Lister JP3 conversion to JP3Marine

Deard Pirate Roberts

Featured Posts

Hello Lister Brains trust.

Im working on two JP3's at the moment. One I would like to keep as a generator and the other convert into a marine propulsion. 

The second JP3 looks like a JP3MA long shaft, Im not totally convinced about that.

I see that Marine Power Services do an excellent job doing this. The difficulty is that I live on the other side of the planet. Australia.

So my request is knowledge based. And lots of it. 

Gear box requirements is see that MPS use Lister Blackstone on some and a adaptor and a PRM260 on others.

What bolt paten is used for this?

Flywheel is re located to the other end. It's the 23"one.  That would mean crank modifications.

What are the dimensions for this?   

Cooling Manifolds and silencers. Source original or attempt to have them manufactured, huge cost I imagine. 

Pumps fresh water and raw. Jabsco? or original. 

Oil supply internal or external? 

Electric start, ring gear and machining specs. 

Etc. 

As you can see I need a lot of help to complete this task if you are able to help on any topic I would be grateful.

Regards Scott

Hi Scott,

Firstly I think a photo of each of the engines you have will allow better advice as the amount of work required to convert from industrial to marine propulsion will vary hugely depending on the spec of what you are starting with and some cases it is not even really possible to do well.

Also you may save yourself a lot of pain by marinising the engine rather than trying to fully convert it to the marine spec like we do. Doing the full monty conversion is fairly easy for us as we have the patterns for the marine manifolds/silencer casting but as you mention I would go and sit in a dark room with a beer before I tell you the cost for a set of these.

P.S If you need parts even in Austrailia this isnt an issue, we have recently supplied, crank, rods, pistons and liners. along with all the bits to overhaul the injectors and pump and gaskets to a chap in NSW so it can be done.

Cheers,

Martyn

• Greenie 1

Hi Martin thanks for the advice, I will add some photos. And great to hear that you guys are happy to send parts required. Also very happy to hear that someone else in NSW is doing or has done a similar thing that wish to do. I would be very grateful for their details or if you could possibly pass my details to them. 

Regards Scott 

PS I have recently rebuilt a LPWS3 that is now powering a 36 foot Huon pine yacht. and Im completing work on a SL4M with a LM100 gearbox air cooled. this one will possibly go into a work boat or similar, it runs extremely well. So my new project is the JP3, I didn't expect to get two for the price of one. 

Regards Scott

Hi,Scott.....You shouldnt have much trouble finding  JP Lister parts,as the army sold tons of spares at Moorebank some years ago.......As you probably know,all old motors are scrap here in Oz,even running Gardners,........I have been scrapping JP stuff,including a barrow load of new feeler pin type injectors........Im currently surveying a big heap of main bearings,wondering how to get the white metal off them,before they go for scrap.So look around before paying massive freight costs from England.....I have a big collection of old British diesel engines,but its all going,as there has been another complaint to the council......old engines are unsightly goods....so into the bin.

8 hours ago, john.k said:

Hi,Scott.....You shouldnt have much trouble finding  JP Lister parts,as the army sold tons of spares at Moorebank some years ago.......As you probably know,all old motors are scrap here in Oz,even running Gardners,........I have been scrapping JP stuff,including a barrow load of new feeler pin type injectors........Im currently surveying a big heap of main bearings,wondering how to get the white metal off them,before they go for scrap.So look around before paying massive freight costs from England.....I have a big collection of old British diesel engines,but its all going,as there has been another complaint to the council......old engines are unsightly goods....so into the bin.

Can you contact us please? Sue@mes-midlands.co.uk

What you are scrapping is expensive to buy over here, so shipping costs may not be a problem. Don't scrap those bearings just yet

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Martyn,they are the big full circle end bearings,and in undersizes,which means you need new timing gears,etc.I dont have any of the intermediate split ones........the head gaskets are asbestos,so I sold them to the scrappies ,and good riddance....I was always impressed by the JPs a kid ,screwing out the changeover valve with flame and smoke blasting out.

4 minutes ago, john.k said:

Martyn,they are the big full circle end bearings,and in undersizes,which means you need new timing gears,etc.I dont have any of the intermediate split ones........the head gaskets are asbestos,so I sold them to the scrappies ,and good riddance....I was always impressed by the JPs a kid ,screwing out the changeover valve with flame and smoke blasting out.

Or boring out for other sizes. 

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Can you contact us please? Sue@mes-midlands.co.uk

What you are scrapping is expensive to buy over here, so shipping costs may not be a problem. Don't scrap those bearings just yet

Richard

My first thought on reading this thread was along the lines of “don’t scrap that stuff, send it to Martyn or Richard”!

A container full of Gardner and Lister bits could be very useful?

Edited by Stilllearning
Afterthought

i dont have a container full,and asbestos is getting to be super big deal here,and with council inspectors buzzing round,I have to be very careful....Had a laugh at the scrappies tho,I warned him the gaskets were asbestos,and not to put them thru the shredder,....So he says..No worries ....we will strip them in the "clean room"......the whole place is like the black hole of calcutta......and he grinned with 3 teeth.....orrible.

1 hour ago, john.k said:

i dont have a container full,and asbestos is getting to be super big deal here,and with council inspectors buzzing round,I have to be very careful....Had a laugh at the scrappies tho,I warned him the gaskets were asbestos,and not to put them thru the shredder,....So he says..No worries ....we will strip them in the "clean room"......the whole place is like the black hole of calcutta......and he grinned with 3 teeth.....orrible.

Can you email whatever you have got to the email address I gave?

10 hours ago, john.k said:

You do realise that scrapping any JP parts means you should be sent to the colonies with hard labour don’t you??...oh wait a minute!!....seriously tho....there’s many back in Blighty that would have happily taken them from you....do please drop Richard a line as requested. 

Hi John looks like you might be saving some of the Lister and Gardner parts, far to good for scrap. Im very grateful you have made contact. 

Im a Aga and Rayburn cooker tech here in Australia for my day job. We come into contact with asbestos regularly, we "suite up" and follow procedures to handle and dispose of the nasty stuff safely. 

Im coming up your way soonish and it would be great to catch up, I might even be able to help you send some of those parts to the good people of the UK. 

Regards Scott

I have had a look at the bearings.......the army tag says......"Set,bearing,gear end ,inner and outer...2".........so its one flanged bearing .wt 10 lbs,...one plain bearing ,wt 8.1 lbs.......there are 5 sets of 2....nothing to get excited about.....Unfortunately ,there are no part numbers on the bearings that I can see....Other stuff will be all mixed up with years of  engine bits.....the main bulk was the old head gaskets ,four big cartons full..............and asbestos is a big deal......if the council finds it.