possibly the most unsuitable vessel for the canals

GUMPY

Featured Posts

On 06/09/2018 at 19:30, crossley said:

That reminds me of the circraft.

These were a circular speedboat about 7 feet diameter designed by a friend of my father's in the mid  1970's. The outboard motor was fixed dead ahead, and steering was by leaning over to one side or the other. A few people had a go at making them but they never caught on. Was featured on tomorrow's world if I remember. They rode up on two plywood skis fitted underneath. Had the endearing habit of flipping right over if the motor was slammed in astern so the reverse gear had to be blanked off. I vividly remember going on a prototype on poynton pool during poynton show. 

That's interesting, when we were on the Broads I  had a dinghy that I steered  by leaning, it was an ex èel boat and had massive  freeboard and so if sitting down  I couldn't see ahead despite a sack of sand in the forward locker, so standing up with a tiller extension was the only way to  go .

Phil 

Edited by Phil Ambrose