Welcome to Nuneaton

Rob-M

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

We thought we'd be hanging around the area for a while, John's cousin died last weekend, and we're waiting to hear about the funeral arrangements which will be in Coventry. To be fair, we've never felt uncomfortable in this area before, and the towpaths are brilliant, which is why it's a great place to be in the winter.

I’ve seen many boats moored where you describe, often for the full 14 days, so I doubt the nutter is a regular visitor.  Unless he’s new of course. 

Nuneaton and rugby have always had a fair share of the deranged. In rugby’s case because they get off the train having left london for a ‘new start’ 

in nuneatons case - well have you been there?  In the 90s my opposite number in nuneaton had 3-4 times more ‘clients than me in rugby. We covered each others holidays

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

I’ve seen many boats moored where you describe, often for the full 14 days, so I doubt the nutter is a regular visitor.  Unless he’s new of course. 

That's one of our favourite places, we were there New Year's Eve watching about a dozen firework displays at midnight. We will return, he's not scared us off, but for my benefit we've moved on to Springwood, with the best WiFi on the network (IMO ?)

springwood.jpg

Edited by Jennifer McM

3 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

That's one of our favourite places, we were there New Year's Eve watching about a dozen firework displays at midnight. We will return, he's not scared us off, but for my benefit we've moved on to Springwood, with the best WiFi on the network (IMO ?)

springwood.jpg

That screen means absolutely nothing to me... i know im a ludite but doesnt everyone just tether off thei phone?

57 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

That screen means absolutely nothing to me... i know im a ludite but doesnt everyone just tether off thei phone?

The speed has to be there from a local antennae..... but don't take that as gospel ? I've been known to grasp the wrong end of the stick.

We've got a couple of dongles that gives us wifi, incl bluetooth

Edited by Jennifer McM

21 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

The speed has to be there from a local antennae..... but don't take that as gospel ? I've been known to grasp the wrong end of the stick.

We've got a couple of dongles that gives us wifi, incl bluetooth

Dont grasp either end of the antenna or even the middle. Contact with your skin will change the resonance freq of the antenna so the signals (in and out) will not be as strong.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, b0atman said:

there was a report on FB about police helicopter circling and noise like gun shot last night near Springwood Haven Hartshill area

I've been in, and opposite, Springwood Haven for the past 2 weeks (hull blacking etc etc). Someone told me last week that he heard gunshots from the woods opposite the marina (I was opposite at the time), but I must have slept through it ?.

Haven't heard the the strange man yet, but maybe he heard me snoring.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Err are you telling me you get internet not from your phone? And the speed and ? Provider change

Not sure what you mean re 'Provider change'?

We've got EE dongles (our phone is also EE). I posted this pic elsewhere...

ee.jpg

Edited by Jennifer McM

4 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

The One Show had some voxpop stuff from Nuneaton last night. I know you can edit footage to cast a town in pretty much whatever light fits your narrative... but what an absolute bunch of thick morons they came across as. 

Similar opinions of the One Show presenters have been voiced before.

Edited by Athy

24 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Not sure what you mean re 'Provider change'?

We've got EE dongles (our phone is also EE). I posted this pic elsewhere...

ee.jpg

Watch out leaving dongles in windows. I managed to kill one leaving it in a south facing window while the boat was moored up on the hottest day of 2017. It never worked again.

Jen

48 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Watch out leaving dongles in windows. I managed to kill one leaving it in a south facing window while the boat was moored up on the hottest day of 2017. It never worked again.

Jen

Yes, and have got a dead one in the cupboard (tho' why it's been given boat room I've no idea ?) to prove what you say. They do get very hot - the hot sun messes up the glue on the velcro tabs too . EE replaced it FOC (typed in a whisper!) ?

1 hour ago, Proper Charlie said:

The One Show had some voxpop stuff from Nuneaton last night. I know you can edit footage to cast a town in pretty much whatever light fits your narrative... 

Some years back BBC Birmingham ran a series about people doing unusual jobs. One such chap was a self-certified ‘Private Detective’. He was in his late teens and practiced his craft by trawling through telephone directories and electoral rolls to find ‘missing’ people. Fancied himself as a bit of a Philip Marlowe. He even wore a Fedora. The director and I edited his interview to highlight what a dick he was. The series producer didn’t like that edit, asking why feature him at all if he was such an idiot. So we re-edited, using exactly the same interview, to show what a master of his craft he truly was. 

Vox-pops are even easier. You can demonstrate anything you want them to by selective editing and avoidance of any interviewee of the ‘wrong’ type. 

43 minutes ago, WotEver said:

You can demonstrate anything you want them to by selective editing and avoidance of any interviewee of the ‘wrong’ type. 

Clearly demonstrated by both sides of Brexit (bias) coverage (whoops... perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned the 'B' word?)

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Your point exactly.

Whilst I appreciate your joke, it’s not actually the done thing to change a sentence. You can however take a sentence out of context to make it appear that the speaker meant something he/she didn’t. Or omit a caveat added after a contentious statement. Or only use the part that preceded “however, being serious...”

Alright alright. I know im old and have been living either in rural australia for the last 15 years or on my extremely basic 1930s boat ( when we left tv was analogue) and the one we stored no longer works but

vox pop?

one show?

ee dongle?

vblogger?

blogger?

its a whole new world i thought having an iphone made me pretty up to date

4 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Alright alright. I know im old and have been living either in rural australia for the last 15 years or on my extremely basic 1930s boat ( when we left tv was analogue) and the one we stored no longer works but

vox pop?

one show?

ee dongle?

vblogger?

blogger?

its a whole new world i thought having an iphone made me pretty up to date

"Vox pop" is a fairly well-established term for interviews, on radio or TV, with members of the public.

The One Show is a magazine programme shown on BBC One each weekday evening. It has been going for several years (I would guess ten years but the internet will tell you more exactly).

A dongle sounds like a crude term for a portion of the male anatomy, but apparently it isn't. It is something to do with computers, and thus a mystery.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

"Vox pop" is a fairly well-established term for interviews, on radio or TV, with members of the public.

The One Show is a magazine programme shown on BBC One each weekday evening. It has been going for several years (I would guess ten years but the internet will tell you more exactly).

A dongle sounds like a crude term for a portion of the male anatomy, but apparently it isn't. It is something to do with computers, and thus a mystery.

A dongle is something you plug into your computer which allows it to connect to the internet via a slightly more advanced version of Morse code.

Does that help?

• Haha 1