Narrowboat painters

Featured Posts

Its got to the stage where my boat ned a repaint, the existing paint has oxidised quite badly.

Ive got a few quotes to repaint my boat from local boatyards, Gloucester area. 

Are there any recommendations for painters further up Tewkesbury area.

One quote has been to take back to bare metal, windows out and spray with a 2 pack spray.

Is 2 Pack Spray getting common on boats compare with traditional painting methods?

I expect there will be loads of questions I will ask. 

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

Whilst sprayed paint looks great it is much more difficult to touch up without it being noticeable.

It’s generally thinner too. And a couple of sprayed boats I’ve seen had terrible orange peel to boot (probably because the sprayer was trying to get a thicker coat on). 

It is also far more difficult to get a good coating on areas such as hinges, underside of hatch runners and handrails, gas locker catches.....and Rivvits etc. These are all rust prone areas and can look very shabby within a very short time. Although JamesFrance extols the virtues of the early Hudson coach painters, most of his later boats were sprayed and these commonly show deterioration in these areas. Perrydale(Ashwood Basin) are another who's boats have both the above issues and the effect that Wotever points out.

Blue moon was repainted with 2 pack and was sprayed, the finish is excellent ( yes I’ve noticed a couple of runs, but who’s boat doesn’t have some minor issues with the paint) we’ve had so many compliments about the paint work while we’ve been out this year. Also the odd bramble and tree scratches have just rubbed out, wish I could say the same about the scratches from some crap lock hardware below the gunwales, that needs the paint bush out before winter.