Mooring at Alrewas for the National Memorial Arboretum?

Corixa

Featured Posts

We have a week out on our shared ownership boat next week. We would like to visit the Arboretum as it does not look to be too much of a walk from the canal at Alrewas. Just wondering where the best place to moor would be, hopefully not too close to a busy road if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edited by Corixa

The moorings above the bottom lock are (imho) the best, above the top lock are the second choice while the village centre are the poorest.

But I always take the first available, depending on which way I am going.

11 hours ago, frahkn said:

The moorings above the bottom lock are (imho) the best, above the top lock are the second choice while the village centre are the poorest.

But I always take the first available, depending on which way I am going.

This what we used to do as it always was (??presumably still is) a popular mooring spot and if you didn't bag the first available spot, especially if you have a longish boat you could bet that there was then no further places you could fit and then you'd end up winding going back and find somebody has nicked the spot you first saw.

3 hours ago, MJG said:

This what we used to do as it always was (??presumably still is) a popular mooring spot and if you didn't bag the first available spot, especially if you have a longish boat you could bet that there was then no further places you could fit and then you'd end up winding going back and find somebody has nicked the spot you first saw.

Mrs goes ahead with walkie talkie.  I hold at the spot unless there is one where we prefer.

On 07/09/2018 at 12:35, pearley said:

We visit at least once a year. Usually moor just above Bagnall Lock. An easy walk, just be careful when crossing the A38. 

I'll second that . The A38 is a busy dual carriageway. The parish council are trying to get a footbridge installed, but there isn't one yet, which means crossing that road is a bit dicey.

Jen

We moored just below Bagnall Lock after the winding hole and walked to the A513 via Fox Lane courtesy of Google maps. Not a very pleasant walk but at least we did not have to run the gauntlet across the A38, which was very busy both ways.

Well worth the 30 minutes walk too.

Thanks for all the replies.

Edited by Corixa