Are Defra stoves a nightmare to keep in overnight?

Colin Brendan

Featured Posts

No, but you might need a different fuel on them.  I think that every stove installation (even on the same type of stove) has it's preferred fuel and technique.  

I like supertherm on our stove - and can get about 30 hours out of it on low before it chokes on it's own ash.

It does make a *lot* of ash though, but that helps keep it going enough that a couple of bits of kindling and a bit more air restart it..

31 minutes ago, Colin Brendan said:

...because you cant close them down enough...

We can keep ours in overnight with no problem. A  Charnwood C5 and not on a boat, not that that  makes much difference.

I would just say that after doing this for more than a few nights the griddle becomes quite clogged meaning it becomes quite hard to shake down ash into the pan. Not sure if this is to do with it being a DEFRA approved* stove or not.

*for the pedantic amongst the forum I am aware 'DEFRA approved'  is not actually a strictly valid term, however colloquially it has a generally accepted meaning.

Edited by MJG

I think it depends on the stove. We have two approved stoves at home because we live in a smokeless zone. They are both made by Clearview. The 500 will easily stay in all night because it can be closed right down. The Pioneer 400 cannot be closed right down, the damper is modified to make it impossible. Consequently, too much air gets in and the fuel is exhausted before morning. The Morso on the boat will stay in all night but it's not Defra approved.  

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What is a DEFRA approved stove then?

Aren't all stoves DEFRA approved these days?

Ed _ I thought it was a serious question

Edited by MJG

There must be others like me who had never heard of a DEFRA approved stove.  (I have 3 wood-burning stoves, 2 at home and one on the boat, but all quite old now).  So here's all you need to know https://www.thestoveyard.com/resource-centre-home/what-is-a-defra-approved-stove

Is it true what Mike says that you can't buy any other kind these days?

11 hours ago, Colin Brendan said:

...because you cant close them down enough...

Looks like it..  quoted from link posted above

However, if you intend to slumber burn with wood fuel to extend the burn time (eg overnight) then a Defra Approved stove will not offer you the same burn time as a non-Defra Approved equivalent. This is because a minimum amount of combustion air will always be delivered to keep the fuel from the smoky smouldering that is associated with slumber burning. Even if you swapped fuel to a smokeless coal for overnight burning and were using a multi fuel Defra Approved stove then the continuous supply of secondary air required for the configuration would still significantly curb the burn time of the smokeless coal. That is not to say that Defra Approved stoves are inefficient, quite the reverse. They stove ensure that enough combustion air is continuously supplied to make the wood burn effectively throughout the whole burn cycle.Of course If you live in a Smoke Control Area and you want to burn wood, then you don't have the choice.
Edited by Robbo

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Which is of course complete garbage if the thing won’t stay slight. 

The flue on all my boats has got hot and that heat helps warm the boat as part of the installation.

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The flue on all my boats has got hot and that heat helps warm the boat as part of the installation.

Best stove for boat is probably a non defra less efficient one, with a insulated outside flue but standard single flue inside.

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

There must be others like me who had never heard of a DEFRA approved stove.  (I have 3 wood-burning stoves, 2 at home and one on the boat, but all quite old now).  So here's all you need to know https://www.thestoveyard.com/resource-centre-home/what-is-a-defra-approved-stove

Is it true what Mike says that you can't buy any other kind these days?

No. We bought ours last year and you could buy non Defra approved back then and still can. You only really need one if you intend burning wood in a smoke control area (which we are in and we intended to burn wood and smokeless fuel). If you just burn smokeless fuel and not wood you currently don't need one.

However in three years things change and new stoves sold will need to meet this but I'm not 100% if it just applies in the same way as the current exemption as in for burning wood in smoke control areas or if its universal for all new stoves.

http://www.stoveindustryalliance.com/ecodesign-ready-stoves-and-air-quality/

This link seems to say more clearly it will only apply to wood burners. So if you only burn smokeless fuel it would appear a stove bought after 2022 would not have to meet this std.

https://www.hetas.co.uk/ecodesign-ready/

Edited by MJG