'View new content')  There may be more.  The posts and contributors are identical (so far).  I reported the latter, with no response or result.  The same moderator is a participant in both, so perhaps they may like to take a look at what is happening?

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

3 minutes ago, RichM said:

Have you made any changes to your activity streams (VNC) recently? I am not seeing it using my stream, (link below) which is based on the default settings.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/discover/260/

I see this occasionally too, but just assumed the last post in the thread was 2 simultaneous ones.  They disappear after the next post and go back to one thread, so the threads are not duplicated, just their appearance in the View New Content filter.

Can you change resolution for last post to use timestamp finer than the minutes or seconds it is currently set to?

17 hours ago, RichM said:

Have you made any changes to your activity streams (VNC) recently? I am not seeing it using my stream, (link below) which is based on the default settings.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/discover/260/

Hi Rich.  I clicked on your link, and it still gave duplicate 'Are You New to Boating'  threads.  Couldn't find the other.  I've not made any changes, and it seems others are seeing it as well.  No big deal - it's only one or two threads, and only in VNC.

1 minute ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Hi Rich.  I clicked on your link, and it still gave duplicate 'Are You New to Boating'  threads.  Couldn't find the other.  I've not made any changes, and it seems others are seeing it as well.  No big deal - it's only one or two threads, and only in VNC.

I see, the two that I saw were both posted by different members and both in the last hour. It transpires this is by design of ElasticSearch as a way of showing actively live topics in the past hour. I'm wondering if this is what others saw? Or were they identical duplicates with no other differences?

10 minutes ago, RichM said:

I see, the two that I saw were both posted by different members and both in the last hour. It transpires this is by design of ElasticSearch as a way of showing actively live topics in the past hour. I'm wondering if this is what others saw? Or were they identical duplicates with no other differences?

The ones I have 'opened' are indentical in content but have a different last poster shown.

However if there are two 'threads' and Fred is shown as the last poster on one, and Harry as the last poster on the other - open the 'Fred' thread and the last poster is 'harry'

Go back to the 'new posts list' and the 'harry' thread has disappeared.

Its almost as if the forum has 'stalled' and re-covered a short time later and does not integrate the threads until someone else opens them,

2 hours ago, RichM said:

It transpires this is by design of ElasticSearch as a way of showing actively live topics in the past hour.

Oh great. Another undocumented 'improvement' sprung on us without warning or explanation. 

What is ElasticSearch please?

43 minutes ago, RichM said:

Ok thanks, I withdraw my acerbic comment about it being sprung on us without notice!

I still don't understand what it is though, having read your links. Even the technical link seems to actually explain very little, or nothing.

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok thanks, I withdraw my acerbic comment about it being sprung on us without notice!

I still don't understand what it is though, having read your links. Even the technical link seems to actually explain very little, or nothing.

In essence it is a search engine/database that we choose to run on a separate server. The software that drives the search engine is optimised for handling large amounts of data and thus gives faster and more relevant search results. The same system also powers VNC.

Edited by RichM

2 minutes ago, RichM said:

In essence it is a search engine/database that we choose to run on a separate server. The software that drives the search engine is optimised for handling large amounts of data and thus gives faster and more relevant search results. The same system also powers VNC given that VNC is merely a script to query (search) the database and output results.

OK thanks! That explains it perfectly at my level of understanding of computing affairs.