Victron Venus GX or Color control GX

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

58 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes, it works with the official victron cable.

Have you checked with a multimeter which pins connect to which on the official cable? And if there’s anything ‘active’ within the cable or either plug?

35 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Have you checked with a multimeter which pins connect to which on the official cable? And if there’s anything ‘active’ within the cable or either plug?

Not yet. My 2 USB leads are now back connected to the Rasp  Pi and the 2 BMVs so will test it later in the weekend when I have to take one of the leads off to change the settings on the MPPT using the cable to connect the MPPT to the macbook.

Below is an image of the VE direct cable with the USB bit on the end. It looks like quite a bit of active stuff going on.  The wire colours coming into the USB bit are the same as my victron direct cable ie black red and green as per the other Youtube link and a white one (yellow on the other link).

Any ideas Tony on what is in this box - can you recognise the chip and what it may be doing? The link on youtube you found made it sound very easy.

USB lead.png

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

However, with cables only costing about £18 why bother?

Yes, I think its not worth trying to bodge it.

Once I have the Lithiums set up, I wont need to connect the MPPT to the laptop ......and if I do I can use one of the cables to the Pi. I was just trying to utilse the victron direct cable (without the USB) that I have.

Thanks for the links.

4 minutes ago, jan-kees said:

if the MPPT's are connected to the venus/ raspberry.  you can modify them via the VRM website !

no need to be even present on the boat !

I have 2 usb leads and 2 BMV712s connected to the Pi. I need the volts/amps data from both BMV712s and only very occasionally need access to the MPPT to change settings.