possibly the most unsuitable vessel for the canals

GUMPY

Featured Posts

they where a nightmare to steer in the north sea passengers would go to doorway for fresh air which lifted the prop out of the water and made manoeuvring difficult.

The layout would be a nightmare to do  .

1 hour ago, howardang said:

I looked it up

Google says "Klaatu barada nikto" is a phrase originating in the 1951 science fiction film, The Day the Earth Stood Still. The humanoid alien protagonist of the film, Klaatu (Michael Rennie), instructed Helen Benson (Patricia Neal) that, were anything to happen to him she must say the phrase to the robot Gort (Lockard Martin)

Howard

This one?

2550_GORT_2.jpg

That reminds me of the circraft.

These were a circular speedboat about 7 feet diameter designed by a friend of my father's in the mid  1970's. The outboard motor was fixed dead ahead, and steering was by leaning over to one side or the other. A few people had a go at making them but they never caught on. Was featured on tomorrow's world if I remember. They rode up on two plywood skis fitted underneath. Had the endearing habit of flipping right over if the motor was slammed in astern so the reverse gear had to be blanked off. I vividly remember going on a prototype on poynton pool during poynton show. 

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

It's considerably more attractive then most of the floating (or in some cases semi floating) shacks that have appeared on the Fossditch in the last few months!

I find it curiously attractive too. 

But £15k??!!!! If it was £1,500 I'd probably buy it and CM on the K&A...

On 06/09/2018 at 13:41, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The pictures on Ebay don't look very London. How does it handle in reverse? Since you can't tell what's forward and what's reverse, or sideways for that matter.

Jen

No, I saw it last year somewhere on the Paddington Arm, and one of the pictures shows it under the old wharf overhang at Brentford.

I wonder how they get that platform thing up onto the roof and down again.

On 07/09/2018 at 22:55, Peter X said:

No, I saw it last year somewhere on the Paddington Arm, and one of the pictures shows it under the old wharf overhang at Brentford.

I wonder how they get that platform thing up onto the roof and down again.

It has a hook point in the top, which by a Handle inside could be unhooked from the drop line, that it is suspended on when in place on platform.

Thank you b0atman for your answer, although I don't think I can get my head around it without a diagram. Fortunately I don't need to understand, as I'm certainly not considering buying the ghastly vessel, or worse still building another like it. But I suppose somebody out there will buy it off eBay late one night, and they may even like it after they've sobered up.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, J R ALSOP said:

I think that with all these new odd shaped boats that are appearing on our canals there is a opportunity for a new "I Spy" book of canal boats.

Which is very appropriate to this thread, as James Bond used one of these exact pods with a luxury interior refit.

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Which is very appropriate to this thread, as James Bond used one of these exact pods with a luxury interior refit.

Wasn’t that the ‘Re-entry’ gag?  Oh no, it was ‘foreign relations’ I think.