diy gas refilling

rasputin

Featured Posts

And there we all were squabbling about how a CO alarm may or may not protect other boaters, while people are planning on putting their neighbouring boaters at risk doing things like this several orders of magnitude more dangerous than going without a CO monitor.

Three options strike me really ……...

1 - Don't ever, ever, ever do it, especially if I'm nearby.  I may get caught in the fall out or feel obliged to help an obvious idiot survive with some of his body uncooked.

2 - Make sure you're near civilisation and road access so the emergency services can get to you and all the other boats easily and quickly. 

3 - Make sure you're nowhere near civilisation or road access so you don't hurt or damage others and their boats, but  emergency services can't get to you easily or quickly. 

36 minutes ago, rasputin said:

from a big bottle to a small bottle.

is there a kit available.

yes, I know, I'm a risk taker

I know enough about LPG to not try this. You however, are an intelligent bloke and also know it is fraught with risk, so I conclude you just started this thread as a trolling exercise. 

Crack on!

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I know enough about LPG to not try this. You however, are an intelligent bloke and also know it is fraught with risk, so I conclude you just started this thread as a trolling exercise. 

Crack on!

Why thankyou, I have often had that "intelligent" tag thrown at me, But I'm also mad as a box of frogs. The fact that I have reached the age of 52 has amazed many people.

I would like to collect the facts so I can make my own assessment of the risks, what is wrong with that? I don't think it's trolling.

lets talk about the risks and the process 

1 minute ago, rasputin said:

Why thankyou, I have often had that "intelligent" tag thrown at me, But I'm also mad as a box of frogs. The fact that I have reached the age of 52 has amazed many people.

I would like to collect the facts so I can make my own assessment of the risks, what is wrong with that? I don't think it's trolling.

lets talk about the risks and the process 

In that case I suggest you enrol yourself one of those six week training courses on gas. This is a good way to get yourself acquainted with the risks. 

55 minutes ago, rasputin said:

from a big bottle to a small bottle.

is there a kit available.

yes, I know, I'm a risk taker

Yes there is a range of adapters available.

Ensure you don't try putting propane into a butane cylinder - they go "bang" (pressure related)

Use very accurate scales to ensure you only put in 90% of the gas weight specified on the cylinder / cartridge.

It is not uncommon in the world of walking & camping to de-cant from either 13kg cylinders, or 'larger' sized cartridges (say 500g) to refill the small 100g and 230g cartridges.

A 13kg cylinder costs around £25, a 100g cartridge costs around £4, you can see the cost saving for a regular user. (about £500 saving)

I am not going into further detail - there is enough 'stuff' on the internet to allow you to make an informed decision.

in reality it is passing liquid propane or butane  from a high pressure bottle to a low pressure bottle through a tube, 

it is unwise to use a rubber tube so i suppose it has to be copper and we need some switches

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ensure you don't try putting propane into a butane cylinder - they go "bang" (pressure related)

Use very accurate scales to ensure you only put in 90% of the gas weight specified on the cylinder / cartridge.

It is not uncommon in the world of walking & camping to de-cant from either 13kg cylinders, or 'larger' sized cartridges (say 500g) to refill the small 100g and 230g cartridges.

A 13kg cylinder costs around £25, a 100g cartridge costs around £4, you can see the cost saving for a regular user. (about £500 saving)

I am not going into further detail - there is enough 'stuff' on the internet to allow you to make an informed decision.

I wasn't expecting that reply from you, thankyou, its a start

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well I exist in this world, I know scores of mountaineers, backpackers, campers etc. and I've never heard of anyone doing this.     

2 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Well I exist in this world, I know scores of mountaineers, backpackers, campers etc. and I've never heard of anyone doing this.     

And I know many who do this.

Maybe your 'end of the market' is more affluent, or more risk averse ?

There are 100s of web-sites, pages and articles on the 'interweb' detailing how to do it AND listing the risks involved, and how to minimise them.

I have a cooker that runs off bottle pressure gas, (I think) and there are all sorts of crazy systems on caravans that carry the gas at bottle pressure through a pipe to a remote regulator.

the price of gas in camping gas bottles seems to have gone though the roof, so much , that I have to do something, maybe find a way to install a calor bottle.

I seem to remember gaz being a butane / propane mix which means that you would be dealing with pressures higher than the usual calor / lpg pressure of around 120 - 150psi (depending on temperature).

I have worked with filling lpg cylinders (not calor, our were either stainless at £2000 each or titanium at around £5000 each) and doing it involved a high pressure pump and venting gas in vapour form from the tank being filled with liquid, obviously this is incredibly dangerous (we used to reckon on losing around 100 litres in vapour during a refuel) and should only be done in a very tightly controlled environment

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

I thought camping gas was butane i.e. In a blue bottle. Please don't try and put propane in a blue bottle. Propane and butane are two totally different materials.

I too have heard about certain LPG products rumoured to be propane and butane mixed (automotive LPG, and 'patio' gas). Is this technically not possible then Dr Bobski? Or inadvisable and improbable?

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I thought camping gas was butane i.e. In a blue bottle. Please don't try and put propane in a blue bottle. Propane and butane are two totally different materials.

Most modern camping gas is a '80/20 or 70/30 mix to allow cold weather usage.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/coleman-performance-gas-c300-p366834

A (70/30) butane/propane gas mixture in a threaded self-sealing cartridge, compatible with all Coleman resealable appliances.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I too have heard about certain LPG products rumoured to be propane and butane mixed (automotive LPG, and 'patio' gas). Is this technically not possible then Dr Bobski? Or inadvisable and improbable?

I think he was warning about putting the gas in the wrong bottle.  Mixed propane/butane is very common - you will probably have some for your soldering torch.

• Greenie 1