Putting in a shower

frahkn

Featured Posts

I intend to remove the full size bath in my boat and replace it with a shower.

I will be a bit pushed for space and am considering a ready-made "cabinet" type shower. One of the quadrant style ones. I have found a supplier of cabinets which are only 170 cm high, which would be fine for me.

Can anyone suggest reasons why this would give me problems which I haven't anticipated?

27 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I intend to remove the full size bath in my boat and replace it with a shower.

I will be a bit pushed for space and am considering a ready-made "cabinet" type shower. One of the quadrant style ones. I have found a supplier of cabinets which are only 170 cm high, which would be fine for me.

Can anyone suggest reasons why this would give me problems which I haven't anticipated?

Does the 1.7m height include the shower tray?  Also the roof slopes down, so if the shower is off set from the centre line it may get a bit tight, especially if used with a deep tray.

Just now, Chewbacka said:

Does the 1.7m height include the shower tray?  Also the roof slopes down, so if the shower is off set from the centre line it may get a bit tight, especially if used with a deep tray.

Thanks.

The tray is not included but the height (at the edge) is 178.5 cm so I hope to manage with a slim line tray. Pumping may be an issue though.

6 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Thanks.

The tray is not included but the height (at the edge) is 178.5 cm so I hope to manage with a slim line tray. Pumping may be an issue though.

I took my drain pipe through the floor and back up again to the pump.  It helps if the pipe is longer between the shower and pump than between the pump and outlet, also keep the pump to outlet reasonably short, that way it will minimise waste water draining back into the tray.

We had that problems when we built - I hate claustrophobic shower cubicles where you bang into the cold and wet sides / curtains.

My solution was to fit a plastic short  bath with a a long curtain above.

It solved the claustrophobia bit, the Management is happy as she can wash her hair over the bath and the camping twin tub (no power drain) fits into the bath when required.

Sorted! - for us, but then we regard boating as comfortable camping rather than downsized living....

So that's probably a No....

6 hours ago, frahkn said:

Thanks.

Pumping is an issue in any boat surely?

Ours had a slim line tray but the usual solution of a whale gulper emptied it no problem.

17 minutes ago, MJG said:

Pumping is an issue in any boat surely?

Ours had a slim line tray but the usual solution of a whale gulper emptied it no problem.

That's good to know Martin, my current pump does not like dry running.

5 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

I’m trying to imagine how the fitting will be a bit tight if a full size bath has been removed. Surely a shower has a smaller footprint than a bath?

Well it would be nice if you could just take my word.

As you can't, I will say that the bathroom must be shortened to allow the creation of an engine room - that's why the bath has to go.

I give you my word that there is a non-cosmetic reason why the engine must be moved (at a cost of £8000+) but if you can't believe me, send me a PM and I will explain.

37 minutes ago, NB Lola said:

It was fitted for us but here is a picture

B9E99AF8-554C-4A64-ADC5-9EC437CEC049.jpeg

I don't think the picture is of a "cabinet" shower (i.e. a self contained cubicle) but correct me if I'm wrong.

I would prefer a cabinet rather than deal with the awkward "bit under the gunwal,  if you see what I mean.

7 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I don't think the picture is of a "cabinet" shower (i.e. a self contained cubicle) but correct me if I'm wrong.

I would prefer a cabinet rather than deal with the awkward "bit under the gunwal,  if you see what I mean.

The Dog House had(s) a cabinet shower but I often used to try and work out how they got the thing into the boat when it was built. I always just assumed it was installed first and the bathroom was constructed around it. Due to its size this must have been the only way, and I reckon it must have had to come through the front cabin doors too. Will you have the space to do this?

1 minute ago, MJG said:

The Dog House had(s) a cabinet shower but I often used to try and work out how they got the thing into the boat when it was built. I always just assumed it was installed first and the bathroom was constructed around it. Due to its size this must have been the only way, and I reckon it must have had to come through the front cabin doors too. Will you have the space to do this?

Oh dog poo! I hadn't thought of that!

But surely they can be put together on site, they are not shipped already made up, are they?

I have one at home but like you, it was here before me.

20 minutes ago, frahkn said:

As you can't, I will say that the bathroom must be shortened to allow the creation of an engine room - that's why the bath has to go.

I give you my word that there is a non-cosmetic reason why the engine must be moved (at a cost of £8000+) but if you can't believe me, send me a PM and I will explain.

Ouch!

Care to share generally?  I will quite happily accept your word it needs to be done, but can't think of any possible reasons for it off the top of my head.

Have you considered a shorter bath for simplicity?  We have a 4 foot one that lets you sit but not sprawl in it.  It was on the boat when we bought it, and there is a low roof and plenty of tumblehome so there is nowhere sensible to put a shower enclosure on our boat.  We moved it but reinstalled it as a least-worst solution.

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Ouch!

Care to share generally?  I will quite happily accept your word it needs to be done, but can't think of any possible reasons for it off the top of my head.

Have you considered a shorter bath for simplicity?  We have a 4 foot one that lets you sit but not sprawl in it.  It was on the boat when we bought it, and there is a low roof and plenty of tumblehome so there is nowhere sensible to put a shower enclosure on our boat.  We moved it but reinstalled it as a least-worst solution.

Sorry, a bit irritable tonight, spent too long talking to something called (completely incorrectly) a "help desk" about my on-line banking account.

Tomorrow I'll explain all.

Don't get your hopes up, it's not as exciting as the cost implies! 

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Oh dog poo! I hadn't thought of that!

But surely they can be put together on site, they are not shipped already made up, are they?

I have one at home but like you, it was here before me.

Not sure TBH it will obviously depend on size, and the diameter in particular. Ours looked 'complete' apart perhaps from the top, the tray and the sliding door, even with them bits removed access would be improved only marginally. That's why a standard quadrant shower might be a better option for retro fitting to a boat.

39 minutes ago, frahkn said:

No, that photo is of two walls covered in something waterproof and a "normal" quadrant base & doors.

Can't tell if it's vinyl or melamine laminated plywood from the photo, but both do the same job at different luxury and price levels.

7 minutes ago, MJG said:

Not sure TBH it will obviously depend on size, and the diameter in particular. Ours looked 'complete' apart perhaps from the top, the tray and the sliding door, even with them bits removed access would be improved only marginally. That's why a standard quadrant shower might be a better option for retro fitting to a boat.

Thanks, I've e-mailed the manufacturer to clarify this.

Edited by frahkn

8 hours ago, frahkn said:

I did take your word for it, all I was wondering was why, when removing a bath that is possibly 5’6 long, it was difficult to fit in a shower that was probably about 3’ square.

Call centres can be annoying, can’t they.

• Haha 1