What size spanner for injector pipes?

rustyhook

Featured Posts

I can't see why you need one but I seem to remember 5/8 AF but wait for that to be confirmed.

If you need to really "wrench" the unions up to stop leaks then its  new pipes you want, not fancy spanners, I have always managed with ordinary open ended ones by mid range makers like Elora etc.

Hi, thanks for a speedy reply. I'm having my head gasket done as it keeps over heating. But the injector pipes have rusted on to the injectors. I've tried using a open ended spanner, but it just seems to be taking the corners off. I was going to cut a gap in a ring spanner but I thought I would just buy the right on from ebay.

12 hours ago, rustyhook said:

Hi, thanks for a speedy reply. I'm having my head gasket done as it keeps over heating. But the injector pipes have rusted on to the injectors. I've tried using a open ended spanner, but it just seems to be taking the corners off. I was going to cut a gap in a ring spanner but I thought I would just buy the right on from ebay.

Can you not remove the injector pipe at the pump end & slide a ring spanner up to the injector unions if the injector ends are rusted  enough to be unable to remove with an open ended spanner I don't think a flare nut spanner will work any better

12 hours ago, rustyhook said:

I hope it is a leaking head gasket that is causing your overheating . I have a BMC 1.5 diesel in my boat and was having problems with it overheating . It wasn't the head gasket it was the skin cooling tank that was too small for use on rivers. 

13 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I can't see why you need one but I seem to remember 5/8 AF but wait for that to be confirmed.

If you need to really "wrench" the unions up to stop leaks then its  new pipes you want, not fancy spanners, I have always managed with ordinary open ended ones by mid range makers like Elora etc.

Yes, I can confirm that the union is 5/8 AF. I have on hanging in the engine compartment in case of emergency.

Frank 

Though obviously the best way is to use the proper flare nut spanner, but having specific tools for just one job isnt for everyone.

A note for anyone reading this looking at ways of avoiding additional tools. I use my adjustable wrench pliers for this and many other jobs like this which work grand

2 hours ago, sirweste said:

Though obviously the best way is to use the proper flare nut spanner, but having specific tools for just one job isnt for everyone.

A note for anyone reading this looking at ways of avoiding additional tools. I use my adjustable wrench pliers for this and many other jobs like this which work grand

I have used a small set of stilsons PROPERLY ADJUSTED on the odd occasion for this type of job. Gland nut/water pump or pipe pliers will tend to force themselves open the harder you turn where as stilsons just grip tighter.