diy gas refilling

rasputin

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not many people camping / hiking up the Pennine Way, Snowdon or the Cairngorms or other 'cold' regions would consider carrying a 907 Cylinder.

True

My interest in the subject is  I use 907's on the boat because the gas locker is made for them.

£35 for the last 907 refill.

The cylinders for both butane and propane are identical, the only difference being the valve fitted to it. The regulator is the only safety critical component involved. 

The reason that you see other colours of paint underneath is down to increased demand for a particular type, with propane selling faster through the winter than patio gas and butane for barbeque use.

32 minutes ago, MartynG said:

True

My interest in the subject is  I use 907's on the boat because the gas locker is made for them.

£35 for the last 907 refill.

Our Cat, being French manufacture has gas lockers designed for the Gaz cylinders.

The 907 is 2.75kg of gas, and, as you say £30+ per cylinder.

We have found that the Calor Propane 3.9kg cylinder fits into the locker and at a cost of £16 (ish) is half the price for almost 50% more gas.

Try one - it may fit in your gas locker.

Edit to add :

The Calor 3.9kg cylinder is 340mm High x 240mm diameter

The Gaz 907 cylinder is 250mm High x 202mm diameter

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Our Cat, being French manufacture has gas lockers designed for the Gaz cylinders.

The 907 is 2.75kg of gas, and, as you say £30+ per cylinder.

We have found that the Calor Propane 3.9kg cylinder fits into the locker and at a cost of £16 (ish) is half the price for almost 50% more gas.

Try one - it may fit in your gas locker.

Edit to add :

The Calor 3.9kg cylinder is 340mm High x 240mm diameter

The Gaz 907 cylinder is 250mm High x 202mm diameter

A gas powered moggy, and French too, interesting.

On 07/09/2018 at 21:44, Loddon said:

You could gets these cylinders and refill from autogas stations

http://www.safefill.co.uk

This

The "safe" way, is to have the correct fittings and have the device which ensures no greater than an 80% fill is done on the bottle, the Safefill bottle has that. You save by filling it up at an LPG station, but the capital cost of the bottle (with its safety stuff and connector(s)) needs to be factored in. I imagine anyone offering a smaller bottle could, but doesn't, because of the economics of the situation. 

All the same, many (probably most) petrol stations won't let you put LPG into anything except a vehicle (their regulations state it needs to have an automatic device to ensure its not overfilled, but pragmatically the attendants would probably not let you do a camping gas bottle, even a Safefill one, without an argument). You might be lucky and have one of the few garages which are okay on refills near you, or be able to persuade a local garage its okay and then you can do repeated refills etc.

(Accurate) weighing of the bottle isn't automatic so it can't be done at the petrol station.

Additionally, I'd shudder at refilling any container designed for single use, not sure what the little camping gas ones are? Are we talking about refillables, or single use cans?

On 09/09/2018 at 08:14, Paul C said:

This

The "safe" way, is to have the correct fittings and have the device which ensures no greater than an 80% fill is done on the bottle, the Safefill bottle has that. You save by filling it up at an LPG station, but the capital cost of the bottle (with its safety stuff and connector(s)) needs to be factored in. I imagine anyone offering a smaller bottle could, but doesn't, because of the economics of the situation. 

All the same, many (probably most) petrol stations won't let you put LPG into anything except a vehicle (their regulations state it needs to have an automatic device to ensure its not overfilled, but pragmatically the attendants would probably not let you do a camping gas bottle, even a Safefill one, without an argument). You might be lucky and have one of the few garages which are okay on refills near you, or be able to persuade a local garage its okay and then you can do repeated refills etc.

(Accurate) weighing of the bottle isn't automatic so it can't be done at the petrol station.

Additionally, I'd shudder at refilling any container designed for single use, not sure what the little camping gas ones are? Are we talking about refillables, or single use cans?

Morrison's will (or rather should) now let you fill a Safefill bottle without quibble.

http://www.safefill.co.uk/safefill-refilling-partners-morrisons.html

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 20:29, rasputin said:

lol

Yes I know the risks

lots of people do it

lots of people have potentially explosive bombs on their boats motorhomes homes etc.

anybody with useful advice?

pm me if you dont want the wrath of the right ons on here

Yes, useful advice:

Feel free to be a risk taker as much as you want, just so long as you take risks with your own life, not with the lives of others

• Greenie 1