Welcome to Nuneaton

Rob-M

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

What evidence do you have for that assertion?

CRT should be playing the long game rent for the next few hundred years is better than a quick cash injection ,CRT are the caretakers of a national heritage 

21 minutes ago, b0atman said:

CRT should be playing the long game rent for the next few hundred years is better than a quick cash injection ,CRT are the caretakers of a national heritage 

In 2018 can you tell me of ANY fair sized business that thinks in the long term. It seems that 5 years is considered 'long term'

Came down the Coventry a couple of weeks ago dragging on the bottom much of the way, The stretch from the Ashby was particularly bad although the level didn't seem to be down

Edited by Slim

1 hour ago, Slim said:

In 2018 can you tell me of ANY fair sized business that thinks in the long term. It seems that 5 years is considered 'long term'

Came down the Coventry a couple of weeks ago dragging on the bottom much of the way, The stretch from the Ashby was particularly bad although the level didn't seem to be down

The Coventry was allegedly dredged at the start of the year - desperately needed doing last year. Spot dredging only took place and Alrewas school bridge wasnt one of those spots.

The GU Weedon pound was allegedly dredged this Summer, again, spot dredging took place between Weedon and Whilton  - by a bunch of complete amateur contractors who damaged lots of Rothen dredging kit and then abandoned it for Rothen to move it all back to get removed.

We had to stop at Boot wharf a good few years ago as we needed a new clarrie( sure you know what I mean) due to a leak.They were absolutely brilliant.We had to stop there for 2 nights while we waited for new Clarrie to be delivered & had no probs at all -even though I wouldn't have usually chosen to stop there.Only bummer was ambulance noise from the George Elliot hospital. It was when TJHughes was closing down & I got loads of excellent bargains.

19 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

We had to stop at Boot wharf a good few years ago as we needed a new clarrie( sure you know what I mean) due to a leak.They were absolutely brilliant.We had to stop there for 2 nights while we waited for new Clarrie to be delivered & had no probs at all -even though I wouldn't have usually chosen to stop there.Only bummer was ambulance noise from the George Elliot hospital. It was when TJHughes was closing down & I got loads of excellent bargains.

First time I stopped there was when my throttle jammed and I couldn't slow down (I could go, and I could stop, but not much in between). The engineer was one of the largest in circumference that I have ever seen and how on earth he got into the engine space, and then out again, I have no idea, but the whole problem was sorted with cheerfulness and good temper.  Seriously nice people. 

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

The Coventry was allegedly dredged at the start of the year - desperately needed doing last year. Spot dredging only took place and Alrewas school bridge wasnt one of those spots.

I think you mean Hopwas? Last time I looked, Alrewas was on the T&M.

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, b0atman said:

That is your assertion about the reason for the sale, not evidence about the reasons given - I thought from something Nigel M posted a good while back that CaRT had to make a case to the relevant MInister to obtain his/her consent. In which case there would be a document trail of the case being made.

I'm posting this here cos we're now moored just outside Nuneaton, and probably 'talking' to boaters here who know this area well. This part of CRT's system is the most familiar to us, having spent most of the dark winter months bobbing around between Hawkesbury, Atherstone Top Lock, and the Ashby for the past couple of winters. 

Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with a man who appears to be not quite 'right'? (No, not the nice friendly and helpful guy who sets gates for boaters on the Atherstone flight).

Our dog (German Shep) woke us up barking about 3.30 this morning (coincidentally another disturbed night ??). We got up and could hear a man shouting from quite far away, but he was coming towards us. We hadn't got a clue what he was shouting about, either he was seriously drunk, high as a kite on something, or deranged. He'd been shouting for a while cos his voice was hoarse and gravelly. He stopped by our boat, and appeared to be goading our dog. He walked up and down the outside of our boat, either muttering or attempting to sing, trying to make as much noise as he could. We managed to stop our dog from barking, as the barking was making the guy worse, he was clearly teasing our dog. This pantomime lasted about 5 minutes but felt like 10. It looked the best course of action was to lie low and not confront him.

I managed to get a feint glimpse of him in the dark through a chink in the curtains, and did see he had a dog with him which was about the size of a boxer. The guy appears not to have touched our boat or anything.... thank goodness.

The 'funny' man eventually left, going in the direction of a boat that's moored a couple hundred yards away. We kept listening just in case there was a problem at the next boat, and it looked the boaters kept a low profile too. We're hoping the guy's now home, and is sleeping it (whatever it is) off.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Whereabouts was this?

Gypsy Lane bridge, Hawkesbury side

31 minutes ago, b0atman said:

there was a report on FB about police helicopter circling and noise like gun shot last night near Springwood Haven Hartshill area

Flaming heck, was thinking of going there today ?

32 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Gypsy Lane bridge, Hawkesbury side

Less than a mile from my house. Didn’t hear any sirens or anything so hopefully just a lone drunk. 

Saw your boat when I went over the bridge yesterday evening :)

1 hour ago, b0atman said:

there was a report on FB about police helicopter circling and noise like gun shot last night near Springwood Haven Hartshill area

Unusual place for it but the country seems to have gone mad over the last few weeks. 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Less than a mile from my house. Didn’t hear any sirens or anything so hopefully just a lone drunk. 

Saw your boat when I went over the bridge yesterday evening :)

:)

John's told me that when he got up to see see what the dog was barking at, he'd turned on the torch. Then he heard the man say "Look the bargie man's got a torch, here I am bargie man, turn the light on me" - don't think the guy was so much drunk as deranged. Normally, our dog's bark puts people off. But not this guy, he was confrontational, he was looking for a fight. 

We thought we'd be hanging around the area for a while, John's cousin died last weekend, and we're waiting to hear about the funeral arrangements which will be in Coventry. To be fair, we've never felt uncomfortable in this area before, and the towpaths are brilliant, which is why it's a great place to be in the winter.

If the op is concerned about the smell of cannabis then best to avoid the entire city of Bristol, including many of the posh bits, and also the entire canal through many other cities and towns.  My children tell me that the Landlord of one pub recently went into his beer garden and asked his customers to stop smoking for a hour or so whilst the police community officer was there!

Chester is a pleasant town but people openly deal drugs and shoot up on benches near the city centre.

Quite a few boaters cultivate interesting plants in the cratch.

............Dave