Welcome to Nuneaton

Rob-M

Featured Posts

Came through Nuneaton today, surprised at the lack of rubbish in the canal compared to previous trips through. However, in the first bridge hole we were met with a strong smell of cannabis several boat lengths away from the group of teenagers puffing away under the bridge, near the halfway point there was a group of four, probably in their early 20's, shooting up on the tow path as kids walked past on their way home from school and in the last bridge hole there was a rat running around.

So the general impression of Nuneaton hasn't changed, we will still keep on boating and not stop.

38 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Came through Nuneaton today, surprised at the lack of rubbish in the canal compared to previous trips through. However, in the first bridge hole we were met with a strong smell of cannabis several boat lengths away from the group of teenagers puffing away under the bridge, near the halfway point there was a group of four, probably in their early 20's, shooting up on the tow path as kids walked past on their way home from school and in the last bridge hole there was a rat running around.

So the general impression of Nuneaton hasn't changed, we will still keep on boating and not stop.

Ah a bit of culture. :D

Not just Nuneaton, some of The Coventry Canal south of Sutton's is thus blessed

Edited by Ray T

I too came through Nuneaton today (heading north), but didn't see anything similar. Did spot 2 shopping trolleys in the canal & the remains of 2 more on the towpath (removed by magnet fishers?) by bridge 18a.

I've overnighted in Nuneaton before without problems (near Boot bridge). It's not a scenic place but there are a lot worse.

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

It's not that bad. We got through twice last August without getting anything wrapped around the prop. Wouldn't want to park there but why would you when you can moor next to the Anchor pub a few miles north.

Directly opposite that industrial outflow waterfall that makes you want to pee all night. It's not as if the pub's anything special.

9 minutes ago, Mike55 said:

Directly opposite that industrial outflow waterfall that makes you want to pee all night. It's not as if the pub's anything special.

No, park a few hundred yards south of there. Much quieter. We found the food in the pub really good and the beer very drinkable both times we went in.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

No, park a few hundred yards south of there. Much quieter. We found the food in the pub really good and the beer very drinkable both times we went in.

I thought they were ok but they can be a bit ambivalent about dogs. The pub (sorry, I  can't remember the name) near Boot wharf is good and very welcoming to dogs.

16 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Maybe but I don't think it was that.  Over the bridge and to the right, up the hill?

You mean The Horseshoes further away. The Boot Inn was a real boaters pub, sad that it is now closed. The Horseshoes being next door to the Maternity Hospital must do busy trade with new fathers needing dutch courage.

Edited by nbfiresprite

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

What do you find wrong with Blackburn?  

Not much. I've just listened to Sounds of the Sixties and he still does a good job of presenting it, though his jokes haven't improved since I used to listen to him on pirate radio and then on Radio 1.

Have I got the right Blackburn?

12 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Came through Nuneaton today, surprised at the lack of rubbish in the canal compared to previous trips through.

On two occasions last autumn/winter we saw work parties (community service?) clearing the towpaths, and spotted several piles of old rusty bike, safes, etc., that had been fished out of the canal, and waiting for collection. Each time we saw the working parties we gave friendly smiles, shouted a bit of a quip, and gave words of encouragement, and a 'thank you'. You could tell by the lad's faces in work party they appreciated the thanks (we all need a little 'thank you' at times).

These work parties look to have made such a difference. Despite it being dirty (patches of yucky oil in water) there're loads of ducks. We've seen miles of lovely clean water this year (Nene, MLs) without a single duck.

• Happy 2

13 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

On two occasions last autumn/winter we saw work parties (community service?) clearing the towpaths, and spotted several piles of old rusty bike, safes, etc., that had been fished out of the canal, and waiting for collection. Each time we saw the working parties we gave friendly smiles, shouted a bit of a quip, and gave words of encouragement, and a 'thank you'. You could tell by the lad's faces in work party they appreciated the thanks (we all need a little 'thank you' at times).

These work parties look to have made such a difference. Despite it being dirty (patches of yucky oil in water) there're loads of ducks. We've seen miles of lovely clean water this year (Nene, MLs) without a single duck.

The area was greatly improved in terms of rubbish in the cut, it was more the open drug use as school children and mothers with toddlers walked along.

5 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The area was greatly improved in terms of rubbish in the cut, it was more the open drug use as school children and mothers with toddlers walked along.

Generally we’ve seen a lot more open cannabis use in the past couple of years. I guess it stems from the police not really being interested in cannabis for personal use. And in the great scheme of things, how much worse is smoking cannabis in front of school children vs smoking tobacco? I’d discount toddlers, are they likely to understand what is being done?

Shooting up is of course a bit different, not seen that this year but did see it last year on Farmers Bridge.

I can understand your getting the needle about that, but I don't think that illegal activities should be seen to be normal and acceptable. For example, if impressionable children see someone stealing property from boats (or anywhere else) they may perceive that theft is O.K.

The only reason cannabis is illegal in the uk is because legislators are in the main in their 50s and 60s and grew up with it illegal . My experience in mental health is that most under 25 don't event recognise it's illegality. Given 10 years it will become legal rather than just tolerated. My main concern is its ability to turn the emerging brain into mush.

• Greenie 2

We came through Nuneaton a few weeks ago and saw drug dealing under one of the bridges. We also saw a man kick a large dog so hard it howled. Unfortunately, this was at considerable distance across a park. I didn't report it as I couldn't have provided an accurate description of the dog or the man, or where he went.