No pressure.

Paul HD

Featured Posts

The type of mixer tap you have in the bathroom usually has two narrow bore supply pipes.I believe you sai that you do not have hot water, so is it possible that some debris has got through the cold water 15mm pipes, but could be blocking the flexible narrow bore pipe and restricting flow.

Edited by David Schweizer

59 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Limescale - Have you unscrewed the filter in the tap ?

It has a couple of flats on it - molegrips, unscrew, remove filter scrape clean refit.

I have actually removed my filters as they were lime-scaling up so regularly.

39 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

The type of mixer tap you have in the bathroom usually has two narrow bore supply pipes.I believe you sai that you do not have hot water, so is it possible that some debris has got through the cold water 15mm pipes, but could be blocking the flexible narrow bore pipe and restricting flow.

Thank you guys.

I will check the filter and pipes. 

The filter will be in the end of the tap?

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Did this tap ever work properly or has it always been like that?

Hi,

Not sure. I never had contact with the previous owner of the boat. It was flagged up on the survey. I have just now started to look into it.

Edited by Paul HD

1 hour ago, Paul HD said:

Hi,

Not sure. I never had contact with the previous owner of the boat. It was flagged up on the survey. I have just now started to look into it.

Ok, so no history of it ever working properly. My money is on it being an unsuitable tap for your low(ish) pressure water supply. 

Do you have any other taps in the boat? Do they work properly?

Ok having now watched your video, I'd be disconnecting the pipes from the tap tails and seeing if they discharge nice and fast into a bucket. Test both hot and cold. This will rule in or out the tap itself. 

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok having now watched your video, I'd be disconnecting the pipes from the tap tails and seeing if they discharge nice and fast into a bucket. Test both hot and cold. This will rule in or out the tap itself. 

In the video he does say there is no hot water on the boat.

7 minutes ago, bizzard said:

My money's on the spout filter.

I would agree; we had a very similar problem with a bathroom tap and the gauze filter was so badly clogged with limescale that in attempting to get rid of it I destroyed the mesh. Since then it flows at full power. 

Howard

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It has a couple of flats on it - molegrips, unscrew, remove filter scrape clean refit.

Ouch! They won't be flats for long! Why not a proper spanner, or at the very least, a nut rounder (adjustable spanner, or clef anglais).

I've found that ceramic disc valve taps troublesome on boats, leaking around the taps body from the disc. I've had to renew a few relatively young ones around here, probably due to hard limey water. I had to remove the spout filters on all of them at an earlier stage. Beware of traces of white lime stains from the body swivel bit.

Edited by bizzard

Just to be clear, I bought the boat with this plumbing already in place. There is a shower tray installed but no shower head. I suppose the previous owner was going to have hot water at some stage.

I don't have any intention of having hot water so would it be best to leave the plumbing as it is?

Edited by Paul HD

20 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I've found that ceramic disc valve taps troublesome on boats, leaking around the taps body from the disc. I've had to renew a few relatively young ones around here, probably due to hard limey water. I had to remove the spout filters on all of them at an earlier stage. Beware of traces of white lime stains from the body swivel bit.

Thanks for the tip.  ?

On 06/09/2018 at 14:46, Alan de Enfield said:

Hi All,

Quick follow up video of the water flow problem.

Big thumbs up to you Alan for the advice.